diy solar

diy solar

Dumping excess to 120VAC water heater?

I am dumping my Sol-Ark extra power (smart load) into my solar 80 gallon hot water tank (its a hot water tank that feeds from solar hot water roof panels) Tank the elemnet I installed is 3500 watts (thats the max for Sol-ark they said). It a 240 element. That tank had no elements when I put it in years ago. Now its free water heat. Its been a great think to do with any extra power you generate. This tank feeds out 40 gallon natural gas water heater.I also have grundfus smart pump that is recirculating the hot water thru house off the bootom 40 gallon tank drain for instant hot water at all the taps.

I am dumping my Sol-Ark extra power (smart load) into my solar 80 gallon hot water tank (its a hot water tank that feeds from solar hot water roof panels) Tank the elemnet I installed is 3500 watts (thats the max for Sol-ark they said). It a 240 element. That tank had no elements when I put it in years ago. Now its free water heat. Its been a great think to do with any extra power you generate. This tank feeds out 40 gallon natural gas water heater.I also have grundfus smart pump that is recirculating the hot water thru house off the bootom 40 gallon tank drain for instant hot water at all the taps.
nice... I am like 5 minutes closer to a stainless 6k gallon tank.... it keeps on popping up on yahoo auction saying buy me and make me into a whole house heater from excess summer solar power. ;)

okay, i'm going to bump this up as I'm considering adding a 20gal 120v AC electric water heater as a "pre-heater" that feeds my 70gal gas primary water heater.

have you considered going that route? essentially, just plumb the electric heater before the gas one. in theory, it should heat the water and then only the gas tank maintains.

I have on order a 30 gallon tank that I intend to install 2 - 2000w 120vAC elements into I already bought. It is replacing a present 50 gallon tank that has 2-3500w 240vAC elements (original were 4500w) that is about 16 years old (still works good) that is wired to a switch that allows me to turn it on when I am planning on using hot water and off otherwise to save on electricity. Being a single old guy I have no need to keep a always hot source of water on hand.

By switching to 120v I will be able to power the water heater via my off grid AIO in case of loss of grid. The wire in place is 10awg 2 with ground so I will simply change the existing hot white wire into a neutral wire. With 10awg the 2000w at 120v will be no problem.

yep, makes sense to me. I need to get my well pump converted to 120v or DC before I tackle a 120v water heater.

Weld an element bung or two onto the side of the gas heater.

This kind of setup seems the best.

If offgrid and not so sun rich, a tank in series before an on-demand propane unit would be good.

yep, makes sense to me. I need to get my well pump converted to 120v or DC before I tackle a 120v water heater.
I use a rain water collection system that feeds a 120v 1/3 hp surface jet pump to hydromatic tank for pressure (30-50psi). I have a well on the place but it is over 800ft deep and calcium rich water. Only start it up when doing outdoor things like washing my truck or equipment.

I need to get my well pump converted to 120v or DC before I tackle a 120v water heater.
120V AC Grundfos pumps work well on inverters. No startup surge. Had one put in maybe 5 years ago for less than $1k to replace a large surge 240V AC pump.

Back