diy solar

diy solar

Dumpster Fire: Bluetti AC200 and EB Reviews on Amazon

Bryanbr

The reviews of the Bluetti AC200 product on Amazon are pretty brutal. So many apparently bad and defective products shipped with the AC200P line early in the introduction of the product.

Horrible customer service. DOA units. Faulty units that won't charge to 100%. Tons of error codes.

It's difficult to know how much to trust Amazon reviews because so many bad reviews can be review-bombs by competitors. There's a couple reviewers who say they will never trust YouTube reviewers again. I guess that must mean Will and Hobotech.

Is there any reason to trust that they will get these issues sorted out?

Is it a growth problem? Maybe Bluetti/Maxoak isn't able to scale out their manufacturing?

If they have manufacturing and quality issues with the AC200P, it seems like those issues would also plague the AC200Max and AC300.

Maybe Bluetti has priced these units so aggressively that they haven't properly built the cost of returning and refurbishing 60lb/150lb units into the cost structure?

Last edited:
It‘s always the same. If you want a out of the box plug and play system, it‘s highly recommended to choose Jackery or Goal Zero. Expensive, but they works as aspected. My old and first Yeti, a 400 with a AGM battery runs since many years without issues.

Or DIY if you are able to do this. You can learn it, it’s not a rocket science, read and ask the forum.

If we're looking at the same Amazon listing (ASIN B08MZJW9Y5), I'm not sure I would call it a "dumpster fire". It has a score of 4.5 over 569 ratings with 8% of reviews having 1-2 stars. So there's definitely some negative reviews citing the issues you mentioned, but I'm not sure it's a disaster. All electronics have reliability issues .... TVs, computers, etc.

Even Ely's beloved Goal Zero products have negative reviews. For example, the GZ 3000X has a 4.6 rating with 4% of reviews having 1-2 stars.

So is it possible that Bluetti has slightly higher failure rates compared to GZ and Jackery? Maybe, but I'd happily risk it for the dramatically reduced cost.

I always have to remind myself to take into account the "idiot factor" for products like this. I have an acquaintance who bought a Duracell (something like 200-500wh capacity) "portable power station" and left it a HORRIBLE review for it because it wouldn't run a hot plate or a big flat screen TV.

Electronics and electrical capacity are relatively simple concepts, but not everybody understands them. I've seen tons of bad reviews that were clearly due to user error or misunderstanding of the specs.

If we're looking at the same Amazon listing (ASIN B08MZJW9Y5),

Yes, that's the listing. I suppose Dumpster Fire is an exaggeration. If you click All Review, it seems half of that initial page are 1 and 2 star, and half are five star.

One of the five star reviews on the first page was paid for by Bluetti with a free unit.

The complexity of the unit might simply be too much for many people. Requiring the users to select between Solar or Wall charging is probably expecting more than many people are capable of.

Zendure might have the better idea:

(1) Simple buttons to select between AC and DC.
(2) The Phone App provides all of the complex configuration.

Bluetti's touch screen interface might simply be too complex for the average user.

I find the Bluetti to be a great unit.
I've remodeled a couple of vans and using a Bluetti is so much easier for most people than having to deal with Charge controllers, multiple batteries, inverters, hodge podge of breakers & wires.

Can't speak about their customer service as I have not need to call on them..."yet" Hope I don't.

Longevity will be important. I've used two units so far both working great but I am only into 13 months and the other 5 months.

The latest bluetti's are pretty sweet. The AC300 I have is running 24/7 and has passed every test I've thrown at it.

Usually after about 6 months of having a product on the market, bluetti fixes the software bugs. Then they are usually very reliable. The first few batches are garbage.

I still think people should build an all-in-one unit and add their own battery. But I do understand the simplicity of a bluetti.

I do like goalzero's inverter circuits, they can handle surges extremely well. And they are reliable. But overpriced, heavy and lack so many features. The solar charge controller is a joke on all units.

I think you should try an ecoflow instead. They are sweet.

The charge controller in my Yeti 1000X can handle 600 watts. Even the very small 200X can charge with 120 watts. This is not so bad and good for the lifespan of the battery.

A bit slow is the Jackery (I have a 1000 and a little 240). But they starts charge from 1 watt under extreme bad weather circumstances, the 1000X need at minimum 25 watts. This is not so good. It's better to charge with 20 watts the whole day instead with 0 watts.

The latest bluetti's are pretty sweet. The AC300 I have is running 24/7 and has passed every test I've thrown at it.

Usually after about 6 months of having a product on the market, bluetti fixes the software bugs. Then they are usually very reliable. The first few batches are garbage.

I still think people should build an all-in-one unit and add their own battery. But I do understand the simplicity of a bluetti.

Any chance you can check the polarity of your AC300 and AC200Max to see if they have miswired outlets like the consumers getting 200max units right now?

Yep. Apparently they swapped the hot and neutral on a LOT of units, and are inconsistent on wiring the 5-20 and Tt-30 receptacles the same

So are these units just disasters waiting to happen?

Are they going to recall them?

I guess it's another reminder to never buy a product that hasn't been out in the field for at least a year.

Electronics and electrical capacity are relatively simple concepts, but not everybody understands them.
I'm in the boat as well, as I'm no electrician. I think a lot of it has to do with advertising. Bluetti advertised a surge of 4800W on the AC200MAX so I originally ordered it to start my dust collector as I've only got a 60 amp circuit to the garage with multiple CNC machines and hate running cords to balance the breaker. I used an online calculator and input 2,200w (advertised nominal) @ 120v which comes to 18.3~ amps and was like surely this will work, but I was sadly wrong. The dust collector is on a 15 amp circuit. That day I learned something about inductive loads. . .

We ordered and prepaid for the Bluetti AC300 and B300 battery combo. Of course delivery has been delayed. BUT, there were damages to the B300s that were being shipped. They are going to “reinforce” inside and repackage them. This has me quite concerned and we are considering cancelling the order. Will still has them on the website and is recommending them. I don’t want to be a new product Guinea pig and so far the customer service at Bluetti has been weak.
I am totally capable of installing an all-in-one-system in our home. The idea is for partial off grid all the time.
What would you do?

My ac300 has been running 24/7 for months and not a single hiccup. Might be my favorite model so far. I don't know how they got it right this time, but it's solid.

I would not worry about it. These things are great. Have installed them in two vans. No problems and ease of use is hard to beat. I just finished another install with the pallet of Victron modules such a pain in the a@@.

A Bluettit with an extra battery pack is a great setup.

Pretty much the same as this setup 400ah.. but portable and way way way easier to setup and use.
I spent a whole day bolting this up and still have to add stuff.

You will be happy!

Attachments

• victron-setup.jpg
    victron-setup.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 34
My ac300 has been running 24/7 for months and not a single hiccup. Might be my favorite model so far. I don't know how they got it right this time, but it's solid.
Have you tested the AC300 in a 240 volt split phase configuration?

Back