diy solar

diy solar

Dyi battery to fronius hybrid inverter

So to start with the Fronius inverter reverse engineering, is there some user on this forum that has batteries hooked up to a Fronius inverter? It would make it so much easier if we could get a log file from a working system!
Not many yet I don't think. I know my local installer has installed one for a local business but I don't know the business. Installation hasn't gone totally smooth with the supported battery but I assume they worked it out.
Am I correct that Froni gives only 3kW power to the protected load ?
In an outage the Gen24 inverter can supply power just from solar PV without a battery (assuming there is sufficient output from the panels), to a dedicated power outlet (not general circuits) and this is limited to 3kW (13A @ 230/240V).

In battery backup mode the inverter can supply power up to its output limit or the output limit of the connected battery, whichever is the lower.

At the moment the only officially compatible battery is the BYD Battery-Box Premium HVS/HVM, which range from 5 to 22kWh. Power output depends on the battery size chosen, as operating voltage varies.

Last edited:
I now have a loaner BYD battery that I will start reverse engineering! Video series is available here:

Now to continue with reverse engineering the Modbus RTU protocol so that we can connect ~50kWh of spent LEAF battery packs instead... :D

Good luck for the project :)

Here is a little description with pics about the LG RESU 10H (also can be used with Fronius inverter).

Hi, I just got a Fronius Gen24 Symo 5.0 inverter. I am going to start looking into reverse engineering the communication between the battery and inverter so that we can get a DIY solution available. I'll post more about this in a build thread.

EDIT: Here's the build thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/dalas-solar-powered-workshop-diy-powerwall-coming.23732/

So to start with the Fronius inverter reverse engineering, is there some user on this forum that has batteries hooked up to a Fronius inverter? It would make it so much easier if we could get a log file from a working system!
Have you managed to build one by now?

We are close, Tesla Model 3 is working with the Gen24 now!
I've been follwoing your endeavors on Youtube for about a year and I'm really happy to see you succeeded ... congratulations :)

Do you think there's a way to use (at least 3) standard LiFePo4 DIY batteries in individual 16s packs wired in series to get to the right minimal input voltage for the Fronius at arout 150v as a modular battery solution just like BYD does it? While I'm techncally adapt I'm lacking in the DIY Battery compartment, as I don't know (and couldn't find an answer online) if its possible to use 3 BMS in series and so on.

Today I turned on a LEAF pack connected directly to the grid
8-)

7ZdM8FU.png

More info on the project here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/BYD-Battery-Emulator-For-Gen24

This is a gamechanger for how easy it is to re-use old LEAF packs as-is for stationary storage.

Back