diy solar

diy solar

DYI Parts and connectors

2Big2B

Free Wheeler
I am building a 8S 12v/100AH pack for a power wheelchair. I will use a DALY LiFePo4 8S 24V 100A BMS (common port - whatever that means) with it, connected with some kind of fuse protection, preferably a breaker switch. I have been following "DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse" YouTube videos. Fascinating.

I am wondering about some of the builds that Will has done that look modular. One video was with Fortune cells, but I think he used the same thing on other brands/types. They look like the each cells fit into independent molded blue plastic base, top and covers - fitting together like Legos. Very elegant. Is that something that is consumer available or is that something custom 3D printed? They would be a neat accessory for someone to sell on ebay.

Below are the type of cells I am using (I don't know what these type are called). Being for a mobility application I wanted 100ah in as light and small a package as possible. I am aware that they have those unfortunate skinny narrow posts and are easily stripped out. I think it has been suggested to use Red Loctite after final assembly to avoid ever needing to mess with them again. I am wondering if I need specific busbars between these cells? If so, I need to know what to get and where to get them. I also note that most busbars available on ebay are made of various alloys.Battey pack busbar.jpg
Copper busbars are much more expensive. Is that an important consideration for what I am building? shall I just find some copper plumbing pipe, and get out my drill gun and a saw? (I am sort of too lazy for that though!)

Also, do I need a fuse and/or an appropriate DC breaker switch between the pack and the BMS. In one of his videos Will suggested a 300amp fuse in one setup that was attached to pigtail cable connector. Overkill? Was that custom made, or can I buy one like that? Would a circuit breaker be better? What specification would that need to be and where should I get that? I have one in mind, picture attached.

I will also need an appropriate battery charger. I am finding very few candidates so far. I am still researching what amperage to get, what exactly to get and where to get one. I can either go up to 10AH to plug in through the chairs wiring, or a lot more with some sort of direct connect to the battery pack.

Any advice?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Daly 8s 12v 20ah.png
    Daly 8s 12v 20ah.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • circuit breaker.jpg
    circuit breaker.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1
  • experpower 20ah charger photo.jpg