diy solar

diy solar

Earthing an inverter and not bonding neutral to earth

Chadd

Renogy 3000W 240V Off-Grid Pure-Sine Wave Inverter​

The instructions say do not connect the earth to neutral.

It must be safe then to use it with just an earth to the earth terminal on the inverter ?

Anything powered by it will be by fly leads.

When we used the generator or the small inverter we had in a caravan, I never thought about earths.

If you are outside powering tools with an inverter or generator, you don't see people using earth rods : )

But if an appliance developed a short from one live wire to earth, nothing would happen ?

I understand about trips and leakage, but without the neutral connected to earth they would not work ?

If the inverter is connected to earth, it will be the same connection as the mains earth / neutral.

If an appliance the inverter is feeding develops a leak / short from one of the live wires to its case, the earth / mains neutral will be at that potential.

But with no return to touch. there would be nothing to complete the circuit or warn of the problem ?.

So how is that safe ?

Thank You Chadd

If installing in an RV there is no need for earth ground unless connected to utility power and will be included in the utility connection with the inverter isolated by the transfer switch.

I am seriously thinking of using an RVD as per below in my planned Growatt 3000TL Hybrid Inverter and Growatt 4.8Kw 48v Battery, Solar system. In Australia nearly all homes are fitted with RCD's (Residual Current Devices) for Mains ( Grid Power) for personal protection in case of electrical problems in lights, appliances..

Back