diy solar

diy solar

Easiest Budget Setup for Van Conversion?

Is it an aluminum copper wire or whatever it’s called? They’re too long for my setup so I’m assuming I’m better off cutting my own to size with my better quality copper 4awg
As long as you’re making the cable I’d go a size or two bigger than ‘required’ if I was doing it. Big inverter cables never hurt anything (I still fuse for the lesser amps rating of the smaller cable when I do that. It will never blow in normal circumstances but if there is an ‘event’ the smallest fuse necessary is a good idea).

Good read - enjoyed the discussion! I did a diesel Promaster but since I am in humid Florida we had to have A/C and we wanted to avoid generators and propane....which meant 2-3000 Watts of inverter 24-volt LIFEPO4 at the heart of the system. We went with all-in-one 24V LV2424 which inverts, is MPPT, and charger. Need to add BlueTooth to it as hooking up tablet is a PITA. We have 280AH now and will double when we retire and boondock more. 400 Watts solar was all I could fit on the roof with vents and A/C so we also added a DC-to-DC for alternator charging.

If I didnt need A/C I would have gone 12-volt everything and spent a bit more on a 12-volt fridge (not dorm type 115v). Would be simpler and easier over-all and not needing inverter for fridge would be more efficient when everything else is turned off.....my LV eats a lot of power just idling which is unfortunate.

Good read - enjoyed the discussion! I did a diesel Promaster but since I am in humid Florida we had to have A/C and we wanted to avoid generators and propane....which meant 2-3000 Watts of inverter 24-volt LIFEPO4 at the heart of the system. We went with all-in-one 24V LV2424 which inverts, is MPPT, and charger. Need to add BlueTooth to it as hooking up tablet is a PITA. We have 280AH now and will double when we retire and boondock more. 400 Watts solar was all I could fit on the roof with vents and A/C so we also added a DC-to-DC for alternator charging.

If I didnt need A/C I would have gone 12-volt everything and spent a bit more on a 12-volt fridge (not dorm type 115v). Would be simpler and easier over-all and not needing inverter for fridge would be more efficient when everything else is turned off.....my LV eats a lot of power just idling which is unfortunate.

What did that setup cost you, and what kind of AC is it?

Coleman 13000btu roof unit. Got the batteries from china 280AHx8. LV2424 was $600 from china.

Wow...you did an entire electrical system upgrade for $600! That's impressive.
I ended up with a couple of grand in mine, and it doesn't even do AC.

LOL - I didnt include batteries as prices change daily - the LV24 charger/mppt/inverter was 600.

Back