diy solar

diy solar

East Tester ET5410

Repro

Solar Enthusiast
I ordered the East Tester ET 5410 and it arrived in two days. I was super surprised as it is has long delivery times right now. I put it to the test last night on a battery I recently purchased to verify my previous testing. I also have a smart shunt with data logging, and it always seemed to have differing results that were most times far off those of my old load tester. So I decided to get this.

My results between this load tester and my smart shunt were much much closer. So close that they were off by 1Ah on the capacity test. I am happy as I feel that I now have accurate testing. The tester is really easy to use once you understand the navigation. That took about 30 minutes to get used to the interface and menu's. It has a wide range of selectable measurements, and testing modes that go beyond the scope of my knowledge.

It is well built and very solid. It doesn't come with any testing leads, so be prepared to make your own. It can provide loads up to 40A, and this drastically shortens test time on batteries with big capacities. The color display is big easy to read. It is solid and well built. if you are looking for a load tester, just take a look this one, and do more research on others as well. This one was priced so that I could afford it, and it performs well. I hope this helps someone looking for a load tester.

By the way, I am happy to announce that my new battery has surpassed its rated capacity :)

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpg
    IMG_4391.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4392.jpg
    IMG_4392.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 59
Yes, I am very happy with mine. I have been talking with the manufacturer, and apparently this month they will add voltage sense leads. Did you order from Amazon? I did, they sent me a second one because I asked what happened to the keyboard connector that they show on the front. I wasn't going to use it, I was just curious. Now I have two and can pull 80 amps for a cell, or 50 amps for a 12v pack.

Yes , I did order mine from Amazon. I did not get the version with the keyboard connector on the front. The version I ordered did not even show the connector. I do however, have the problem that after use, the screen reverts automatically to the Chinese language. It took me hours to find the menu and change it to English. I have noted the steps to change the language. I have to do that every time I turn it on. I have changed the settings to have it call up the last settings, to default settings, and yet I still have to switch to English each time. I am going to probably return it as this is not a feature I like to deal with, and this is not a cheap tool. I am glad you were rewarded with two devices.

If I didn't have the language issue, this would be the absolute best battery testing tool I have been able to find. Maybe I will request a replacement and see it the problem is resolved. Thanks for your input.

Yes , I did order mine from Amazon. I did not get the version with the keyboard connector on the front. The version I ordered did not even show the connector. I do however, have the problem that after use, the screen reverts automatically to the Chinese language. It took me hours to find the menu and change it to English. I have noted the steps to change the language. I have to do that every time I turn it on. I have changed the settings to have it call up the last settings, to default settings, and yet I still have to switch to English each time. I am going to probably return it as this is not a feature I like to deal with, and this is not a cheap tool. I am glad you were rewarded with two devices.

If I didn't have the language issue, this would be the absolute best battery testing tool I have been able to find. Maybe I will request a replacement and see it the problem is resolved. Thanks for your input.
I recommend you ask them on the Alibaba chat, they can probably help. I will note that mine does not revert to Chinese, but the new one I just received I haven't checked.

That is a link to their Alibaba store and product.

Link to their website. It does have docs and software.

Thanks for the links and info. I already wrote to sales@east-tester.com immediately after posting to your reply. That contact was on the documentation with the device. If I don’t get a resolution, I will simply return it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the links and info. I already wrote to sales@east-tester.com immediately after posting to your reply. That contact was on the documentation with the device. If I don’t get a resolution, I will simply return it. Thanks again.
I think the first one I received needed to be changed to English, but it has retained that after and doesn't need to be reset.
The second one, comes up in English.
Perhaps they can tell you how to save that as a default (I didn't do anything special), or provide a new firmware flash to set the default.
I also have a Kunkin KP184, and the ET5410 is much easier to operate from the front panel due to the display.

I have done a reset several times. I have also set the setting to call up "Last" and to "Default" settings. This recalls the last used settings, or the default settings. Neither work. If I turn off the unit, unplug it and then turn it on again, it goes back to Chinese. I have tried everything I could find in the documentation. I have found absolutely nothing online. I am waiting on a reply from the manufacturer now. I will post once I get a reply and resolution.

Yes, that would be frustrating. I must be lucky, neither of mine are having this problem (I just checked the one I received Saturday to make sure). I know they just got new stock in at Amazon, that is where I just got one on Saturday. I just asked why mine didn't have a keyboard connector like the picture, and they sent me one with the keyboard connector. They didn't have to, I was just curious. Now I'm looking for where I put an old Celeron NUC so I can test the USB interface (we moved since I last used it, I just haven't used it since my KVM already has all 4 ports in use). It has a retail copy of Windows 8 pro installed, so I am going to load Windows 10 pro on it and just remote desktop to it.

I see now what you mean by the keyboard connection on the front. It looks like an old DIN 4 pin connector on the picture. Mine does not have that, however, I do have a USB and a RS232 on the rear. The CD is kind of useless as CD/DVD drives are a thing of the past. I worked in IT most of my life and I don't even won one anymore. There is no download for any software to be found.

As far a your Celeron NUC is concerned, if you have a DN2820FY series NUC, it will support WIN & through 10 up to 64bit. If you have a CD drive give it a whirl. Let me know how it goes.

I got a replacement ET5410, the old one was returned. They determined that the "Last" setting did not work and my unit was resetting to factory default when the power was shut off. The new one retains the last settings used to include seeing English when turned on.

This device has some good uses besides capacity testing. I have two self built generators that have not seen any use since October last year. I connected the tester and took the batteries down to 12.8V. They will stay that way until May. I am happy with the tester and hope this information can be valuable to anyone looking for such a device.

Last edited:
I got a replacement ET5410, the old one was returned. They determined that the "Last" setting did not work and my unit was resetting to factory default when the power was shut off. The new one retains the last settings used to include seeing English when turned on.

This device has some good uses besides capacity testing. I have two self built generators that have not seen any use since October last year. I connected the tester and took the batteries down to 12.8V. They will stay that way until May. I am happy with the tester and hope this information can be valuable to anyone looking to such a device.
I just used the two I have to verify the modifications I made to my Riden power supply allow it to put out 720 watts without dieing in 30 minutes.

I see now what you mean by the keyboard connection on the front. It looks like an old DIN 4 pin connector on the picture. Mine does not have that, however, I do have a USB and a RS232 on the rear. The CD is kind of useless as CD/DVD drives are a thing of the past. I worked in IT most of my life and I don't even won one anymore. There is no download for any software to be found.

As far a your Celeron NUC is concerned, if you have a DN2820FY series NUC, it will support WIN & through 10 up to 64bit. If you have a CD drive give it a whirl. Let me know how it goes.
Yes, commonly called a P/S 2 connector, you can still buy adapters to use a USB keyboard. I still haven't found the NUC, but since it is a Retail copy I will get another and move the license. I use USB thumb drives to load 10, I do have external blu-ray drives but use them to rip movies for my Plex server.

I bought this to do capacity test on my off grid battery systems. The testing was for the Valence U27-12XP Lithium Ion Battery's. I have 20 of them and want to group them according to their capacity. These have a 12v 138Ah rating. I set the test at 20 Amps .2C load. I found that at rest the voltage on the ET5410 was off 1.25V less than my meter at the ET5410's lugs. Under the 20 Amp load it was .5 Volt off. I test to 10 Volt shutoff but it actually is 10.5 when it shuts off giving an inaccurate reading. You can't change the load while testing and if you stop the test in mid stream it zeros out when you start again. I messaged the seller "Using 12 gauge leads 12" long I get a .5 volt drop at a 20 amp load testing my 12.8V 136Ah Valence lipo battery. Can I calibrate the voltage?" and I got a "Hi" response? Also Amazon could make it a little easier to message sellers, it was a bit of a search to do that. Anyhow I think this will go back if I can't calibrate it to read correctly. To bad as it seemed like a good machine. I got the same voltage difference when using a Hall effect tester so my meter is correct.

Attachments

• 20210902_064054.jpg
    20210902_064054.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 13
I bought this to do capacity test on my off grid battery systems. The testing was for the Valence U27-12XP Lithium Ion Battery's. I have 20 of them and want to group them according to their capacity. These have a 12v 138Ah rating. I set the test at 20 Amps .2C load. I found that at rest the voltage on the ET5410 was off 1.25V less than my meter at the ET5410's lugs. Under the 20 Amp load it was .5 Volt off. I test to 10 Volt shutoff but it actually is 10.5 when it shuts off giving an inaccurate reading. You can't change the load while testing and if you stop the test in mid stream it zeros out when you start again. I messaged the seller "Using 12 gauge leads 12" long I get a .5 volt drop at a 20 amp load testing my 12.8V 136Ah Valence lipo battery. Can I calibrate the voltage?" and I got a "Hi" response? Also Amazon could make it a little easier to message sellers, it was a bit of a search to do that. Anyhow I think this will go back if I can't calibrate it to read correctly. To bad as it seemed like a good machine. I got the same voltage difference when using a Hall effect tester so my meter is correct.
If you want 4 wire accuracy, you should look at the Kunkin KP-184 (about the same price). I have one, and it works well. It is just a real pain in the rear to set up due to the display. Any two-wire tester will have the same problem, you get voltage drop across the wire, it is a fact of life. I use 5/16 ring terminals to connect to the tester (unscrew the red outer insulator, put on the ring terminal, then screw the insulator back on). I was using 10 gauge wire but have now gone up to 8 gauge to better handle the 40 amp draw when testing individual cells. Yes, the simplest thing to do is set the cutoff voltage to 2.3v (or for a 12v battery, 9.8v). How much of an offset depends strictly on how good your connections are, and what gauge wire you use (bigger is better in this instance).

Thanks! Yes I extended the range so when I want a cutoff off 10.5v I enter 10v or sometimes 9.8v. It's pretty prevalent when going to 20 amps or more. Wish this would give Watt hour's but that can be calculated.
For straight battery capacity test I saw what Will Prowse uses and it looks great for that purpose. "https://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=cba5".

The East Tester ET5410 is a load tester only. No charging function. I don't know of any load testers that can charge too. If there is, hopefully someone will chime in and help out.

The East Tester ET5410 is a load tester only. No charging function. I don't know of any load testers that can charge too. If there is, hopefully someone will chime in and help out.
I remember seeing some reviews on batteries that included programming a charge-recharge cycle. Not sure what product it may have been.

Do any of these load testers have the ability to charge as well?

If you mean more than just a cell at a time, many load testers and power supplies can be run via PC and software.

If you mean more than just a cell at a time, many load testers and power supplies can be run via PC and software.
Yes, that's probably the one. I didn't realize it was limited to one cell.

Back