diy solar

diy solar

Ebay SolarEdge Optimizers Legit?

lonestarrpm

There are several vendors selling SolarEdge optimizers in the $45 range... Are these legit? Are they the latest model?

SOLAREDGE Solar Power Optimizer MPPT 370W P370-5RM4MRM DC PV Solar Optimizer HYA

US $45.40

Yes, they are- with a catch.

The SolarEdge Power Optimizers are great- I've gotten ~30% power gain from using them. The problem is they need a SolarEdge inverter in order to work by default. You can unlock them, but that requires special hardware.

But I found and purchased the hardware. If you would like, message me and I can get some and "unlock them" for you (and then ship them to you). I've been thinking about opening up a little shop just selling them in an unlocked state....

Yes, they are- with a catch.

The SolarEdge Power Optimizers are great- I've gotten ~30% power gain from using them. The problem is they need a SolarEdge inverter in order to work by default. You can unlock them, but that requires special hardware.

But I found and purchased the hardware. If you would like, message me and I can get some and "unlock them" for you (and then ship them to you). I've been thinking about opening up a little shop just selling them in an unlocked state....
This is interesting....I have never thought about doing this.... Found a Solaredge document which outlines a way to do this without a solaredge inverter? https://gridalternatives.org/sites/default/files/se_power_optimizers_installation_guide.pdf

This is interesting....I have never thought about doing this.... Found a Solaredge document which outlines a way to do this without a solaredge inverter? https://gridalternatives.org/sites/default/files/se_power_optimizers_installation_guide.pdf

Yeah. I got a SolarEdge Key which puts the Solar Optimizer in independent operation mode, which allows you to use it with any inverter. It took quite a bit of digging to find one that was actually on sale and something I could purchase.

I've been meaning to get some more and setup a bench experiment to get some real numbers behind them.

If you want, I can unlock modules for anyone. Just need to send em to me (or I could buy them and then send them to you).

Yeah. I got a SolarEdge Key which puts the Solar Optimizer in independent operation mode, which allows you to use it with any inverter. It took quite a bit of digging to find one that was actually on sale and something I could purchase.

I've been meaning to get some more and setup a bench experiment to get some real numbers behind them.

If you want, I can unlock modules for anyone. Just need to send em to me (or I could buy them and then send them to you).
Cool! I was actually thinking of buying one of those as well. I do wonder how they would handle shutdown etc without the key turning off the SafeDC function? Very interested in having you unlock some for me, but need to find a way to handle rapid shutdown since it will be on my roof. Planning on connecting them to a SMA SB 4k inverter? This looks like a Europe only feature for some reason?

They are not the latest model to answer your second question.
Correct? In looking at this is only Europe and seems to have only been allowed with the IOP P401Ii optimizers? I would be curious if this would functionally work on some of the older Opto's coming off market with all the upgrades happening.

Cool! I was actually thinking of buying one of those as well. I do wonder how they would handle shutdown etc without the key turning off the SafeDC function? Very interested in having you unlock some for me, but need to find a way to handle rapid shutdown since it will be on my roof. Planning on connecting them to a SMA SB 4k inverter? This looks like a Europe only feature for some reason?

From my understanding, they try to cordinate with each other to match voltage. So, if you stick a volt meter in one you'd see ~40v.

SafeDC has to be turned off. SafeDC or IndOp. I don't know of a way to use the Rapid Shutdown feature in IndOP (Independent Operation) mode. So you lose the SafeDC functionality, but you still have the optimization part.

Correct? In looking at this is only Europe and seems to have only been allowed with the IOP P401Ii optimizers? I would be curious if this would functionally work on some of the older Opto's coming off market with all the upgrades happening.

Power optimizers with P/N starting with "OPI", “OPJ” or “PxxxI” have the IndOP™ feature
From https://gridalternatives.org/sites/default/files/se_power_optimizers_installation_guide.pdf

As long as the datasheet of the module contains the keyword IndOp it should be usable. I use P320-5NC4ARS & P600-2NA4ARL modules

I am wondering the unlocked optimizers using on third party investors need to be installed on all panels or can I just put on those shaded? please advise. I can find some on Chinese website that can be unlocked and set to a specific voltage by seller as u wish.

Attachments

• 截圖 2022-08-30 下午10.55.46.png
    截圖 2022-08-30 下午10.55.46.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I think they are designed to be connected in series with on another. You can connect as many panels you want to an optimizer, but but I don't think you should mix optimizers and panels directly.

Not sure. Not much info out there and I've not setup my bench yet to test

I am interested in sending modules to you

I think they are designed to be connected in series with on another. You can connect as many panels you want to an optimizer, but but I don't think you should mix optimizers and panels directly.

Not sure. Not much info out there and I've not setup my bench yet to test
Are you setting up the optimizers? If so how much

Back