diy solar

diy solar

Ebike battery

emeraldcoastcamper

Greetings.

I bought a 48 V Panasonic battery from Battery Hookup thinking to carry it as a backup for my Lectric Ebike which also has a 48 V battery. The Panasonic is well built and all I need to do is add a 13S BMS which Battery Hookup provided instructions for.

So my quandry is this...Can I add a 5.5mm bullet connector to the Panasonic battery and just plug into the charging port or must I hard wire into the ebike controller. Will the Panasonic push current into the ebike battery as the bike battery drains? Do I need to add a blocking diode to prevent the ebike battery from discharging into the Panasonic?

I have performed the charge while running test and the bike does run with the charger plugged it.

I did consider dismantling the Panasonic to build a 3 or 4S pack to power an inverter into which I could plug the ebike charger but the Panasonic battery is so well built I would hate to destroy it.

What is the max draw of the ebike motor? Can the Panasonic battery safely provide that much current? Can the 5.5mm connector safely pass that much current? I would stay away from the inverter route. Too much loss from conversion to and from AC. If it were me, I would add a switch so I could switch between the two batteries. Run the smaller battery on your trip out and you should have enough juice to get back home with the bigger battery. The only down side is having to charge each battery separately. Of course, you would be using two chargers so overall they would charge faster.

What is the max draw of the ebike motor? Can the Panasonic battery safely provide that much current? Can the 5.5mm connector safely pass that much current? I would stay away from the inverter route. Too much loss from conversion to and from AC. If it were me, I would add a switch so I could switch between the two batteries. Run the smaller battery on your trip out and you should have enough juice to get back home with the bigger battery. The only down side is having to charge each battery separately. Of course, you would be using two chargers so overall they would charge faster.
Thanks. All good questions and comments. The switch seems like the best solution. Now to find out where to connect the Aux. battery to the bike. If anyone here has done this please jump in.

If anyone has one of these Panasonics from Battery hookup I will appreciate hearing from you, or from someone who can tell me what is wrong. I cannot get this battery to take a charge. It stands at 46.6 volts before and after charging for two consecutive days. The charger came with my ebike and is a 48 V, 2 Amp charger that tests at 53 volts output when plugged in. The green full charge light comes on as soon as I connect it to the Panasonic battery. If I connect it to the built in ebike battery the charge status light will be Red until it is fully charged. The BMS is a Daly 13S 20Amp Common port.

I really want to get this to a full charge prior to connecting it to my ebike battery.

Attachments

• 9863CD55-93F2-480A-AA34-615D83D16259.jpeg
    9863CD55-93F2-480A-AA34-615D83D16259.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 11
If anyone has one of these Panasonics from Battery hookup I will appreciate hearing from you, or from someone who can tell me what is wrong. I cannot get this battery to take a charge. It stands at 46.6 volts before and after charging for two consecutive days. The charger came with my ebike and is a 48 V, 2 Amp charger that tests at 53 volts output when plugged in. The green full charge light comes on as soon as I connect it to the Panasonic battery. If I connect it to the built in ebike battery the charge status light will be Red until it is fully charged. The BMS is a Daly 13S 20Amp Common port.

I really want to get this to a full charge prior to connecting it to my ebike battery.
There are a couple videos on waking up the bms in ebike batteries on youtube. Try that first. 6ah is not very much for an ebike though.

The 5521 bullet connectors I usually see show that they will handle 5 amps max. Make sure the connector used will handle the amps that will be drawn.

Back