diy solar

diy solar

Ebike

symystic

New to board and was wondering if there was any intrest in building ebike conversions? I will be moving to lithium battries soon, when my current gel battries reach end of life. Inthe meantime i am looking at building an ebike. The recommendations here are spot on tnd thought reviews of the gear and battries might be helpful to lots of people. Will has provide the best unbiased honest reviews I have found. Any chance he might start covering ebikes? Thanks

New to board and was wondering if there was any intrest in building ebike conversions? I will be moving to lithium battries soon, when my current gel battries reach end of life. Inthe meantime i am looking at building an ebike. The recommendations here are spot on tnd thought reviews of the gear and battries might be helpful to lots of people. Will has provide the best unbiased honest reviews I have found. Any chance he might start covering ebikes? Thanks
I tinker with them, and have several kits in my house. So far I haven’t been successful getting one operating…

I’d like to complete one.

What do you want to know about ebikes? My wife and I each have one. I do have a 16S LFP 48V nominal battery (was already built) here I intend to install on it. The original battery was 13S LION. This should hot rod it a little. The controller should handle 60V, the amperage however is limited on the controller to about 20 amps.

I was intending to build an ebike using my mountain bike using a Bafang mid drive. In the end, I decided to move to a fat tire ebike due to terrain and roads it would be used on. Sand and gravel are much easier on a fat tire.

The first ebike was purchased from my 78 year old uncle who bought it for riding to his deer stand. Did not make sense to me. It was a fat tire, step through Addmotor. He actually had purchased it from a couple that had purchased a pair of them, the wife had driven this one a few hundred miles and didn't like it, so they sold it at a big loss. So the deal for us was pretty good, it was less than my uncle paid. I liked the make of the bike after riding it, I bought the same manufacturer but a different model.

Go to Youtube and look up Bolton Ebikes. He has some great videos out there. If you really want to build a bike, then go look up Bafang Mid Drive, that would get you a good start.

I just finished a conversion. As followers of this forum will not be shocked to hear, I built my own 4P10S 36V battery out of 18650 cells.

This is the conversion kit I bought. It was really straight forward. It took me about 3 hours to do mine, then once I was all learned up, 2 hours to convert my wife's bike.

I tinker with them, and have several kits in my house. So far I haven’t been successful getting one operating…

I’d like to complete one.
Did you get one on the air yet?

If I'm not too late with this response, build the ebike! You won't regret it. I've converted 3 bikes to electric 1 mtn. and 2 fat tire. Plus I've built 9 battery packs (13S, 48v, 2 are 13S 16P 47 amp hour triangles 40+ miles per charge), and the battery packs serve double duty, also being used in my DIY solar generator, (learning steps along the way to off grid solar). The mtn. bike will stay at home, and the 2 fat tire bikes will have a permanent home up at my cabin for trail riding in the Northwoods. Trail riding in silence is awesome! Just watch out for critters. Good luck with your build.

Here's my e-mtb conversion. It was originally 29inch but I changed to 27.5+ tires are 2.8, this gives a really nice middle ground between standard mtb, and fat tires.

20220529_113248.jpg

E-trike project I built two of them 3 years ago.
I engineered them with a focus on portability, performance, and stealth.
My builds do not look like they are even e-powered.
Donor-trike: Used $500 TerraTrike Tour. Chromoly Frame.
I went with a geared hub BMS Q128C 36V 500w motor. I overvolt it to 44v (850W max).
With one 44V 12S 8AH pack. I get 26MPH max. 25 mile range @15MPH.
My wife's build uses 18650 round-cells. 36v 15AH.
49lbs fully loaded (1 pack)....yes, only 49lb!
Both trikes fit in back of mid-size pickup (Chevy Colorado long-bed).
I can load them in myself.....they fit side-by-side...just lift up and roll into truck...one faces forward, the other faces backward.
We take them on our RV trips (we pull an R-Pod 190).
Other mods: :Larger 180mm rotors, thumb shifter for rear (there is no front shifter).
I swapped out the heavy 3X front chainrings/crank for a 1X SRAM setup.

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Woods E-dirtbike. project....my favorite build.
Here is a build description and scope: http://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1...
*) I am retired and sold my dirtbikes years ago. I needed something lighter (65lbs vs 300lb enduro) with dialed-back performance.
*) Engineered as off-road Florida state/national park riding on forest roads, jeep and ATV trails.
*) Primary challenge for a Florida woods-bike is low weight while being sure-footed in loose sand.
*) Must be street legal. 2KW power dials back to 750W to bring into compliance if called out.
*) 4" Fat tire platform allows bike to "float" (Regular mountain bikes sink or dig-in) through sand trails & fire roads.
Video:

Last edited:
Back