diy solar

diy solar

Eco Flow -> Isolation Transformer -> Tesla?

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Wizard
@Will just did a youtube on burning up the AC Charger on one of the Eco Flows and it's likely because he did the 'floating ground' to get Tesla Charging to work.

I understand the neutral/ground bonding at a home's main panel but not at subpanels - have wired things to respect this at my own home.

I get from the video that the AC Charger neutral-ground-bond -> Eco Internal Charger/Inverter -> Tesla is not carried thru the Charger/Inverter and is why it's not available to make the Tesla plug/charger work. And I get that doing a floating ground could damage the Eco Flow's Charger/Inverter electronics.

So... I'm wondering would it be possible to use an isolation transformer ( https://www.grainger.com/category/e...-supplies/transformers/isolation-transformers ) between the Eco 240v output and the Tesla Plug and do that floating ground/netural on the Tesla side? This would isolate the Eco Flow from damage? Would this be safe? Just curious....

So... I'm wondering would it be possible to use an isolation transformer between the Eco 240v output and the Tesla Plug and do that floating ground/netural on the Tesla side? This would isolate the Eco Flow from damage? Would this be safe? Just curious....
I don't understand the value of charging a Tesla from another battery? How much capacity are we talking about?

I don't understand the value of charging a Tesla from another battery? How much capacity are we talking about?
As emergency backup / as in this earlier youtube

At 1:14 you see this pic - 32a @ 220v going into the tesla!! The Eco Flows have enough capacity to do significant emergency charging.
1644787541283.png

To me - this is really cool!

If you use an isolation transformer, you are creating a separately derived system. And, the newly created neutral needs to be bonded to the rest of the grounding system.

So... I'm wondering would it be possible to use an isolation transformer ( https://www.grainger.com/category/e...-supplies/transformers/isolation-transformers ) between the Eco 240v output and the Tesla Plug and do that floating ground/netural on the Tesla side? This would isolate the Eco Flow from damage? Would this be safe? Just curious....
Well I think you could but would then have to establish a properly grounded neutral on the output of the $2000 isolation transformer or still show a fault on your tesla charger. Would it be worth it? https://www.grainger.com/product/SQUARE-D-7-5-kVA-Isolation-Transformer-2CN76

You are correct that it's inefficient, going from DC to AC just to go to DC again.
But, I think it still has its advantages: An easy setup for solar storage and emergency/backup power in case the grid goes down.

Many EV owners only need a daily range of a few miles. So charging up that range daily using solar, or once in a while if the grid goes down, would be beneficial.

So charging up that range daily using solar, or once in a while if the grid goes down, would be beneficial.
I don't know enough about the Eco Flow to know if it can use the solar. Actually I need to test my Skybox when the grid is down to see if I can charge from it. Getting a few kWhs would be enough to get me to one of the nearby Superchargers.

I don't know enough about the Eco Flow to know if it can use the solar. Actually I need to test my Skybox when the grid is down to see if I can charge from it. Getting a few kWhs would be enough to get me to one of the nearby Superchargers.

Assuming the supercharges have power and aren't mobbed.

I see it more of proof of concept living off grid is doable with various “Lego” plug and play components.

At this point it’s just a matter of scale for your uses which will never truly economically replace the grid for many.

Assuming the supercharges have power and aren't mobbed.
Haha. During the last three day outage the gas stations were without power and could not pump gasoline. My local Supercharger must have had a different grid connection because they had power. This was during a Public Safety Power Shutdown. Ironically before the time for the shut down there were lines around the block at the gas stations. I just plugged in at home and started the shut down with a full pack.

Yeah around here “public safety outages” are caused by trees falling and aren’t intentional vs preventing fires.

Either way the utility prob doesn’t want to lose the revenue of dropping a supercharger site. That and those supercharger sites need quite the juice 1-2MW worth of transformation, they are located at secure well maintained sites.

Last edited:
Back