diy solar

diy solar

Eco-worthy 750Wh LiFePo4 "Power Can" - AC socket grounding question

tomaszd

Hi, yes I have looked through the beginner documentation about grounding, but I am a beginner and things are not clear to me.

I have bought a "solar power station" - an Eco-worthy 750Wh LiFePo4 "Power Can". It is an extremely cheap orange metal box with a 12V 60Ah LiFePo4 battery pack with a BMS and most importantly to my question - a 500W 220V AC inverter. I have opened the device up to see that not only is it cheaply made, but also the grounding lug on the AC socket (which I will be replacing with a Schuko socket which makes more sense for my neck of the woods) is not connected to anything.

I really do not wish to die yet, so I was wondering: if I want to power 220V AC devices with a three pin plug do I perhaps need to do something in order to have proper ground and not get killed in case of potential issues? I will be using this device only at home for emergencies (fridge). The forum documentation suggests bonding the neutral to ground, but then maybe not, maybe bonding the ground lug to my house ground...? Also, to maybe complicate things further, I can charge this device using the provided AC charger and power AC devices at the same time - does this scenario change anything with regards to grounding? I do not see how it could given the fact only the charger is grounded, it provides DC +/- cables to the power station only. But I would like to be sure before I accidentally electrocute myself.

Last edited:
Hmmm....Do Not Connect the Neutral to the Ground.....

That being said and not seeing the inside I would guess you could ground the case to the ground....But then with you saying it is cheaply made and likely could short out inside and then the short would be connected to ground and could cause high current and fire inside....

IMHO it might be best to leave it the way it is....but still would like to hear other ideas...

Back