diy solar

diy solar

ECOFLOW 160W Portable Solar Panel for EFDELTA/RIVER series

GerryF

I just bought an EcoFlow River Max and was wondering, if I later buy the ECOFLOW 160W Portable Solar Panel to use with this unit, can I also use the same panels to charge a battery? I would just need a controller. I haven't been able to find a suitable solar charge controller compatible with these solar panels.

I'm not doing anything too special, just want to charge the coach battery (it's just a plain 12V group 31? lead acid battery at the moment) using the same panels.

At the moment we aren't planning to boondock a lot and our RV doesn't have room for two batteries and I don't want to mount anything on the roof.

I am looking for portable solar panels.

So that's my question - can anyone recommend a compatible solar charge controller that can be used with the EcoFlow 160W Portable Solar Panels?

Thanks!

I haven't been able to find a suitable solar charge controller compatible with these solar panels.
It should be super easy to find an SCC to work with those panels.
Can you post the panels specs? (Voc and Isc)
Do you have a budget or quality level in mind?
Any considerations for future use of the SCC (upgrade or use on other/bigger projects for many years to come)?

I just bought an EcoFlow River Max and was wondering, if I later buy the ECOFLOW 160W Portable Solar Panel to use with this unit, can I also use the same panels to charge a battery? I would just need a controller. I haven't been able to find a suitable solar charge controller compatible with these solar panels.

I'm not doing anything too special, just want to charge the coach battery (it's just a plain 12V group 31? lead acid battery at the moment) using the same panels.

At the moment we aren't planning to boondock a lot and our RV doesn't have room for two batteries and I don't want to mount anything on the roof.

I am looking for portable solar panels.

So that's my question - can anyone recommend a compatible solar charge controller that can be used with the EcoFlow 160W Portable Solar Panels?

Thanks!
Rated Power
160W(±5W)

Connector Type
MC4

Open Circuit Voltage
21.4V (Vmp 18.2V)

Short Circuit Current
9.6A (Imp 8.8A)

Cell Type
Monocrystalline Silicon

Here is the Cadillac solution that meets your specifications.

If you provide your zip/city, someone can probably point you to better and cheaper panels in your area. Most folks pay around $.50/watt for panels.

I'm in Ontario, Canada K0K 2G0

I'm just starting out on a portable type system with a somewhat limited budget.

This SCC looks fine and is something that would continue to work later if I do other things.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Those are priced nicely, but I'm using this is in an RV with little free storage, thus my interest in the foldable panels that can do double duty; charging the EcoFlow and the House battery (with the addition of a SCC).

Here is a cheap and cheerful SCC. I have a few of these that I use to charge utility batteries. They do a fine job. Not sure I would trust them running 24/7 in an RV but certainly useful (and dirt cheap). A good spare when you upgrade.

I just discovered the eco-worthy 120w foldable solar panel system. It was $110 off on amazon.ca today and I couldn't resist so I have ordered it.
This kit comes with a controller and cables and can do double duty as I want - charge the ecoflow solar generator or our RV batteries with the included controller and cables.
Here's hoping it all works! I won't actually get to test it out much until next spring but I'm happy to have all the moving parts which were all bought on sale prices.

I have a Echo Flow Delta with 160w solar panel and a GoPower Plus generator with a thunderbolt 9w solar panel, but want to buy after market extension cables 20 foot or longer for them. Please help me I'm totally a newby.

but want to buy after market extension cables 20 foot or longer for them. Please help me I'm totally a newby.
Can you post a pic of the connectors. With that cables are easy to order on Amazon and elsewhere.

(Continuing in old-ish thread because her(?) SCC matches the thread title)

I just discovered the eco-worthy 120w foldable solar panel system. It was $110 off on amazon.ca today and I couldn't resist so I have ordered it.
This kit comes with a controller and cables and can do double duty as I want - charge the ecoflow solar generator or our RV batteries with the included controller and cables.
Here's hoping it all works! I won't actually get to test it out much until next spring but I'm happy to have all the moving parts which were all bought on sale prices.

A quick follow-up. To connect the eco-worthy panels to the EcoFlow, I found a patch cord online (from alliexpress) that had the bullet connector to XT60 for under $10. When the adapter came, I still ended up using another adapter that came with the solar panels, but low and behold I can go from the panels directly to the EcoFlow now without have to cut wires or modify anything.

I tested on Sunday on the back deck. Sun was out but definitely not full strength. I was getting about 50 watts charge out of the 120W eco-worthy foldable solar panels. As most have discovered, it's rare to get 100+ watts out of those solar panels. However they were priced right and if I can get 50-80 watts that is OK for my occasional use.

^^They are good ones. (y)
I dropped a couple of those in my cart. I'm going to have to figure out PV hookups - my folders are series-wired and feed a second mppt SCC in the RV. I think I'll need to convert them to straight MC4 connectors so I can parallel or series them, depending on what they need to charge. The mc4 to xt60 is a keeper.

I got a kick out of one the YT reviewers - he kept saying the XT60 connector on the EcoFlow was 'proprietary', non-standard. LOL
They'll let anyone post anything on YT. ?

^^They are good ones. (y)
I dropped a couple of those in my cart. I'm going to have to figure out PV hookups - my folders are series-wired and feed a second mppt SCC in the RV. I think I'll need to convert them to straight MC4 connectors so I can parallel or series them, depending on what they need to charge. The mc4 to xt60 is a keeper.

I got a kick out of one the YT reviewers - he kept saying the XT60 connector on the EcoFlow was 'proprietary', non-standard. LOL
They'll let anyone post anything on YT. ?
I realize this is an old thread, i came across it searching & thought I share a bit of info. True, the connector is not proprietary, it's an XT60i. I recently purchased a Delta Mini too, and so far like it but the EcoFlow app is remedial IMO. I guess for most folks it is enough, but I'd like to see more data like solar/car charging volts & current, etc.. But I digress from what i wanted to reply about, LOL.

My Mini came with XT60i connectors , not XT60. The XT60i connector has a 3rd pin on the side. I'm still researching info on this, which is very limited, but have deduced that EcoFlow is using it to differentiate between solar input (300w 11-75 vdc 10a max) from cigarette plug input (car 12-24 vdc 8a default, configurable to 4 , 6, or 8 amps via the App). The solar cable has -12 vdc connected to the side pin. The car adapter has +12 vdc connected to the side pin.

I've looked at the accessories that EcoFlow sells on their official website and they are XT60, NOT XT60i. What the heck? So I emailed tech support asking if that is a website error or do they not sell XT60i replacements? Here's they reply I received:
"Thank you for contacting Ecoflow Customer Support.
Regarding your question, I regret to inform you that our photos are correct, but we also do not sell the accessory cables with XT60i. Sorry for the inconvenience. However, if you are interested in buying a car charging cable with XT60i, then I can check whether I can make a special arrangement to sell you one car charging cable at the same price as listed on our website with a Paypal link. Please let me know your thoughts."

I'm now confused as to why my purchase came with the XT60i, but in essence they don't have replacements for sale. This is going to require more testing on my part. I may try using a Victron 100/20 MPPT with different output voltages , or purchase a adjustable power supply and wired to both an XT60 and XT60i. ?

My Mini came with XT60i connectors , not XT60. The XT60i connector has a 3rd pin on the side. I'm still researching info on this, which is very limited, but have deduced that EcoFlow is using it to differentiate between solar input (300w 11-75 vdc 10a max) from cigarette plug input (car 12-24 vdc 8a default, configurable to 4 , 6, or 8 amps via the App). The solar cable has -12 vdc connected to the side pin. The car adapter has +12 vdc connected to the side pin.
Hello
You are correct on your deductions. I have a similar discovery on my Delta Pro with a bigger potential difference - 8a vs 15a.
I'm now confused as to why my purchase came with the XT60i, but in essence they don't have replacements for sale. This is going to require more testing on my part. I may try using a Victron 100/20 MPPT with different output voltages , or purchase a adjustable power supply and wired to both an XT60 and XT60i. ?
I noticed the same thing as well, though I didn't write customer support. I have gone so far as to order some XT60I connectors though they will take quite a while to arrive. As I noticed when charging my Delta Pro at 12v 15a through a long cable, the only cable portion that was getting slightly warm was the Ecoflow factory MC4 cable.

What did you discover in your testing?

Back