diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow delta 1800

Peter02

Van set up with 3 100 watt panels voltage 21.6 , 6.3 amps. Per panel ,ecoflow delta 1800 generator 10-65 VDC , 10 amp max., series or parallel connect,
wires from generator and panels are 14 gauge , do I run 14, 12, 10, gauge wire from panels to generator, 30 feet,
should I also run that cable with MC4 to. XT60 connector directly to generator and skip the 11 foot 14 gauge pig tail that came with the generator, shouldn’t all wires be the same gauge???
peter02

It's an Ecoflow Delta 1800, right? The generator part threw me off - it's not a gas-fired generator, it's a 'solar generator', right?
I was curious because I think they're great so I bought a Delta Mini. It's fantastic.

So your panels are 30' one way to your delta unit? I got the pigtail too - I use it with a 25' 10g hookup wire to my 160W solar panels - works fine, they peak out around 150w charging on the delta unit.

The 3 - 100W panels in series may well over-volt your charging parameters for the mppt controller in your delta unit. So you'll connect them parallel, or get a fourth one and connect them 2s 2P. IIRC the '10A' max is based on the ~52V of the delta batteries, so it's best to use watts, and I'm pretty sure your delta can accept 400W, right?

I would use 10awg wire, either PV cable if it's exposed, or simple pvc insulated hookup wire as I did, and plug into your supplied pigtail.
You could also easily just make up a PV connect wire to a xt60 connector as well. You'll get a little voltage drop with your low voltage, but do-able. And why I would consider setting up a way to combine panels for more voltage - less drop over your cabling.

I also use my portable panels to plug into an SAE port in the side of the RV that connects to an mppt solar controller for the house batteries. So I got a SAE adapter that connects my solar extension cable to the Delta solar charging harness. All good.

Oh, and if your have smaller wires they become a bottleneck for your current flow, but not a deal breaker if they're short. They'll carry the current, but the higher it goes the more they'll create resistance and voltage drop. The ecoflow cables and connectors are pretty darn good IMO.

Thanks for the quick response DR.
yes it’s a solar generator, so keep the supplied pig tail and I’ll shorten my run and use 10 gauge pv wire and connect the panels in parallel useing Mc4 connectors.
this stuff is all new to me so I really appreciate the information .
should I run a fuse in the 10 awg cable and if so how big?
thanks peter02

I think three or more in parallel requires a fuse on each panel, for a short would send all three currents to one panel.
Fuse size should show on the the panel spec sticker, or use 125% of Isc - short circuit current. If they're 6.3A Isc then 10A fuses would be appropriate. I would use one of those 3-way combiner thingies - image below.

You can get inline fuse holders that are MC4 connectors.

Maybe we can get a PV tech here to confirm.

1647640690530.jpeg

And a fused MC4:

images

Last edited:
Here's the NEC coding explanation on PV fusing from the forum resources here:

Also, check your charging specs - the Delta manual says solar charging up to 400W, 65V max. I would get a fourth panel and wire them 2s2P, no fuses, the full 400w of charging capability. Delta has a built in mppt charge controller.
It's an Ecoflow Delta 1800, right? The generator part threw me off - it's not a gas-fired generator, it's a 'solar generator', right?
I was curious because I think they're great so I bought a Delta Mini. It's fantastic.

So your panels are 30' one way to your delta unit? I got the pigtail too - I use it with a 25' 10g hookup wire to my 160W solar panels - works fine, they peak out around 150w charging on the delta unit.

The 3 - 100W panels in series may well over-volt your charging parameters for the mppt controller in your delta unit. So you'll connect them parallel, or get a fourth one and connect them 2s 2P. IIRC the '10A' max is based on the ~52V of the delta batteries, so it's best to use watts, and I'm pretty sure your delta can accept 400W, right?

I would use 10awg wire, either PV cable if it's exposed, or simple pvc insulated hookup wire as I did, and plug into your supplied pigtail.
You could also easily just make up a PV connect wire to a xt60 connector as well. You'll get a little voltage drop with your low voltage, but do-able. And why I would consider setting up a way to combine panels for more voltage - less drop over your cabling.

I also use my portable panels to plug into an SAE port in the side of the RV that connects to an mppt solar controller for the house batteries. So I got a SAE adapter that connects my solar extension cable to the Delta solar charging harness. All good.

Oh, and if your have smaller wires they become a bottleneck for your current flow, but not a deal breaker if they're short. They'll carry the current, but the higher it goes the more they'll create resistance and voltage drop. The ecoflow cables and connectors are pretty darn good IMO.
Just checking my own math..so if the panels above are connected 2 Series, 2 Parallel (I assume thats what 2S, 2P means?) then he would have approx 42V at 12amps coming from those panels? Wouldnt that be over the 10amp max of the Delta theoretically? Or do I have my math wrong?

You might be a little over-paneled, but the charge controller will only pull what it can. IIRC, those packs are like 52V, so PV amps may not be the best indicator.
The main thing is that you don't over-volt a charge controller - that can fry them. 42V is well within the input max. If the controller is rated for 400W you should have no problem connecting 4-100W solar panels. It's rare they'll put out full wattage anyway - they are tested in perfect conditions at 68 or 70 degrees for their specs.

I have a pair of 80W with 25' 10awg leads, pointed directly at the sun I've seen 154W on the Delta Mini. They're in series so they tend to run about 39V input, rated for about 5A each. The solar controller does a good job converting input energy for charging.

Back