diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Delta, Bluetti, Jackery? Help me out.

Azer

I want to pickup a battery solar station for my home to use strictly for power outage scenarios.

And I can’t make a decision...

Jackery 1000, Bluetti AC200 (months from now), Ecoflow Delta 1300, Bluetti 1000 etc. I am looking at this range of items priced between 1000-1500 USD give or take.

I’m going nuts trying to make the best decision. The cost is all pretty close so I just want something reliable so I can boil water or power a small fridge if I lose power for 24 hours. I was thinking an EcoFlow delta but they reliability factors scare me. The ac200 sounds great but I can’t order one. I like the simplicity of a Jackery 1000 but wills review basically said for the money EcoFlow was better.

just please tell me what to do. I do not want to build a system. I want something I can put in the basement and dust off when I need it in an emergency. What is the smart move here? Thanks.

These units really don't have that much capacity. A 10 cu-ft fridge will use about 1kWh/day. You really need to look at exactly what you want to run and for how long each day.

These units really don't have that much capacity. A 10 cu-ft fridge will use about 1kWh/day. You really need to look at exactly what you want to run and for how long each day.

thanks for the advice. I’m very new to all this so I’m sort of starting from ground one. I have a gas generator but I guess ti be blunt I’m not exactly sure yet what I’d need to run. I guess I’d haveto evaluate that Further.

the only thing I was really thinking about was a small space Heater. My whole heating system is dependent on electric. It goes, the heat goes.

But yes, I don’t think I have really assessed my needs enough

Electric heat is horrifically costly. A small 500W heater would run for 2-3 hours before the battery is depleted.

If you need emergency heat, get a $120-150 kerosene heater:

The last thing you want is to think you have the next emergency planned for...and then find out you've biffed it and spent a lot of $ on something that doesn't work for you.

Electric heat is horrifically costly. A small 500W heater would run for 2-3 hours before the battery is depleted.

If you need emergency heat, get a $120-150 kerosene heater:

The last thing you want is to think you have the next emergency planned for...and then find out you've biffed it and spent a lot of $ on something that doesn't work for you.

thanks. I didn’t realize These things were safe to use indoors. No fumes or co2?

CO2 is fine. CO is the bitch. It's VERY clean burning. I wouldn't want to use it in a sealed underground storm shelter without an air flush once a day, and I personally have MULTIPLE CO detectors any time I use fire for heat. They're down to about $15-20 each. We have 3 in each RV.

CO2 is fine. CO is the bitch. It's VERY clean burning. I wouldn't want to use it in a sealed underground storm shelter without an air flush once a day, and I personally have MULTIPLE CO detectors any time I use fire for heat. They're down to about $15-20 each. We have 3 in each RV.

thanks. I guess the heating aspect aside, which machine is the best overall bang for your buck as far as being an indoor power option I realize they all have different pros and cons so I guess I’m more interested as something that can fill the niche between a gas generator I have and a tiny jackery 200w power station.

What do you define as "bang for your buck"? They have different features and some are better than others for different things.

If all I care about is getting the most backup energy available, then simply take the cost and divide by the kWh capacity of the battery. The smallest number wins. The second consideration might be the solar capacity, i.e., how much solar charging can it accommodate? The more it can accept, the more you can use during the day and the better charging you get.

What do you define as "bang for your buck"? They have different features and some are better than others for different things.

If all I care about is getting the most backup energy available, then simply take the cost and divide by the kWh capacity of the battery. The smallest number wins. The second consideration might be the solar capacity, i.e., how much solar charging can it accommodate? The more it can accept, the more you can use during the day and the better charging you get.

These are good questions. I guess how I would define bang for my buck would be when looking at all of these machines, which offers the most usage flexibility in consideration of the costs compared to the other units.

The main usage I keep coming back to are generally ones that would get me through a small amount of time without power - family type tasks such as using a low watt kettle to heat up water for soup, charge an iPad or laptop off if it’s dead, Smaller things like that in general. Not things like running heat guns or power tools. I may pick up one of the lower watt travel refrigerators I just read about in Hobotech To have as a backup in case we lose power again. I know this is sort of all over the place, but those are the sorts of things I am thinking about. I might use it here and there otherwise but it’s not something I’d be using daily as a true power source.

this is all stemming from a recent power outage we had. Power was back within 4 hours, but when it happened I realized I couldn’t do some of the above things. It was pouring rain and I could not use a gas generator as a result or inside anyway, which is what got me on this journey.

These are good questions. I guess how I would define bang for my buck would be when looking at all of these machines, which offers the most usage flexibility in consideration of the costs compared to the other units.

The main usage I keep coming back to are generally ones that would get me through a small amount of time without power - family type tasks such as using a low watt kettle to heat up water for soup, charge an iPad or laptop off if it’s dead, Smaller things like that in general. Not things like running heat guns or power tools. I may pick up one of the lower watt travel refrigerators I just read about in Hobotech To have as a backup in case we lose power again. I know this is sort of all over the place, but those are the sorts of things I am thinking about. I might use it here and there otherwise but it’s not something I’d be using daily as a true power source.

this is all stemming from a recent power outage we had. Power was back within 4 hours, but when it happened I realized I couldn’t do some of the above things. It was pouring rain and I could not use a gas generator as a result or inside anyway, which is what got me on this journey.
From what you've described of your use case, I suggest looking at the Bluetti EB240. It's got 2400Wh of stored energy (700 more than AC200, 1400 more than the Jackery 1000, and 1100 more than EcoFlow Delta) and a 1000W inverter which should run your fridge.

An EB240 should get you through a 24 hour outage unless your fridge is an old power hungry hog. Buy a kill a watt style meter and measure your fridge's actual power consumption for a few days and you'll know exactly how long you can run it with one of these units. You may not need to get a travel fridge.

Get a little propane camp stove for heating up your soup.

From what you've described of your use case, I suggest looking at the Bluetti EB240. It's got 2400Wh of stored energy (700 more than AC200, 1400 more than the Jackery 1000, and 1100 more than EcoFlow Delta) and a 1000W inverter which should run your fridge.

An EB240 should get you through a 24 hour outage unless your fridge is an old power hungry hog. Buy a kill a watt style meter and measure your fridge's actual power consumption for a few days and you'll know exactly how long you can run it with one of these units. You may not need to get a travel fridge.

Get a little propane camp stove for heating up your soup.

This is very helpful thank you very much. Just one last question. When factoring I’m all the various coupons and discounts (and a gift card) this comes out as about $450 more than the EcoFlow Delta. My last question which is subjective is does that seem like a decent margin for the benefits you outlined above (obviously in your opinion). Thanks again. Also, I like that the Bluetti is using the LG batteries. Just seems like a high quality battery choice

This is very helpful thank you very much. Just one last question. When factoring I’m all the various coupons and discounts (and a gift card) this comes out as about $450 more than the EcoFlow Delta. My last question which is subjective is does that seem like a decent margin for the benefits you outlined above (obviously in your opinion). Thanks again. Also, I like that the Bluetti is using the LG batteries. Just seems like a high quality battery choice
You get 1100Wh more battery capacity for that $450. To me that’s a huge benefit margin given your standby use case. But I’m not in charge of your wallet. :)

You get 1100Wh more battery capacity for that $450. To me that’s a huge benefit margin given your standby use case. But I’m not in charge of your wallet. :)
Thanks again for your insights. Very much appreciated!

Decide what you want to power, and for how long.
As others have said, heating appliances aren't practical. Propane or butane single-burner would be good.
Microwave is possible, since you only use it a couple minutes. But you need about 2000W inverter.
Refrigerator can be done, but not for long without a large battery. However, freezer/refrigerator is good for a day or so on its own ice.
Are you trying to weather a multiple day outage?
If you just want some light and recharging phones, there are many inexpensive options:

That's cheaper and lower capacity than the others you mentioned, but could jumpstart your car. Only 200 Wh

Just a battery and charger would provide 12V for some lights and anything that runs off a car cigarette lighter outlet:

That's 400 Wh, but you could select an arbitrarily large battery, price adjusts in proportion.

You can get something with lithium battery which would last through several thousand power failures (e.g. if PG&E has an outage every night for the next 10 years), but you pay for that upfront. The lead-acid AGM batteries I showed might last for a few hundred power failures, and cost proportionately less.

You can also run things off your car battery, just isn't the right type so not good for many discharge cycles before you kill it. It does come with a built in generator, if you remember to start the car before draining battery too far. You can run a microwave off a suitable inverter connected to the car battery. Then all you need is the inverter and an extension cord, no need to buy a battery planning for this occasional event.

Solar recharging is an additional option.

And I'm not saying Harbor Freight is the best way to go, just showing links to some lower end equipment, inexpensive and maybe local retail outlet.
But if you catch the bug like we have and want something much more capable, we can point you at systems that run anything and cost as many $$ as you want to spend.

All the solar generators are suitable for low voltage 12V system uses like camper vans and off grid sheds.
For *long term* power outages in a residential house you need a gas generator, or a Tesla battery with a lot of solar panels. Maybe both. And a transfer switch. But the Delta has been useful to me for limping along through various scattered outages, and even for 3 days at a time when paired with a portable gas generator.

The Delta's 3 biggest killer features are
1. It recharges in 1.7 hours with AC, or with 400W of solar panels in 4 hours. This is really huge for portable power.
2. With 1600 watts continuous and 3000 peak watts, it will run everything you can in your house, a microwave, a coffee maker, drill, skill saw, even a welder at low power.
3. It has 1250 watt hours of power, which is high capacity for a solar generator.
The Delta's downside is
1. To provide you with such high wattage and not overheat, the AC inverter uses about 30 Watts an hour. A high overhead to run the AC side.
If you only need low watt AC, many users use a small 12v DC to ac inverter. Much more efficient use of power on the 12v DC side.
2. It is a solar generator. And batteries are it's gas tank, and they are far less dense an energy source compared to gas, or to propane. For high energy domestic uses heating and cooking and cooling it will work, but not for very long. None of the Solar Generators will even if they have the watts. .
For weekend camping they're great, run your coffee maker, some lights or electronics, a CPAC, especially with portable solar panels to replenish them some.
For power outages I've been using my Deltas as temporary power for electronics, fridge and my low power led lighting. Gas stove and hot water. But the fridge will only last about 8 hours on one Delta, given my fridge isn't ecofriendly.
But if it looks like a long term outage, I switch to my Champion 200 gas generator, it will run electronics and the fridge anc charge a Delta in 1.7 hours. When fully charged I use them overnight so every one can sleep.
I have still to hook up some solar panels I picked up as salvage.

But the Deltas are best use I think - Running power tools far from the grid. Weekend camping trips. A Camper van solar power system, 12V lights, 12V fridge, usb etc.. Silently powering a PA and lights on a stage in the middle of nowhere. Stuff like that.

-

Last edited:
The Delta's 3 biggest killer features are
2. With 1600 watts continuous and 3000 peak watts, it will run everything you can in your house, a microwave, a coffee maker, drill, skill saw, even a welder at low power.
3. It has 1250 watt hours of power, which is high capacity for a solar generator.

But the fridge will only last about 8 hours on one Delta, given my fridge isn't ecofriendly.

This one? Seems to match the specs.

Good that it can run motors and the like.

A newer full-size fridge according to consumer labels specs consumes about 1500 Wh/day, but my old one is more like yours.
Sounds like with 400W panels it should run a newer fridge during the day and recharge battery, so it runs through the night as well.
That would meet the needs of a lot of people looking for a bit of backup.
With a timer to shut off fridge for the night, this unit would power other things at night and still cool fridge during the day. But the fridge would use most of the PV.

400W (STC) of PV panels will produce about 350W (PTC) under actual conditions. With 5.5 hours effective sun in my area, 1900 Wh to battery. If 90% efficient inverter, 1700 Wh AC available, just a bit over refrigerator consumption.

I don't see complete specs, but it says 400W solar input. One can use 600W of PV panels for 400W peak by orienting panels in a couple different directions - more hours of power production, lower peak. Or, can use 400W of panels and move them during the day, but that's too much work. Depending on voltage specs, a pair of my 327W panels oriented at 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM sun, 90 degrees apart, would peak at 400W but give 50% more Wh/day than a fixed 400W panel.
This should allow 2600 Wh/day of AC, enough for a newer refrigerator and some other loads.

The picture on their website of someone camping and using PV panels doesn't show 400W of panels. It has as few small flexible panels. 400W would be at least 5' x 4.5' = 22 ft^2 of high efficiency panels

Yes the Delta 1300. The Solar input spec limits are 65v at 10 amps, and it has an MPPT controller. .
But it will limit the charging to 400 watts, you could feed it 65V @ 10amps = 650 watts but the controller will limit it.
You can use other panels than EcoFlow's as ell, without voiding the warranty.

Back