diy solar

diy solar

EcoFlow Delta Pro and transfer switch setup

hamm55

Long story short.....
This is the initial phase of my critical circuit emergency power backup. I had trouble getting an electrician to come out for my transfer switch install. They all seem to be to busy and not interested in smaller jobs. Anyway, I have done DIY electrical work for over 30 years so no problem tackling this project. I saved 600.00 USD on the install that an electrician quoted me.

Rather than cutting a large opening in the drywall to run the wires/conduit to the panel (my electrical panel is flush mounted inside drywall) I decided to drill a 1" dia hole below the panel and mount a junction box over it with the wiring/conduit attached to the junction box instead. The cavity below the panel was clear of any wiring which made it an easy choice. The wires then pass through a hole in behind he junction box in through the wall, up to the bottom of the panel knockout hole and to the respective circuit breakers I selected for supplying emergency power from the EF Delta Pro. I am currently only using 4 of the 6 available transfer switch circuits and all are 20a/120v.

Note: This transfer panel does not switch the neutral so you will get a nuisance trip on any c/afci or gfci circuits when you switch over from line to generator mode for the circuit.

I plan on adding the EF Delta Pro expansion batteries and a small roof mounted 1k-1.6k solar array for charging in the future. Still undecided if I really need 240 or not though for emergency purposes.

Parts:
(1) Reliance 306A Pro/Tran2 6-circuit manual transfer switch
(1) 2.5" x 4" junction box
(3) Siemens standard 20a breakers (to replace 3 15a breakers that came with transfer switch
(1) 10ft Parkworld 885446 NEMA TT-30P to L14-30R Adapter Cord
(1) Tp Link/Kasa 2-outlet outdoor smart switch (for controlling ac charge input when battery level reaches set discharge level + 1 percent)

Attachments

• battery_backup_system.jpg
    battery_backup_system.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
@hamm55 Good job! This setup is similar to mine. I also have 900 watts of solar panels connected to the Delta Pro. The transfer switches allow one to control the the circuits and utilize the free solar power on a regular day.

How has this setup worked for you?

@hamm55 Good job! This setup is similar to mine. I also have 900 watts of solar panels connected to the Delta Pro. The transfer switches allow one to control the the circuits and utilize the free solar power on a regular day.

How has this setup worked for you?
Thanks! So far I have only used the DP for emergency backup and testing with the HASS EF integration. Once I get solar installed I will probably use it to power some or all of my critical circuits 24x7. It did not make sense to me to use AC power for charging and using the DP for continuous power even with off-peak hours charging from the grid. I really am impressed with the whole EF ecosystem design,quality,expansion capabilities,etc.

Interesting. There's been quite a bit of back and forth re Bluetti units which apparently MUST have a switched neutral transfer or damage will result. EcoFlow has no such limitation apparently?

perfect setup! well done. I really like Reliance transfer switches. super easy to install; instructions are clear.

Interesting. There's been quite a bit of back and forth re Bluetti units which apparently MUST have a switched neutral transfer or damage will result. EcoFlow has no such limitation apparently?
It's complicated. Problems usually occur when you have more than one neutral bond to ground in a circuit. All solar generators that I am aware of do not bond neutral to ground (e.g. are floating neutral) and this is ok for backup use as you do not want to create a second neutral bond to ground in the circuit you are powering. There should be only one location in a circuit where the neutral is bonded to ground and that is in the main electrical panel attached to the meter (first panel after meter). By having the solar generator plugged into an ac circuit outlet and also powering the same circuit (via the solar generator) creates a second neutral to bond situation and can create problems.

I have a smart TP Link/Kasa ac switch (controlled by Home Assistant) that my Ecoflow DP ac cord is connected to and I switch it on to charge and off when fully charged via an automation rule tied to the HASS Ecoflow integration. I dont power any circuits from the Ecoflow DP via the transfer switch while the smart ac switch is on as that would create a second neutral bond to ground. Its a timing approach that I use to supply power from the EcoFlow to my critical circuits tied to the transfer switch while still receiving power from the grid for the other circuits. So it can be done safely if done correctly but this does not make it fully NEC code compliant.

To be fully NEC code compliant though if I am going to use it at the same time with grid power to power my critical circuits 24x7, I should either install a neutral kit to my existing transfer switch along with replacing the breakers with C/AFCI or GFCI breakers OR install a transfer switch that does switch the neutral along with installing C/AFCI or GFCI breakers into it.

See Will's video on how he damaged an Ecoflow Delta Pro while trying to charge his Telsa by using a ground-to-neutral plug.

I strongly encourage you or anyone else to do their own research on the basics (electrical systems ,NEC code, etc.) and not just go by commentary on forums. You really need to understand the basics of what you are working with and especially electrical systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAS
My solution is a Generac 6382 Whole Panel 200A Utility / 30A Generator Manual Transfer Switch. This switch / subpanel was installed in the garage in series with the main service lines next to my existing panel. I hired an electrician to do that. An added bonus is that I can eventually add a breaker and outlet for an electric car charger. The Delta Pro connects to it with a TT-30P to L14-30R adapter and cable, which powers both halves / phases of the panel and allows for selecting breakers for any of the 120 V circuits in the house. As the previous poster said, do your own research and make sure that you know what your're doing.

My solution is a Generac 6382 Whole Panel 200A Utility / 30A Generator Manual Transfer Switch. This switch / subpanel was installed in the garage in series with the main service lines next to my existing panel. I hired an electrician to do that. An added bonus is that I can eventually add a breaker and outlet for an electric car charger. The Delta Pro connects to it with a TT-30P to L14-30R adapter and cable, which powers both halves / phases of the panel and allows for selecting breakers for any of the 120 V circuits in the house. As the previous poster said, do your own research and make sure that you know what your're doing.

Nice!

Nice! Absolutely works!

I went a step further and added and paired an ATS for automatic-transfer when solar (inverter) power is applied with the 10 circuit Pro/Tran MTS. Works like a charm and I use the MTS to control loading by switching individual circuits between Line (permenately on Grid) vs Gen (powered by the ATS).
1662314986893.png
Using Progressive Dynamics 240v@50a ATS

Nice! Absolutely works!

I went a step further and added and paired an ATS for automatic-transfer when solar (inverter) power is applied with the 10 circuit Pro/Tran MTS. Works like a charm and I use the MTS to control loading by switching individual circuits between Line (permenately on Grid) vs Gen (powered by the ATS).
View attachment 110236
Using Progressive Dynamics 240v@50a ATS
Very nice! it looks like you dont have any C/AFCI or GFCI breakers in your main panel that I can see from the picture to deal with? All of mine are C/AFCI breakers (new house). Does the 240v ATS do neutral switching by chance or hots only?

Very nice! it looks like you dont have any C/AFCI or GFCI breakers in your main panel that I can see from the picture to deal with? All of mine are C/AFCI breakers (new house). Does the 240v ATS do neutral switching by chance or hots only?
My home (built 1997 in Southern Oregon) has GFCI circuits but the GFCI is in one of the receptacles along the circuit to be GFCI'ed instead of a breaker at the main panel. Makes if 'fun' to figure out which one needs to be reset when a circuit goes dead but the main panel breaker is ON/OK. :)

Yes, the Progressive Dynamics ATSs have neutral switching - so you have 240/120v. The grounds are all just connected together.

Just thinking out loud... it occurs to me that you're MTS probably has "Line", "Off", and "Generator" toggle switches. This means you could set all your circuits to "Line" (grid) and just leave the EcoFlo plugged into the MTS - it won't pull any load until you flip a circuit to "Generator".

Last edited:
My home (built 1997 in Southern Oregon) has GFCI circuits but the GFCI is in one of the receptacles along the circuit to be GFCI'ed instead of a breaker at the main panel. Makes if 'fun' to figure out which one needs to be reset when a circuit goes dead but the main panel breaker is ON/OK. :)

Yes, the Progressive Dynamics ATSs have neutral switching - so you have 240/120v. The grounds are all just connected together.

Just thinking out loud... it occurs to me that you're MTS probably has "Line", "Off", and "Generator" toggle switches. This means you could set all your circuits to "Line" (grid) and just leave the EcoFlo plugged into the MTS - it won't pull any load until you flip a circuit to "Generator".
Good deal. Yes the Reliance MTS has LINE|GEN toggle switches for each of the 6 circuits. The first two circuits/toggle switches (A B) are linked together to provide for a 240v 30a circuit which I currently dont use.

I could leave the Delta Pro plugged in to the MTS all of the time. I also leave the Delta Pro ac charging cable plugged in to a 120v outlet via a smart wifi ac switch in placed between. The smart switch is controlled programmatically by my Home Assistant server. Really not to much pain to flip a toggle if I need to switch to backup power.

Nice thing is that I can run the circuits connected to the MTS powered by the Delta Pro in parallel with the other circuits running on line power or just use the Delta Pro for emergency backup power only. Nice to have the option. Once I get solar I may run in parallel. Not really saving on power costs charging it on ac power and using it for non emergency power otherwise.

Last edited:
This is the initial phase of my critical circuit emergency power backup. I had trouble getting an electrician to come out for my transfer switch install. They all seem to be to busy and not interested in smaller jobs. Anyway, I have done DIY electrical work for over 30 years so no problem tackling this project. I saved 600.00 USD on the install that an electrician quoted me.

Rather than cutting a large opening in the drywall to run the wires/conduit to the panel (my electrical panel is flush mounted inside drywall) I decided to drill a 1" dia hole below the panel and mount a junction box over it with the wiring/conduit attached to the junction box instead. The cavity below the panel was clear of any wiring which made it an easy choice. The wires then pass through a hole in behind he junction box in through the wall, up to the bottom of the panel knockout hole and to the respective circuit breakers I selected for supplying emergency power from the EF Delta Pro. I am currently only using 4 of the 6 available transfer switch circuits and all are 20a/120v.

Note: This transfer panel does not switch the neutral so you will get a nuisance trip on any c/afci or gfci circuits when you switch over from line to generator mode for the circuit.

I plan on adding the EF Delta Pro expansion batteries and a small roof mounted 1k-1.6k solar array for charging in the future. Still undecided if I really need 240 or not though for emergency purposes.

Parts:
(3) Siemens standard 20a breakers (to replace 3 15a breakers that came with transfer switch
(1) Tp Link/Kasa 2-outlet outdoor smart switch (for controlling ac charge input when battery level reaches set discharge level + 1 percent)

Great system. This is exactly what I want to do. You mention you get a nuisance trip on gfci circuits when you switch over from Line to DP. Once you've switched over, can the GFCI's can be reset without immediately tripping?

Do you have the TP Link/Kasa smart switch programmed to automatically switch based on charge level of the DP or is that a manual switching decision?

Great system. This is exactly what I want to do. You mention you get a nuisance trip on gfci circuits when you switch over from Line to DP. Once you've switched over, can the GFCI's can be reset without immediately tripping?

Do you have the TP Link/Kasa smart switch programmed to automatically switch based on charge level of the DP or is that a manual switching decision?
I leave the GFCI breaker for the connected transfer switch circuits in the main panel OFF while on EF DP power. You DONT want to take the chance and create a parallel neutral-to-ground path by having the breaker in the main panel for the circuit on while the EF DP is supplying power to the same circuit while plugged in to an AC outlet for charging.

Regarding the TP Link/Kasa smart switch integration, I had been using the Ecoflow DP Home Assistant integration to turn the smart switch on when the battery level reached the minimum discharge level setting. As of a few days ago, the Home Assistant integration stopped working due to changes that Ecoflow made to the firmware by closing the port used by the integration. So it's a manual switch for now.

Last edited:
****Clean set up ! I’m using a reliant transfer , 2 Delta Pros ( to double Solar ) and used tier 1 panels I bought at a great price point . I had an electrician put in the transfer … and a weather resistant box as it’s outside next to panel . Wall pass through for my 2 Pros / 1 Battery
I run a delta pro into a manual transfer switch using a wall pass through and the 30 amp RV plug , and in the circuit that has the gfi plugs in bathroom , it tripped overload on delta pro immediately! No issue on other circuits… and those run 75% of my needs ( refrigerators and central heat ) . I have an extra battery , and I just added another Delta pro generator because Costco has them at a few hundred more than a battery only ! I run 1 solar array into the Delta pro # 1 ( 4 x 260 watts ) and delta pro # 2 ( solar 3x 315 watts ) . We’ve had storms here in So Cal , so I’m just waiting for good sunny days . I am running Delta 2 pro into AC charge on Delta 1 pro (set ac charge to 800 watts ) and set Delta 2 to “ shut off “ at 16% and I charge one with the other ! This allowed me to DOUBLE the inverter solar capacity , have system redundancy if one array or delta goes down , at a small increase over another “ add on “ battery and get 10.8 kw capacity . It’s all plug and play and works great ( with the exception I don’t have 240v so oven doesn’t work or large air compressor in garage , but I never use it anyway , and I don’t have gfi in bathroom but lights and fan work so that’s good enough ). I’m off high tier and am generating about $ 100 of my bill ( cut in half ) . At 1200 per year , pay back in 7.6 years

****Clean set up ! I’m using a reliant transfer , 2 Delta Pros ( to double Solar ) and used tier 1 panels I bought at a great price point . I had an electrician put in the transfer … and a weather resistant box as it’s outside next to panel . Wall pass through for my 2 Pros / 1 Battery
I run a delta pro into a manual transfer switch using a wall pass through and the 30 amp RV plug , and in the circuit that has the gfi plugs in bathroom , it tripped overload on delta pro immediately! No issue on other circuits… and those run 75% of my needs ( refrigerators and central heat ) . I have an extra battery , and I just added another Delta pro generator because Costco has them at a few hundred more than a battery only ! I run 1 solar array into the Delta pro # 1 ( 4 x 260 watts ) and delta pro # 2 ( solar 3x 315 watts ) . We’ve had storms here in So Cal , so I’m just waiting for good sunny days . I am running Delta 2 pro into AC charge on Delta 1 pro (set ac charge to 800 watts ) and set Delta 2 to “ shut off “ at 16% and I charge one with the other ! This allowed me to DOUBLE the inverter solar capacity , have system redundancy if one array or delta goes down , at a small increase over another “ add on “ battery and get 10.8 kw capacity . It’s all plug and play and works great ( with the exception I don’t have 240v so oven doesn’t work or large air compressor in garage , but I never use it anyway , and I don’t have gfi in bathroom but lights and fan work so that’s good enough ). I’m off high tier and am generating about $ 100 of my bill ( cut in half ) . At 1200 per year , pay back in 7.6 years
Nice!

Quick question about the nuisance trip on c/afci + gfci circuits when switching from LINE to GEN. Does that happen b/c of something going on in the Delta Pro? Does the Delta Pro inverter bond neutral & ground?

I'm thinking about doing a similar setup with a Reliance transfer switch, but instead of Delta Pro, using a Victron Multiplus-II and my own 48v battery bank. I'm wondering if I should expect the same nuisance tripping on afci/gfci breakers.

Parts:

I'm looking to do something similar but am confused wrt the adapter cord. That does not appear to be the correct cord to connect an Ecoflow Delta Pro to the Reliance Transfer switch input. ?? 4-prong on both ends, not three on one end as that adapter cord appears to be.
???

This looks like the correct adapter cord - https://www.amazon.com/Champion-250.../B076HQ2THC/ref=psdc_3480710011_t2_B08BHVFSN7

???

Or maybe I'm just confused .... perhaps it's different with the Dual Delta Pro setup?

Okay so I'm maybe just a bit confused, but the fog is clearing.... Watching this video https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-pro-double-voltage-hub?variant=40521719251017

it appears that the 4-prong adapter is just for the 220v Dual Delta Pro connection to the transfer switch. And so also I'm assuming that with a Single Delta Pro you can only power/transfer 120 volt circuits....which makes sense!

Sorry for my confusion but perhaps that will help others as well.

Last edited:
Back