diy solar

diy solar

EcoFlow Delta Pro - FIVE Units Down. Something's awry here...

That's actually how I fried the charge circuit in one of my units. I think it should have an isolated AC input. Would cost more though.
I would love to see a company come out with a unit that is pretty much a double conversion unit..
Always runs the inverter from the battery, so no delay or transfer time..
Switching power supply that isolates the AC input...
Won't be as efficient though.. And yes, the cost would increase..

Wow!

I just found this thread and read through it all. I think I held my breath for most of it! I have two Delta Pros and have used them for over a year without issue. If using the AC input is part of the problem, I think my stubborn nature may have saved me.

Since it's labeled a "solar generator", I decided to only ever charge it with solar panels. I started with two portable panels, then upgraded to six panels that I purchased for a much larger home project. Three panels per Delta Pro kept them fully charged while running my house all day long. When the sun went down, we switched back to the grid.

Now, we have an EG4 18kpv with 3 PowerPro batteries providing 42KW of backup. I'm still installing the solar farm of 32 460w panels but that's going to take me a while to finish on my own. The six panels from the Delta Pros are providing some charging power to the EG4 but not enough to keep the batteries charged. It's just more motivation to finish my solar panel farm.

In the mean time, my Delta Pros are sitting in the garage waiting for their next mission in life. I can tell you this much, they won't see the business end of an AC cord!

Thanks for all the information on this thread!

I don't think it's always the case that the product doesn't work. The product does work, and you're almost never going to get a perfect product for your application. Units fail because of components, sub-components, and, yes, even flat-out DOA. I work for a company where I see all the ins and outs of what goes right and wrong. I'm sure the percentage of defective units is low compared to the good units out in the field. I believe customer service for these types of companies needs more personnel and better training, after all. Support usually has a script and canned responses, so they are limited in what they can do, say, and/or try.

If you check other online forums, you will usually find that only negative things get posted, so it becomes the only thing you see. Try to find helpful reviews, and it’s usually just a handful. Anytime there is an excellent product, people don't post much unless it’s a review, and it tends to be limited (they tend to be boring). Go try and find videos for the ECOFLOW Pro from end-users, and there are only a handful. Their product is working for them until it’s not.

Full disclosure, I own the following from the Kickstarter campaign:

• EcoFlow DeltaPro (x2)
  • EcoFlow DeltaPro Extra Battery (x4)
  • EcoFlow Smart Home Panel
  • EcoFlow HUB adaptor
  • EcoFlow Delta MAX(V1)
  • EcoFlow WAVE(V1)And other little supporting accessories.
If you asked me if you could take another route, would you? I’d say yes. I would just get one DeltaPro as I do like the platform as a standalone mobile station. Right now, I’m getting ready to transition to the EG4 18Kpv as the main unit to run EcoFlow Smart Home Panel (SHP). The 18Kpv is backed by 4 EG4 -LL batteries (20kwh) and 5kw+ (another 5kw sitting on a pallet) of PV.

All in all, like Will Prowse says in many of his videos, “Only time will tell” how a product will turn out and the company backing it.
Like I said in my post it seems to be hit or miss from what i've seen and talked to other Ecoflow users. Mainly the SHP that was my issue. That and the poor tech support that kept making me start from square one every time I called them. Hard to connect to the higher level of tech support and the language barrier since the high level support is in China. Literally they would ask dumb questions like "did you turn it on", is it connected correctly, etc. And this was after many weeks of working my way up the tech support chain. I don't like poo pooing a product but they left me no choice. And they still are ghosting me over paying for the panel to be removed when they asked for the invoice.

Wow!

I just found this thread and read through it all. I think I held my breath for most of it! I have two Delta Pros and have used them for over a year without issue. If using the AC input is part of the problem, I think my stubborn nature may have saved me.

Since it's labeled a "solar generator", I decided to only ever charge it with solar panels. I started with two portable panels, then upgraded to six panels that I purchased for a much larger home project. Three panels per Delta Pro kept them fully charged while running my house all day long. When the sun went down, we switched back to the grid.

Now, we have an EG4 18kpv with 3 PowerPro batteries providing 42KW of backup. I'm still installing the solar farm of 32 460w panels but that's going to take me a while to finish on my own. The six panels from the Delta Pros are providing some charging power to the EG4 but not enough to keep the batteries charged. It's just more motivation to finish my solar panel farm.

In the mean time, my Delta Pros are sitting in the garage waiting for their next mission in life. I can tell you this much, they won't see the business end of an AC cord!

Thanks for all the information on this thread!
Just in case I wasn't clear in any of my previous messages, the only a/c plug my delta pro was plugged into was the infinity cable going to the smart home panel and I wasn't charging nor do I plan to use it that way. I also had 2 Renogy 550w solar panels plugged in via XT60i. Those panels are approx 49.7voc/ each for less than a total of 100v well under the 150v max delta pro advertises.

Just in case I wasn't clear in any of my previous messages, the only a/c plug my delta pro was plugged into was the infinity cable going to the smart home panel and I wasn't charging nor do I plan to use it that way. I also had 2 Renogy 550w solar panels plugged in via XT60i. Those panels are approx 49.7voc/ each for less than a total of 100v well under the 150v max delta pro advertises.
Good strategy. I personally use Canadian Solar panels via XTi60 with 49.1voc 2s2p for each bank, providing me about 1.3kw in decent weather. However, I make a significant impact with the 18Kpv running 10 Trina 545w Bifacial panels (and still have another 10pcs on a pallet), totaling 5kw+. I plug in the DeltaPro’s one at a time; one runs the home via SHP, and the other gets charged via solar and AC from the 18Kpv until I have time to rewire things. Additionally, I charge the server battery bank (20Kwh). I need to purchase 2 more EG4-LL's to have a full rack.

Good strategy. I personally use Canadian Solar panels via XTi60 with 49.1voc 2s2p for each bank, providing me about 1.3kw in decent weather. However, I make a significant impact with the 18Kpv running 10 Trina 545w Bifacial panels (and still have another 10pcs on a pallet), totaling 5kw+. I plug in the DeltaPro’s one at a time; one runs the home via SHP, and the other gets charged via solar and AC from the 18Kpv until I have time to rewire things. Additionally, I charge the server battery bank (20Kwh). I need to purchase 2 more EG4-LL's to have a full rack.
Yeah... these 550w are amazing and I'm really liking them. However, the limitation is the 150v max on the delta pro. I just recently purchased a victron 250/100 and learning about it and probably going to go ahead and wire it up to my new 51.2v batteries to keep them charged up. I just need to figure out how many panels I really want to use and how to wire them.

Sounds like the Smart Home Panel is the problem to me. Have you noticed the complete redesign of the SHP with the SHP2.

I had 2 Delta Pros, 4 xtra batteries, and the smart home panel (first one), the SHP was defective and fried one of DP’s, it took a month to replace the DP but ECOFLOW wouldn’t admit that the problem was the SHP. So with that philosophy on what was wrong they continued to say the error was on the DP side and the same thing happened again and they had to replace both DP’s the second time. That took 2 months. Then I refused to connect the DP’s to the SHP because I knew it would happen again but they insisted on connecting everything and running a wiring test. It passed the wiring test but fried a board in one of the DP’s again. They finally admitted the SHP was a problem. They replaced one more DP after 6 weeks of back and forth. I had to pay an electrician to disconnect the SHP, they told me to send them a copy of the bill. They did send me a new SHP (took 6 weeks) and never reimbursed me for the electrical work. I’m done with them. I sold everything except for one DP that I use as a mobile solar generator not on my house. I now have a Sol-Ark system and I’m using grid as backup 24/7. Yes more money but the real deal. Horrible customer service at ECOFLOW… Sol-Ark tech support 👍🏻👍🏻
Hey Mauddib,

I'm not sure if you meant to respond to me, but I never installed the Smart Home Panel, as I never had a pair of Delta Pros working long enough to even consider that stuff.

But I DEFINITELY feel your pain as far as dealing with EcoFlow. You and I both went in essentially on the same package (I had a few solar panels, too), and the product support was just ridiculous.

I was eventually gifted another 400W portable panel after all the back 'n forth, but did as you and whittled it down to just one Delta pro, that I use as a back-up mobile generator on my RV. (I have 1200kWh of battery otherwise on that RV, so DP is there also in case I want / need to use a Level II car charger to charge up my RV, via the Delta Pro. I could conceivable spend an afternoon parked charging up at a Level II charger, which are often empty , so this gives me that option when out on the road.)

-Scott

Will, I posted up on the FB forum (Delta Pro forum) and people are coming out of the woodwork stating they too had the same issue (burning , smoking). I was hoping that would NOT be the case.
Sorry for chiming in so late here... I think I mention this in my initial posts in this thread (I'm the OP) that the "magic smoke" issue has been known for a while... I had that at least once. (I think my brain has mostly suppressed the dark memories of my time dealing with EcoFlow... LOL)

-S

Like I said in my post it seems to be hit or miss from what i've seen and talked to other Ecoflow users. Mainly the SHP that was my issue. That and the poor tech support that kept making me start from square one every time I called them. Hard to connect to the higher level of tech support and the language barrier since the high level support is in China. Literally they would ask dumb questions like "did you turn it on", is it connected correctly, etc. And this was after many weeks of working my way up the tech support chain. I don't like poo pooing a product but they left me no choice. And they still are ghosting me over paying for the panel to be removed when they asked for the invoice.
You may have to talk directly to Gloria Yang on Facebook, who is admins (I think) the EcoFlow FB group. She was my go to on a couple occasions when I needed to get to the bottom of one of several issues.

This included when they had quoted my refund amount, received all the units I sent back (7 boxes of stuff, I believe), acknowledged that the contents were correct per our agreement and STILL were giving me the run around on paying me back. That went on, I want to say, for a couple weeks before I finally got my money back. I was about to open a social media shitstorm, but contacted Gloria and she took care of things lickety split.

-S

Back