diy solar

diy solar

EcoFlow Delta Pros do not allow charging from AC line power when Dual Voltage hub is enabled.

Aquaman

I pulled the trigger on the EcoFlow delta pros with the 220v Dual Voltage hub. I waited 3 months for the 220volt hub to arrive so just used extension cords to power certain appliances. So far, so good. The long awaited dual voltage hub for my system arrived and it has been running most of my home through a Reliance controls 30 amp manual outdoor transfer switch. Some circuits in my home are still line powered. I was hoping that as a contingency for occasional cloudy days at this desert house, especially with the upcoming monsoon season, I could have a (Wemo) remote switch to bring line power to the Delta Pro unit when there is not enough sun to charge it. It turns out that this is not possible. I learned this a few days ago when trying to charge a unit with 110volt line power and then smelled smoke or something burning coming from the unit with no charge being displayed on the unit. It will still charge with ac power when the dual voltage hub is disabled but will not charge under the normal operation with The hub in place. No where does any manual say that the hub and ac input power cannot be used at the same time. I reached out to Eco Flow directly and they seem to not be aware of the failure of these units to charge via AC house current when the dual voltage hub is active. They are only willing to do warranty replacement. Has anyone else had this issue. I think I'm going to run into the same problem with warranty replacements.

I may be imaging this, but I feel like either Will or HoboTech ran into this in one of their video reviews...

I pulled the trigger on the EcoFlow delta pros with the 220v Dual Voltage hub. I waited 3 months for the 220volt hub to arrive so just used extension cords to power certain appliances. So far, so good. The long awaited dual voltage hub for my system arrived and it has been running most of my home through a Reliance controls 30 amp manual outdoor transfer switch. Some circuits in my home are still line powered. I was hoping that as a contingency for occasional cloudy days at this desert house, especially with the upcoming monsoon season, I could have a (Wemo) remote switch to bring line power to the Delta Pro unit when there is not enough sun to charge it. It turns out that this is not possible. I learned this a few days ago when trying to charge a unit with 110volt line power and then smelled smoke or something burning coming from the unit with no charge being displayed on the unit. It will still charge with ac power when the dual voltage hub is disabled but will not charge under the normal operation with The hub in place. No where does any manual say that the hub and ac input power cannot be used at the same time. I reached out to Eco Flow directly and they seem to not be aware of the failure of these units to charge via AC house current when the dual voltage hub is active. They are only willing to do warranty replacement. Has anyone else had this issue. I think I'm going to run into the same problem with warranty replacements.
This would defeat the purpose of using Ecoflows as main backup and recharging with a generator if grid power is still out. They had better fix this or there is no way I'm buying two Ecoflow Delta Pros to run at 240V split phase.

I may be imaging this, but I feel like either Will or HoboTech ran into this in one of their video reviews...
Yes. Will blew out the AC to DC converter on one of his Delta Pros and admitted the fault to be his but he was double grounded as he was trying to get his system to charge his Tesla. I just have mine set-up with AC input from a generator source but its a no go for either Delta Pro when tied to the hub. The burning wire smell was quite alarming. I can still charge the units with ac line input but the Dual voltage hub has to be off to do that.

Generically speaking. If you take split phase you have to feed it split phase. And the hardware must be designed to accommodate it. IE. My MPP3048's are in parallel for split phase. Each has a utility charger and each is 180⁰ out of phase with the other. You are in the realm of the split phase gremlins.
I know nothing about your hardware but I'm not surprised you cant input single phase 120 and output split phase 240.

I wonder if it would work if the two Delta Pro units were each fed one leg of a split-phase 240V input (like from an inverter generator using an L14-30 splitter cord):

L14-30P Y-Connector

Yes. Will blew out the AC to DC converter on one of his Delta Pros and admitted the fault to be his but he was double grounded as he was trying to get his system to charge his Tesla. I just have mine set-up with AC input from a generator source but its a no go for either Delta Pro when tied to the hub. The burning wire smell was quite alarming. I can still charge the units with ac line input but the Dual voltage hub has to be off to do that.
Did you mention the generator when talking to Eco Flow?

I would not connect any power to the Delta Pros, even though your units still seem to work. The "burning wire smell" means something went terribly wrong and will probably get much worse very quickly.

It is possible to route power from either/both legs of 120v house power, but I should try charging with my inverter gas generator and see what comes of that. I'll see if I can get around to that today......

Yeah, maybe I'll just leave it alone in the functioning state of taking solar as it's primary charge source for now.

Yeah, maybe I'll just leave it alone in the functioning state of taking solar as it's primary charge source for now.
You mentioned warranty replacement.
Ship it/them back and let them figure out what happened.
Start fresh and don't do what you did to smoke them.

I wonder if it would work if the two Delta Pro units were each fed one leg of a split-phase 240V input (like from an inverter generator using an L14-30 splitter cord):

L14-30P Y-Connector
I’d just buy a US-configured AIO and some batteries and be done with. Usually twice as much system can be had for the same money.

This guy set up two switch mode power supplies to charge his two Delta Pro units while they are powering the house, feeding them with his Yamaha generator:

So, EcoFlow finally admitted that "these units do not allow 110 volt AC input or output when the infinity ports are connected" It's something that they are not upfront about at all and it's disappointing. If you want the dual voltage hub, you will have to rely on solar. I see in the above video that his work-around was to buy big AC to DC converters to charge the units. I'd just connect my 240 volt generator directly to the house when it's not sunny on a day the power goes out. Good thing I'm set-up in the sunny desert. Don't quite like those noisy generators.

Ecoflow finally admitted to me that the AC inputs and outputs would not be available when the Hub is used to get 120/240V output. This was disappointing because solar is not very intense in Alaska and not always available. In extended outages I would be forced to disconnect from the power stations and connect my gasoline powered generator to my transfer switch and recharge the delta pro's.

One other option that I will be trying is to supply my AC-DC unit (0-150VDC and Max 10A) via my gasoline generator and connect to the solar port to charge the individual power stations at 1500W without having to interrupt the Delta Pro's connection to the transfer switch. After reviewing the WH usage, I could get 18 hours backup for 6 hours gasoline generation. I will test that as soon as my DC power supply arrives.

DC is the only charge these units will take while the DVH is active. Sounds like a good plan.

One other option that I will be trying is to supply my AC-DC unit (0-150VDC and Max 10A) via my gasoline generator and connect to the solar port to charge the individual power stations at 1500W without having to interrupt the Delta Pro's connection to the transfer switch. After reviewing the WH usage, I could get 18 hours backup for 6 hours gasoline generation. I will test that as soon as my DC power supply arrives.
Be sure to check out this post on using XT60i connectors to get the full amperage that the Delta Pro can handle from the DC converters: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...itching-power-supply.43369/page-2#post-595044

Generically speaking. If you take split phase you have to feed it split phase. And the hardware must be designed to accommodate it. IE. My MPP3048's are in parallel for split phase. Each has a utility charger and each is 180⁰ out of phase with the other. You are in the realm of the split phase gremlins.
I know nothing about your hardware but I'm not surprised you cant input single phase 120 and output split phase 240.
What is absurd about this is each Delta Pro is only producing 120V out, so it should be able to take 120V in at the same time. The DVH is to act as the method to keep phase split to support 240V.

In my application (RV), its dual 120V lines (fake 240V), and the EcoFlow still wont output the 120V x 2 to the RV while taking in 120V shore power. This is an intended use case and a failure of EcoFlow not to account for it. We’ve been able to architect Victron systems to accomplish this and leverage AC as an input when it’s available and even supplement when AC is insufficient.

If the EcoFlow Power Kits are capable of this, then the Delta Pro should be capable. If the Power Kits have the same problem, these are useless in mobile off-grid applications and is not clearly documented before we encounter this.

want to Plug my Delta2 into my 120v grid. Then I want to plug my L1 EV charger into my Delta 2 to charge at 880watts
You know, I think he was doing a demonstration exercise, learning scenario. Thing is I don’t believe doing that as a daily planned/intended use with that thing is going go that well imho.
And why not just charge from the grid, then? It would be more efficient.

Back