diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Pro question

Stormy873

Long term storage question regarding the ECOFlow Delta Pro. How long can the unit be safely stored fully charged? I know that it is recommended to store it at 60% and discharge to 30% every three months and then charge back to 60% but that seems like a lot of babysitting the unit and tying up a couple of hours to achieve. I cant imagine the complications if I add addional batteries to the miic…figuring a way to discharge that amount without wasting the resource…seems like a real issue. In addition, it defeats my need to have entire amount of watt hours at the ready during power outages that can’t be anticipated in advance. So, I’d like feedback from users in a similar situation..I naively thought I could just buy a unit, charge it up, run it down make sure everything was functional then charge to 100% and when the power goes off, I put it to work. Now it seem that I would need to start my generator, top off the batteries and then move forward. Which wreaks havic with my desire not to have to start the generator every time the power goes off.

I'm a recent purchaser of EcoFlow Delta Pro (I haven't got my carton opened up yet, FWIW.) I've been researching this exact question and have heard so many responses that it is almost humorous. I figured that when I opened my box, I would find a manual with the recommendation in it. With all the different information running about, I presume that isn't going to be the case.

I have my own burning question at the moment. Because I now realize that I just can't charge the thing and let it sit until an emergency, I'm looking at adding a fossil fuel generator of some sort to charge it up in emergencies. I see a nice tri-fuel one at Costco that is one sale, but it isn't Pure Sine Wave output, and I wonder if I will be able to even charge us the Delta Pro with that type of current.

I also read somewhere that you could use another brand of generator to charge up the Delta Pro, but it had to be done using a 240 Volt output. I don't understand why you could just take the 120 volt output and run it via an extension cord from the generator to the 120 V input plug on the Delta Pro. Can someone explain why this wouldn't work?

(You can obviously tell by questions that I'm new to all of this.) Thanks for any information you can offer.

I'm a recent purchaser of EcoFlow Delta Pro (I haven't got my carton opened up yet, FWIW.) I've been researching this exact question and have heard so many responses that it is almost humorous. I figured that when I opened my box, I would find a manual with the recommendation in it. With all the different information running about, I presume that isn't going to be the case.

I have my own burning question at the moment. Because I now realize that I just can't charge the thing and let it sit until an emergency, I'm looking at adding a fossil fuel generator of some sort to charge it up in emergencies. I see a nice tri-fuel one at Costco that is one sale, but it isn't Pure Sine Wave output, and I wonder if I will be able to even charge us the Delta Pro with that type of current.

I also read somewhere that you could use another brand of generator to charge up the Delta Pro, but it had to be done using a 240 Volt output. I don't understand why you could just take the 120 volt output and run it via an extension cord from the generator to the 120 V input plug on the Delta Pro. Can someone explain why this wouldn't work?

(You can obviously tell by questions that I'm new to all of this.) Thanks for any information you can offer.
Ecoflow offers its own Smart Gasoline Generator to charge the DeltaPro in the scenario you presented.

Long term storage question regarding the ECOFlow Delta Pro. How long can the unit be safely stored fully charged? I know that it is recommended to store it at 60% and discharge to 30% every three months and then charge back to 60% but that seems like a lot of babysitting the unit and tying up a couple of hours to achieve. I cant imagine the complications if I add addional batteries to the miic…figuring a way to discharge that amount without wasting the resource…seems like a real issue. In addition, it defeats my need to have entire amount of watt hours at the ready during power outages that can’t be anticipated in advance. So, I’d like feedback from users in a similar situation..I naively thought I could just buy a unit, charge it up, run it down make sure everything was functional then charge to 100% and when the power goes off, I put it to work. Now it seem that I would need to start my generator, top off the batteries and then move forward. Which wreaks havic with my desire not to have to start the generator every time the power goes off.
To put the DeltaPro to use I use it to load-shift the appliances I use in the kitchen. During Peak electrical rates the appliances are running off the DeltaPro. During off-peak rates the DeltaPro charges from the grid. When the emergency ultimately strikes, the DeltaPro will already be on duty. My financial condition requires that the DeltaPro be working to save me money. I can‘t afford to keep it stored and unused. The 30% - 60% State of Charge issue is avoided completely.

Ecoflow offers its own Smart Gasoline Generator to charge the DeltaPro in the scenario you presented.
I'm looking to get a tri-power unit for the safety of being able to have propane instead of a gas can around, and I also want to be able to use natural gas that is already supplied to our house should the need be simply because the electric grid is down. IIRC, the Ecoflow unit has a very small gas tank and uses only gas.

To put the DeltaPro to use I use it to load-shift the appliances I use in the kitchen. During Peak electrical rates the appliances are running off the DeltaPro. During off-peak rates the DeltaPro charges from the grid. When the emergency ultimately strikes, the DeltaPro will already be on duty. My financial condition requires that the DeltaPro be working to save me money. I can‘t afford to keep it stored and unused. The 30% - 60% State of Charge issue is avoided completely.
That is one of the reasons we didn't hesitate to buy EcoFlow Delta Pros. Our PUD recently went around and installed "smart meters" on most of the houses in our city. (With the exception of some homeowners who refused them and are now paying a higher rate due to that refusal.)

With the infrastructure in place we see the writing on the wall. We presume that it isn't a matter of "if" but "when" a rate shifting structure will come to us. At that point our Delta Pros will start earning for us.

My financial condition requires that the DeltaPro be working to save me money
But the expense of the eachoflo didn’t factor in? Not trying to be a jerk but $$ to Ah any eachoflo doesn’t compute.

But the expense of the eachoflo didn’t factor in? Not trying to be a jerk but $$ to Ah any eachoflo doesn’t compute.
All expenses factor in. I just didn’t want to save money on my electric bill on a monthly basis. I also wanted the best battery ecosystem to handle the ever-present blackout emergency. The fact that it’s a battery backup system that I can build over time is also an important financial consideration. It’s this type of mindset that I apply to all equipment I’ve used for important tasks. I try to acquire the best equipment I can afford and then “use it to the max” in every possible way. I spend a great deal of time researching prior to devising a plan and then making purchases. Sometimes I take too much time researching and the technology I originally targeted becomes obsolete. But, the longer I wait the higher the chance that prices go down. Being a US Army Veteran also gets me a 10% discount on Ecoflow products at my local Lowe’s Hardware Store. I don’t suggest people adopt my mindset. But I always advise friends to stick with quality and ensure that any purchase truly solves a pressing issue.

I'm looking to get a tri-power unit for the safety of being able to have propane instead of a gas can around, and I also want to be able to use natural gas that is already supplied to our house should the need be simply because the electric grid is down. IIRC, the Ecoflow unit has a very small gas tank and uses only gas.
You’re right. The Smart generator has a small gasoline capacity. One way to conserve that gasoline is to set the generator to charge the DeltaPro to a preset state of charge, then it’ll stop. Once the state of charge goes below that preset, the generator will restart automatically and follow the routine once again. This could extend the limited gasoline for a length of time. Imagine, the electrical load you’ll have during a blackout will vary, especially during the night. Therefore, you don’t need to have a generator running and charging a battery that is handling a light electrical load.

I can‘t afford to keep it stored and unused
I just didn’t want to save money on my electric bill on a monthly basis
try to acquire the best equipment I can afford and then “use it to the max”

Ok. I’m confused. Well i hope you achieve your expectations.

If and when replacing the eechoflo comes around I’d suggest researching components a bit. Twice the power, way shorter stack of dollars.

Back