diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow river pro Charger agm battery

Lukasbido

Hi,

I have bought the ecoflow river pro for my sailboat and would like to integrate it with the existing 12 volt agm batteries. My idea is to charge the pro from solar and then charge the 12 volt batteries from the pro. I would like to use the 12 volt car adapter to xt60 cable and connect it to the batteries using something like this:

Do I need something else in between the batteries or is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you propose. If the intention is to connect the charged up ER pro to the agm via the DC output, then charging to a significant extent wont take place because the 13.6 V is low. Its not clear from the literature if the output is current limited if excess current is drawn, or if the unit shuts down. Assuming there is no shutdown it would put some charge into very dischrged AGM, but there is limited power available, only 20 to 25 Ah in the ER pro ( compared to at a guess 200 Ah or more in the AGM).

If you have solar input into the ER pro, then you would have 13.6 V at a maximum of 10 amps, for as long as the solar yield is greater than the demand.

To fully charge the AGM you will need a charging system with at least 14.4 volt capability. Thus either connect the AC output on the ER pro to a battery charger or have a DC to DC charger between the unit and AGM battery. ( both chargers selected so the maximum current limit of the ER pro , 10 A, is not exceed).

Mike

Not quite sure what you propose. If the intention is to connect the charged up ER pro to the agm via the DC output, then charging to a significant extent wont take place because the 13.6 V is low. Its not clear from the literature if the output is current limited if excess current is drawn, or if the unit shuts down. Assuming there is no shutdown it would put some charge into very dischrged AGM, but there is limited power available, only 20 to 25 Ah in the ER pro ( compared to at a guess 200 Ah or more in the AGM).

If you have solar input into the ER pro, then you would have 13.6 V at a maximum of 10 amps, for as long as the solar yield is greater than the demand.

To fully charge the AGM you will need a charging system with at least 14.4 volt capability. Thus either connect the AC output on the ER pro to a battery charger or have a DC to DC charger between the unit and AGM battery. ( both chargers selected so the maximum current limit of the ER pro , 10 A, is not exceed).

Mike
Thanks for the reply,

Really, what i want is to be able to integrate the er pro with the existing system thats already connected to all the electronics in the boat (fridge, lamps etc) but still be able to use the portability of the er pro. From your answer it seems like a dc-dc Charger would be my best bet. I want the agm battery to continously draw power from the er pro and the er pro to act as a solar generator and power reservoar if that makes sense.

I have been thinking of doing something similar on my boat with the ERPro (or similar unit) but my aim is to get AC from that unit for TV, fans, etc, and let the DC users draw from the AGM house bank. To charge the AGMs I'd go from the solar panel(s) to the AGMs not through the ERPro.

Thinking more about your, and my own, plans, it would seem best for you to get a good "smart" AC battery charger to keep the AGM bank topped up with the AC coming from the ERPro. I could do essentially the same by connecting the ERPro to my AC panel from which my "smart" charger gets its power (when connected to the shore power source). Lykke til!

Back