diy solar

diy solar

Edison Batteries

Hillbilly

I was not able to find any info on this site about these batteries. I only have some cursory knowledge on them, that they heavy, not very energy dense, hard to duplicate BUT have significant longevity. This may be partially or completely wrong.

IMO new batteries are great re: energy density but they are all a recurring source of cost/replacement. Supposedly that isn't so true with Edison batteries.

Thoughts?

Yeah but why now? 10-15 years ago, sure. Now with lifepo4 theres no point especially with the price point of the edisons. IDK why all this time it wasnt standard to just have an automatic 24hr battery switch and multi-ouput controllers that go between 3-4 smaller battery banks. That way all the problems of lead acid wouldve been solved. But its all piss in the wind now.

Thoughts?

Edison Batteries are also called Nickel Iron or NI-FE.

Checkout my thread....

I go into great detail my setup, I have tons of data to backup my experience also. And I agree, most batteries require replacement and their cost is structured such that you might as well be on the grid!! This is the primary reason I went NI-FE because I wanted to not only be truly be off grid but also off plantation!!

Last edited:
Edison Batteries are also called Nickel Iron or NI-FE.

I go intogreat detail my setup, I have tons of data to backup my experience also. And I agree, most batteries require replacement and their cost is structured such that you might as well be on the grid!! This is the primary reason I went NI-FE because I wanted to truly be off grid and off plantation!!
What coloumbic efficiency do you get?

What coloumbic efficiency do you get?

This year for the total system...
Source 2265.84kWh, Load 2084.09kWh

Probably half of that being direct solar to load, with the other half being via the batteries. But honestly, who cares? The sun shines regardless and panels are cheap!

This year for the total system...
Source 2265.84kWh, Load 2084.09kWh

Probably half of that being direct solar to load, with the other half being via the batteries. But honestly, who cares? The sun shines regardless and panels are cheap!
If you can oversize your solar & can get through winter days then that seems a valid approach.
2084/2265=0.9201 92% efficiency? That's better than I thought they were

That's better than I thought they were
Their no worse than Lead Acid, however if you decide to overcharge them to gain 30% capacity over the rating (as the old Edison manual says you can do), your efficiency will drop through the floor!! But if your on solar and its a sunny winters day and a storms a coming, you may elect to do that. There are many misconceptions about this battery type, efficiency is one of them, because yes you can make it as atrocious as you want, the batteries don't care! thats why I've written my thread I posted earlier.

Same goes with energy density, when it comes to stationary solar storage thats mostly irreverent. And if you don't have the space then NI-FE isn't for you anyways!

Some Edison battery cores have been in service for 80 years. The case only lasts 40 years. The alkaline electrolyte replaced every 5-10 years. Nickel is heavy and expensive. They are slow to charge and discharge. There are efforts being made to look back at old battery tech with new hi-tech tools. Prior conclusions on the how and why of battery limitations are being proved false.

Back