diy solar

diy solar

EEL Cells EVE280k: Caveat Emptor

Elwood64

As noted in yesterday's thread about QR tag conflicts, I just received four EVE280k cells from EEL Battery via Amazon. These are my first cells for a build, but I've had SLA with off-grid solar for several years. Basically, one of these cells had apparently been shorted by a bus bar prior to shipping.

The cells arrived in two boxes, two to a box. The first box had a single, loose bus bar laying on top of the packing foam right under the top cardboard. I thought that was a little weird, but it's the type with a dogleg in the middle (flexible?) and was well-pressed into the foam. It couldn't have been floating around the box once sealed. Under that top piece of thick foam, I unexpectedly found that the cells had the new, large, two-hole terminals. Those on one had clear signs of arcing. The cells were packed side-by-side without foam between them; it was to one side of the pair.

I didn't put 2+2 together until I opened the second box. There a pair of bus bars and screws (8) were in a static bag on top of the foam under the cardboard top. The cells had the same large terminals and were packed with a thick piece of foam between them. "Ah, ha," thinks I. This was how the first box was originally packed. Back in the first box, I found a handful of loose screws under the cell with terminal arcing. Like the bus bar on top, they were so pressed into the foam once the cell was placed on top of them that they couldn't have been bouncing around during shipment.

Long story a bit shorter, I found that the loose bus bar also had signs of arcing - ones that exactly reflected marks on the terminals. It's clear to see. My guess is that they pulled a bar out of the pack to leave three for 4S, dropped it on the terminals, got the inevitable results, and quickly repackaged the box neglecting to put the foam between cells, but rather outside of them so everything was still tight in the foam.

The good news is that all four cells measure identical voltage and internal impedance (1.118M ohm). EEL has offered to extend the warranty to five years.

Keep 'em or not? Not a reassuring first-time experience. I'm still mulling over what to do about the QR label claiming they are EVE cells and the code claiming they're CATL. No answer from EEL on that, yet.

You paid over $800 for those, you overpaid. If CATL 280 grade B is what you wanted, Docan would have been way less around $550 ish.

EEL lies in its description claiming grade A. They are the same as any other Chinese sellers, no better than Basen, QSO, Docan, Dongguan Lighting, Onier, Deligreen, or any of htem. THey are selling basically the same thing. And the going rate is $500ish.

Although 18650batterystore may just destory them as they are expecting some grade B rept for just 500 with no wait. If 18650 can start carrying a reliable grade B supply for low prices, then its going to be game over for these ALI sellers.

As noted in yesterday's thread about QR tag conflicts, I just received four EVE280k cells from EEL Battery via Amazon. These are my first cells for a build, but I've had SLA with off-grid solar for several years. Basically, one of these cells had apparently been shorted by a bus bar prior to shipping.

The cells arrived in two boxes, two to a box. The first box had a single, loose bus bar laying on top of the packing foam right under the top cardboard. I thought that was a little weird, but it's the type with a dogleg in the middle (flexible?) and was well-pressed into the foam. It couldn't have been floating around the box once sealed. Under that top piece of thick foam, I unexpectedly found that the cells had the new, large, two-hole terminals. Those on one had clear signs of arcing. The cells were packed side-by-side without foam between them; it was to one side of the pair.

I didn't put 2+2 together until I opened the second box. There a pair of bus bars and screws (8) were in a static bag on top of the foam under the cardboard top. The cells had the same large terminals and were packed with a thick piece of foam between them. "Ah, ha," thinks I. This was how the first box was originally packed. Back in the first box, I found a handful of loose screws under the cell with terminal arcing. Like the bus bar on top, they were so pressed into the foam once the cell was placed on top of them that they couldn't have been bouncing around during shipment.

Long story a bit shorter, I found that the loose bus bar also had signs of arcing - ones that exactly reflected marks on the terminals. It's clear to see. My guess is that they pulled a bar out of the pack to leave three for 4S, dropped it on the terminals, got the inevitable results, and quickly repackaged the box neglecting to put the foam between cells, but rather outside of them so everything was still tight in the foam.

The good news is that all four cells measure identical voltage and internal impedance (1.118M ohm). EEL has offered to extend the warranty to five years.

Keep 'em or not? Not a reassuring first-time experience. I'm still mulling over what to do about the QR label claiming they are EVE cells and the code claiming they're CATL. No answer from EEL on that, yet.
1.118 milliohms?! Per cell? That’s really not good. They should be under 0.25 milliohms per datasheet but knowing we are all getting Grade B I’d be ok with 0.50 at a good price.

You paid over $800 for those, you overpaid. If CATL 280 grade B is what you wanted, Docan would have been way less around $550 ish.

EEL lies in its description claiming grade A. They are the same as any other Chinese sellers, no better than Basen, QSO, Docan, Dongguan Lighting, Onier, Deligreen, or any of htem. THey are selling basically the same thing. And the going rate is $500ish.

Although 18650batterystore may just destory them as they are expecting some grade B rept for just 500 with no wait. If 18650 can start carrying a reliable grade B supply for low prices, then its going to be game over for these ALI sellers.
BTW, 18650 will have

CATL 302Ah Grade B Cells - 3.2V LiFePO4 Battery - ETA JAN 25​

for $135!
If I build another battery pack, I will get these for sure.

BTW, 18650 will have

CATL 302Ah Grade B Cells - 3.2V LiFePO4 Battery - ETA JAN 25​

for $135!
If I build another battery pack, I will get these for sure.
How did or is this going on ... I may want to try my first

How did or is this going on ... I may want to try my first
I did not order the CATL 302Ah cell, I ordered 280Ah REPT cells fro $100 ea. in November and they are fine, if I will build another pack then I will try out the 302Ah cells.
Right now they still do not have them in stock still, expected date is now Feb 8th.

Back