diy solar

diy solar

Effect of shade on Series Set Up

rossmn

So I've read all about the merits of series vs. parallel set up, but I'm wondering if anyone has practical experience on the effects of shade on my trailer set up. I am in Minnesota and will be frequenting a lot of shady spots in state park campgrounds. I'm running four 200 Watt panels, so I don't really want to deal with the added wiring requirements of 4 panels in parallel, but I'm also worried about the effect of shade if I go 4 in series. So I'm thinking of splitting the difference and doing 2S2P. Anyone have practical experience on what sort of inefficiences I'm looking at if I run all in series? I know we're only adding inefficiency when some panels are shaded and some are in sun, which maybe makes this not worth a concern of doing anything in parallel. So any practical experience or wisdom is welcome. Since I am in Minnesota I've already sort of overdesigned the amount of panels needed, accounting for not being in an ideal spot for solar.

There is no magic to connecting the panels to always have a higher yield in variable shady conditions. The home tests I have seen are all close enough to call it about an equal disaster when subject to shade. Depends on the shade conditions but the drop in production is severe no matter what is done.

There is no magic to connecting the panels to always have a higher yield in variable shady conditions. The home tests I have seen are all close enough to call it about an equal disaster when subject to shade. Depends on the shade conditions but the drop in production is severe no matter what is done.
I guess I'm talking about the rare case where one or two panels are shaded. The shade wouldn't impede the others in a parallel set up. I'm wondering if the extra trouble for the parallel set up just isn't worth it.

Before you go changing your wiring, make sure your CC can handle it. Going from all parallel to all series could set you up for overvoltage. Going from all series to all parallel could result in overcurrent. You didn't specify the parameters, so just be sure you  can make those changes before racking your head about it.

Before you go changing your wiring, make sure your CC can handle it. Going from all parallel to all series could set you up for overvoltage. Going from all series to all parallel could result in overcurrent. You didn't specify the parameters, so just be sure you  can make those changes before racking your head about it.
Thanks, I'm well aware of the requirements. I haven't purchased the controller yet, but it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Back