EG4 3000 EHV-48 fire. Been running a 12 panel system with 2 EG4-lifepower batteries and the EG4 3000 EHV-48. Added the battery rack and 3rd battery

Prince Of Darkness

Solar Enthusiast
I would place additional OCPDs at the battery end of the cable, as well. That 125 A breaker that ships with the inverter, is shown in the manual, at the inverter.

It can be convenient, having a breaker at the inverter, as well as for the protection that it can add.

POD

chess-equality

Solar Enthusiast
For an AIO that does both inverting and charging, do you put 1 fits-all OCP device or you should cover both ways, 1 OCPD for the inverting and another OCPD for the charging?

FilterGuy

What, me worry?
For an AIO that does both inverting and charging, do you put 1 fits-all OCP device or you should cover both ways, 1 OCPD for the inverting and another OCPD for the charging?
All (?) AIOs have current limiting circuits on the charging, so OCP on the output is not needed. Even if there was a need the OCP would have to be rated for the typically much larger load current that would have to go through it.

Last edited:

chess-equality

Solar Enthusiast
Based on tear down it shares many similarities to a powmr 5.5kw inverter I have. Same style case, same blue pcb, same brand caps and relays, same fans, same internal plastic covers, same batt terminal, same labeling, etc...but I don't know who makes this model for powmr either. While some of their models are SRNE and Voltronic clones this one is not.

Neither one will communicate with solar assistant, but all the other Voltronic rebrands I have tried do.

At the end of day I am just curious who the OEM is. Bluesun is another distributor of this same inverter.

I was planning to buy a PowMr 24v version that looks very, very similar to the EG4 3000 EHV-48, but then I realized that the battery positive and negative terminals are very close to each other that they can cause a short if one is not careful enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm only basing it on pictures.

Nevertheless I guess I have a "short phobia" now ("Sins of a Solar Empire" 🤣) that I'm now actually shopping for an AIO that has the battery terminals way apart from each other.

As for the PowMr and EG4, I believe they're both clones (Voltronic)?

Shimmy

Solar Addict
At the input? What would the purpose of that be? I would put it at the battery.
It allows for a tap to be made in the line between the battery OCPD and the inverter OCPD... maybe for a charge controller or multiple units. It also should be there to protect the inverter... to a small degree at least. The inverter also is required to have a disconnecting means, which is usually interpreted as dedicated to the load.

tomy2

escape artist
If you put the breaker at the input of the inverter, there is nothing protecting the cable between the battery and the breaker
View attachment 103321

So lets fix this with a breaker at the battery.

View attachment 103322

Now the input to the inverter is double protected. That adds complexity but does not really help, so why have the breaker at the input to the inverter? Just use the one at the battery:

View attachment 103323

Over-current protection devices are always needed at the output of the power source. Over-current Protection devices are very rarely needed at the input of a load.
The supplied cable is only 4 feet long, I put the breaker right in the middle

timselectric

If I can do it, you can do it.
I decided on a fuse at each battery. A fuse at the bus bar for each inverter. And a breaker at each inverter for convenient disconnection.

copec

Solar Addict
Often a bad and/or loose connection can put heat into a PCB over time, which in turn causes a cap to fail.