diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000EHV-48 maximum 18amp PV input current

z_zk_z

I am not trying to pick on Signature Solar or EG4 but their manual says 18 amps max PV input current and at the same time, they have a sample table showing 2 strings of solar panels with 6 pcs in series. So, according to their own table, having 2 strings will results to approximately 20 amps which is more than 18. It also doesn't make sense why they sell groups of 10 solar panels. ? Anyway, it appears the 18 amp max value is not accurate according to their own manual and one can have a little more current. I purchased ten 445 watt panels and the first thing I noticed was the 18 amp max limit, so I cannot put all the ten panels in series (in order to stay under the 18 amp limit, at about 10 amps) because the voltage will be about 500 volts (50 volts more than recommend 450 volts input) and a simple solution would be to use only 8 or nine panels (not a good idea). I could also use all the ten panels in 5S2P configuration, however the current would be about 20 amps (more than 18 amp limit). Is anyone from EG4 or signature solar can look at the manual and comment on the 18 amp max current? Is having 20 amps safe? Thanks for any reply...

I think the unit is designed to go up in volts, panels in series. Max voltage = 500VDC (120VDC - 450VDC ), while keeping the Amps down.

80 Amps in post two is the battery charging amps, not that of the PV input.

Back