diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3kW won't charge with a generator

We get about 2000 hours out of an inexpensive open-frame (non-inverter) fuel gen; then something major (to me) is needed (engine, stator/rotor). It is then recycled and fed into the next one. Because it's open-frame, little problems are easily fixed.

Never had problems feeding inverters with this power, but we also only use a fuel gen for a backup source of power to recharge the battery-bank, when solar isn't solar'ing that day (or week). This load is in the sweet spot of gen's output. No variable loads, no light loads, no heavy loads ... just a steady charging function that is just right for the gen's wattage/operation.

So you sell an off grid inverter, with an ac input, removed the gen settings from the manual, but show a grid connection? For off grid? With no UL listing. And the target audience is whom?
Lots of us who have bought them apparently.
Mobile use case is one. Sometimes grid tied.

Not insulting owners, I am shaming manufactures/sellers. The OP bought an OFFGRID inverter and has a generator that conforms to the inverter manual specs. He doesn't have firmware options in his inverter as they were deleted and not allowed to change the window for generator usage due to the inverters blowing up, despite his manual stating he has them. His generator is also ETL certified and PGMA G300-2018 Compliant. The inverter has 0 certifications and meets 0 performance approvals, clearly the generator is to blame? and I am the one who draws the ire of others.

Not insulting owners, I am shaming manufactures/sellers. The OP bought an OFFGRID inverter and has a generator that conforms to the inverter manual specs. He doesn't have firmware options in his inverter as they were deleted and not allowed to change the window for generator usage due to the inverters blowing up, despite his manual stating he has them. His generator is also ETL certified and PGMA G300-2018 Compliant. The inverter has 0 certifications and meets 0 performance approvals, clearly the generator is to blame? and I am the one who draws the ire of others.
Agree, the only saving grace is the purchase price of these AIO's. I did get mine to work with a inverter generator.
Now if we could only get a Tier 1 US manufacture to design one and have it built off shore if necessary to work with almost any generator and have broader charging ranges with more control of charging set points they would have something, even if it costs twice as much.
I know there is a Tier 1 company selling them, but you can get a clone ALMOST as good for a third of the price.

Hi,

I have the EG4 3kW inverter (3000EHV-48). It charges over 120v AC 'house' power, but not 120v AC power from a generator? Generator is a 3000w Champion, and I have the AC max charge set to 18amp on the inverter, so plenty of 'generator' juice to charge, but it refused to charge.

When I plug the inverter into 'house' AC it charges without changing any settings on the inverter. What I'm I missing?

This setup does not have solar panels connected to it, I mainly use it for a backup power during extended power outages.

Thank you.
Have you watched this?

Yes, and the only thing truthful is written on his notebook prior to 3:00.
If you buy a company's products and don't take them at their word then is that really a "them" problem?
We would much rather you buy somebody else's unit and mess it up if you disagree. we are trying to be clear that we can't help the watt/voltage starved with poor quality genset segment of the market with our inverters.

just because other Chinese companies say it doesn't make it reliable.

The failure rate was to high with this function. If this setting was still there I’m sure we would be talking about the unit not working at all. But like I said before you can still use a generator but it needs to be twice the size of the inverter. We are not the only ones that say this. Just because this setting is gone doesn’t mean you can’t use a generator it just needs to be within spec.
How?

In what possible way was this designed worse than the cheapest of AC-DC power supplies from aliexpress? This thread gives me 0 confidence in the design, QA, or quality of EG4 products.

I've run all sorts of things from multiple generators over the years, some very very cheap. Anything with a switching power supply "just works". RPMs drop because the fridge kicked on and HZ goes down to 55? Works. Sinewave noisy from bad power factor on an AC unit? works. Voltage drops all the way to 100v? works. Wallwarts up to 1000W power supplies for PCs. Whats given me some of the most trouble? UPSes kicking back to battery when the HZ goes to high or low. Also trying to run things from a "MSW" inverter.

I 100% believe that things connected to the AIO might misbehave on some generators (a bunch of my LED bulbs are a bit iffy/flickery), and I can see worrying about people blaming you for that. But the AIO itself?

Last edited:
If I take your advice in the video, you state to not use 50% of the product, only as an inverter. In addition I need to purchase a separate charger and a very large, oversized generator. None of this seems to be clear as to why for the end user. I'll help you.

The reason you state this is due to your lack of PFC charging in your inverter/chargers on AC input, creating a poor power factor at the generator of roughly 0.6 while being operated at 100% current charger mode, demanding very high VARs from the genset, outside the usable range of any genset AVR, that is only rated at 0.8 PF, the industry standard. As the AVR is operated outside its design, the genset THD goes through the roof. This is why you have derated charger output trying to keep losses internally in control, which don't work and eventually overheat and it pops it semi's. Due to your charger PF being at/below 0.6 due to a poor design, you have only derated 33% of charger wattage but are absorbing at least 40% losses, hence the failure mode. You state to operate at least 2X generator than needed to make up for all of this and try keep the poor PF/poor THD in check. There is no such thing as a poor quality genset market as they are all tested/certified at the rated 0.8PF. You don't even publish charger specs for this reason. You marketed this product as offgrid with the expectation of solar heavy battery charging, not AC input, hence skipping the PFC charger due to cost and not being needed in the designers eyes. Due to such a low cost, everybody buys it for grid tie UPS, which is a problem due to no UL and heavy AC charging. In addition you have removed the ability to change the AC input parameters to essentially disallow the above scenario by creating a grid only AC qualification window on an offgrid inverter. You need the infinite AC grid to provide better PF/VARs and THD for your charger to avoid the strain. You also recommend purchasing a independent battery charger that adds PFC charging capabilities, but losing the ability to program charging profiles. Due to being a distributor stateside, you absorb warranty claims and provide support. Since you have control over software you have limited these features to help reduce failures. Did I miss anything?

I am not anti any vendor. I am pro engineering.

Last edited:
I've run all sorts of things from multiple generators over the years, some very very cheap. Anything with a switching power supply "just works". RPMs drop because the fridge kicked on and HZ goes down to 55? Works. Sinewave noisy from bad power factor on an AC unit? works. Voltage drops all the way to 100v? works. Wallwarts up to 1000W power supplies for PCs. Whats given me some of the most trouble? UPSes kicking back to battery when the HZ goes to high or low. Also trying to run things from a "MSW" inverter.
Not all things work this way. I've got load shed devices on my home that are designed to prevent what you're describing above. Below 56 Hz? Load shed. Below 110V? Load shed. Prevents bigger issues.

I expect some devices to have some sensitivity, like the UPS you mentioned. It doesn't surprise me that inverters can be sensitive.

Different devices have different sensitivies and requirements. All I ask for as a consumer is that those sensitivities / limitations are disclosed up front.

I am not anti any vendor. I am pro engineering.
I love this. But as an engineer, I want to be allowed to pick the product, price point, and efficiency that meets the needs of the application. More info is better! I do not expect a $1k product to behave like a $5k product, but I'd like to know the differences.

Precisely, could not have said it any better, even if I tried.

Ok, I think this issue is with setting #3, where my EG4 is not giving me the option to select "GNE" as an AC generator power source. The reason I say this is that I also have a Growatt 3000W AIO and this unit behaves the same as the EG4 in that it will not charge with a generator.... with the exception that the Growatt does have the option "GNE" as an AC power source, and when all settings are equal, the Growatt will charge and only charge when I select "GNE" as AC power source on the Growatt

So, I guess the real question is why my EG4 does not give me this option despite the manual indicating this option should be there.

I'm I missing the obvious? Is there another setting on the EG4 what would see this "GNE" option being hidden?

1680876082874-png.143539

Oct 21, 2023
Update on Setting 03, the GNT option via new firware: Successful generator charging.

After I installed the new firmware, the GNT option for setting 03 appeared and the generator was able to charge the batteries.

(The generator didn't charge the batteries before the firmware upgrade) the generator is an older Briggs Stratton model 030676, 3500watt non-inverter generator, and I did purposely turn off the main disconnect at the output load center, because I didnt want the house loads to interfere with the test, so take note of this. This isnt a problem for how this system is sized (infrequently needed).

On my personal 3000EHV 48 system v2, I run a honda 2200 eu straight into my 3000EHV 48 and it works fine, without having to upload a new firmware. I have 2 Lifepower 48-100's. I have tested this same charging setup with 3 Lifepower4 batteries and it does not work. I should also add that My loads are small so this charging setup may not work with larger loads (I leave my loads connected while charging). No need for a chargeverter for small systems.

Last edited:
Signature solar sent me a firmware update for the 3000EHV 48 that supposedly adds the GNT option, as shown above, but for a variety of reasons I have had no luck loading the firmware - I have asked them for documentation regarding the firmware upload process but have no reply, maybe it doesnt exist. I want to get the GNT option so that my clients can run non-inverter generators. Personally, I run a honda 2200 eu straight into my 3000EHV 48 and it works fine, I have 2 Lifepower 48-100's. I have tested this same charging setup with 3 Lifepower4 batteries and it does not work. I should also add that My loads are small so this charging setup may not work for larger loads. Has anyone been successful getting the GNT option installed via firmware update? Please let us know if you have. Peace!
Successful Firmware update today - and new GNT option showing on Setting 03:

Summary Notes:

I got the GNT (dirty generator) option on program Setting 03 by updating the firmware on the 3000EHV 48.

1. I Had to manually install the USB/serial port drivers with the PL23xx driver, provided to me by signature solar tech support.
2. I used the PC to EHV cable they mailed to me (flat cable, see attached pic).
3. I Used this firmware file they emailed to me: 1600_B0230629a1.udt
4. Checked the firmware version on EHV screen after update: update success and GNT option is now under Setting 03..

Firmware version before update:
221 01 4A1
Firmware version after update:
230 62 9A1

Model number before update:
16 00 02
Model number after update:
16 00 60

Hope this helps someone - So far I really love the 3000EHV and have had very good results with many different setups..

Attachments

• flatCabl.jpg
    flatCabl.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back