diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 48 volt battery charger

The picture of my solar assistant cart. This is of my victron 712 battery monitor viewed on solar assistant. This is with my EG for battery charger plugged in to my lead acid battery Bank. There's no other input and about 17 watts draw. Charges at 250 Watts for a while and then jumps up to 900 watts. It stays at 900 watts never anymore. This is about a half hours worth of the charger being plugged in. It's only about 17 amps. This is plugged another 120 wall socket on grid power with plenty of volts amps supplied. Definitely not the input voltage that's reducing the output.
When I talk to signature solar about this. They had me send it in to them. When they received it they seen they change the clamps to an Anderson plug. And refused to test it. They said I voided the warranty. Luckily they sent it back. How do you think I feel about buying $10,000 worth of eg4 batteries through them now. How do you think I feel about the warranty if I have problems with my 12k Growatt inverter I bought through them. If I have issues are they going to help at all. And I did have a problem with that inverter faulting out and restarting for no reason. Did a firmware update to fix it. Signature solar was no help at all. Somebody on this forum help me.
Signature solars prices are good. But once you bought it it's yours.

Attachments

• 20211230_182157.jpg
    20211230_182157.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211230_182146.jpg
    20211230_182146.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 9
The picture of my solar assistant cart. This is of my victron 712 battery monitor viewed on solar assistant. This is with my EG for battery charger plugged in to my lead acid battery Bank. There's no other input and about 17 watts draw. Charges at 250 Watts for a while and then jumps up to 900 watts. It stays at 900 watts never anymore. This is about a half hours worth of the charger being plugged in. It's only about 17 amps. This is plugged another 120 wall socket on grid power with plenty of volts amps supplied. Definitely not the input voltage that's reducing the output.
When I talk to signature solar about this. They had me send it in to them. When they received it they seen they change the clamps to an Anderson plug. And refused to test it. They said I voided the warranty. Luckily they sent it back. How do you think I feel about buying $10,000 worth of eg4 batteries through them now. How do you think I feel about the warranty if I have problems with my 12k Growatt inverter I bought through them. If I have issues are they going to help at all. And I did have a problem with that inverter faulting out and restarting for no reason. Did a firmware update to fix it. Signature solar was no help at all. Somebody on this forum help me.
Oh good gravy I don’t like this post at all. I have 12k $$$ in batterie,rack,charger and mini split in transit as I type.

-If you have a charger putting out less than 25A we'd like to know and make it right, but there may be a Lead acid problem here as the charger is designed for LIFEPO4 only and has an algorithm to match and respond to that chemistry
-Voiding Warranty due to connecter change is against company policy.
-Signature Solar posted the video and firmware to update the 12kw inverter, our tech team has walked a lot of people through upgrades of firmware.

It sounds like there may be some confusion involved and service quality failures on our side as well, please call back in or email your order number and dissatisfaction to tech@signaturesolar.us and the team would gladly have a second look

Reactions: TEV
Oh good gravy I don’t like this post at all. I have 12k $$$ in batterie,rack,charger and mini split in transit as I type.
Hopefully you can see here that we are engaged and committed to doing the right thing sir. These situations are not cut-and dried, but we are putting in the effort to mature a growing support team and provide the support that we would want to have in any cases.

I'm already regretting my 7k$ + investment with them. The battery mounting rack that doesn't even securely hold battery modules because the tab holes don't align, the manual that is wrong- misleading on multiple fronts (dip switch settings, module grounding screws, battery SOC on arrival) tech support that can't tell me after 5 days why my brand new batteries run light indicates they are discharging when there is nothing even connected to the terminals, much less why they won't power up my xw6848. No pos/ground cables included, batteries came 25% charged (not 50% or 75% that the manual erroneously states on pg 17) one battery even came with a giant scratch on top of the case that they covered with a sharpie and packaged right up. Purely cosmetic and I would never have given it a second thought had the batteries actually worked.

All that being said, I know tech guys at Signature Solar are nice, good people who are trying, but after 5 days, they can't even answer the run light issue for me and trying to make contact with them is not easy. I do understand we are in the middle of a holiday so i expect answers to take longer than usual. I really want to like these guys and fully support what they are doing. Heck, they are my neighbors! But something seems fishy to me and I can't figure it out.

I feel like i have defective batteries due to a bms issue but nobody really wants say that. I could be completely wrong about that, but the input i have received from some pretty knowledgeable folks here suggest it and it just makes sense. I keep hearing that they are talking with the EE at the battery manufacturer, but they have yet to tell me anything that helps. One of their suggestions was directly contradicted by Schneider techs and I was told that their instructions would likely instantly fry the capacitors, leaving my inverter non-functioning and in need of repair. That's not an option for my family as we are 100% off grid with no grid backup.

And now they are offering 33% off to customers who purchase an eg4 battery. I paid full price for two 48v chargers when I ordered the batteries two months ago. Last monday, when i picked up my batteries, I asked the front desk about maybe getting them to honor that and she looked at me like i was crazy. Frustrating....

Last edited:
Another issue both my battery chargers have is the charge indicator light never shows the yellow 80% light. I unboxed all four of my eg4's and found the soc light to show between 25 and 50%. I hooked up chargers to them and they each took about 2 hours and 45 minutes to reach 100%. Even as the soc meter on the battery modules said 75%+, the charger never did. It has an indicator for 80%+ but it never lit up. Just went from red to green when the batteries were fully charged.

Last edited:
koldsimer, got there attention?

"These situations are not cut-and dried, but we are putting in the effort to mature a growing support team and provide the support that we would want to have in any cases."

I'm already regretting my 7k$ + investment with them. The battery mounting rack that doesn't even securely hold battery modules because the tab holes don't align, the manual that is wrong- misleading on multiple fronts (dip switch settings, module grounding screws, battery SOC on arrival) tech support that can't tell me after 5 days why my brand new batteries run light indicates they are discharging when there is nothing even connected to the terminals, much less why they won't power up my xw6848. No pos/ground cables included, batteries came 25% charged (not 50% or 75% that the manual erroneously states on pg 17) one battery even came with a giant scratch on top of the case that they covered with a sharpie and packaged right up. Purely cosmetic and I would never have given it a second thought had the batteries actually worked.

All that being said, I know tech guys at Signature Solar are nice, good people who are trying, but after 5 days, they can't even answer the run light issue for me and trying to make contact with them is not easy. I do understand we are in the middle of a holiday so i expect answers to take longer than usual. I really want to like these guys and fully support what they are doing. Heck, they are my neighbors! But something seems fishy to me and I can't figure it out.

I feel like i have defective batteries due to a bms issue but nobody really wants say that. I could be completely wrong about that, but the input i have received from some pretty knowledgeable folks here suggest it and it just makes sense. I keep hearing that they are talking with the EE at the battery manufacturer, but they have yet to tell me anything that helps. One of their suggestions was directly contradicted by Schneider techs and I was told that their instructions would likely instantly fry the capacitors, leaving my inverter non-functioning and in need of repair. That's not an option for my family as we are 100% off grid with no grid backup.

And now they are offering 33% off to customers who purchase an eg4 battery. I paid full price for two 48v chargers when I ordered the batteries two months ago. Last monday, when i picked up my batteries, I asked the front desk about maybe getting them to honor that and she looked at me like i was crazy. Frustrating....
Are you changing all neccessary settings on your Schneider when you swap back and forth between the two types of batteries? Have you verified the correct settings with their tech? I just read the manual and it's not uhh, lay customer friendly as compared to MPP and Growatt. The multiple failures on so many devices, unless your shipment was struck by lightening, is amazing. I have watched a number of videos on these batteries and I don't think anyone has mentioned the manual being wrong about any settings. Including Will's videos, if there are please post the link. The discharging, could that be cells balancing, have you left them turned on for a day or so to see if any of these behaviors change? My batteries from BestGo took a number of discharge/charge cycles to act normally, I spent a lot of time emailing back and forth, they even sent me BMS's that I replaced with no change. I'm watching to see how this gets resolved because I was going to buy these batteries for another house.

Last edited:
Yea I’m really not liking this post at all now. But! I’m keeping an open mind and still can’t wait to pick mine up on Tuesday. Things happen maybe a fluke? I really researched these a lot. Other then one guy i found having a problem with a BMS everyone loves them.

Are you changing all neccessary settings on your Schneider when you swap back and forth between the two types of batteries? Have you verified the correct settings with their tech? I just read the manual and it's not uhh, lay customer friendly as compared to MPP and Growatt. The multiple failures on so many devices, unless your shipment was struck by lightening, is amazing. I have watched a number of videos on these batteries and I don't think anyone has mentioned the manual being wrong about any settings. Including Will's videos, if there are please post the link. The discharging, could that be cells balancing, have you left them turned on for a day or so to see if any of these behaviors change? My batteries from BestGo took a number of discharge/charge cycles to act normally, I spent a lot of time emailing back and forth, they even sent me BMS's that I replaced with no change. I'm watching to see how this gets resolved because I was going to buy these batteries for another house.
Yeah' i've tried pretty much everything on my end. There is a separate thread in the off grid inverters section of this forum that details all I have been through to try and get these batteries to work.

Here's a few examples of errors in the manual-
1)The dip switch settings are listed as off is up and down is on. My battery is the exact opposite according to the dip switches on the module.
2)Installation instructions tell you to ground modules together with provided grounding screw on the front of the mudules. These batteries don't have a grounding screw on the front panel.
3)Pg 17 says batteries come charged at 75%, then it says 50%. It was neither. More like 25%.

These are all minor details that I can work around.... IF MY BATTERIES ACTUALLY WORKED!

Fact is, tech support at Signature Solar still can't tell me why my batteries run light is blinking every 2.4 seconds, indicating the batteries are discharging according to the manual, even with nothing connected to the terminals. All 4 batteries do the same thing.

I even suggested that maybe they go out to the warehouse and see if the other new eg4 batteries are doing the same thing and if they are having any connectivity issues with them. Haven't heard a thing on that front.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    124.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    127.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    175.8 KB · Views: 12
Yea I’m really not liking this post at all now. But! I’m keeping an open mind and still can’t wait to pick mine up on Tuesday. Things happen maybe a fluke? I really researched these a lot. Other then one guy i found having a problem with a BMS everyone loves them.
Maybe you will have better luck than me. I would suggest making sure you open the box and make sure the batteries say they are in standby and ready for use when you flip the breaker. The run light should be steady green, not blinking. Maybe you will be lucky enough to have power cables included! When i picked mine up, the warehouse guy gave me a little pack with the usb device and the connections for battery communication and I asked him about the power/ground cables. He said they were in the box. Surprise, no cables when I got home!

Yeah' i've tried pretty much everything on my end. There is a separate thread in the off grid inverters section of this forum that details all I have been through to try and get these batteries to work.

Here's a few examples of errors in the manual-
1)The dip switch settings are listed as off is up and down is on. My battery is the exact opposite according to the dip switches on the module.
2)Installation instructions tell you to ground modules together with provided grounding screw on the front of the mudules. These batteries don't have a grounding screw on the front panel.
3)Pg 17 says batteries come charged at 75%, then it says 50%. It was neither. More like 25%.

These are all minor details that I can work around.... IF MY BATTERIES ACTUALLY WORKED!

Fact is, tech support at Signature Solar still can't tell me why my batteries run light is blinking every 2.4 seconds, indicating the batteries are discharging according to the manual, even with nothing connected to the terminals. All 4 batteries do the same thing.

I even suggested that maybe they go out to the warehouse and see if the other new eg4 batteries are doing the same thing and if they are having any connectivity issues with them. Haven't heard a thing on that front.
Hello, they are always flashing run, they always will if you see voltage output. We have more than a warehouse, we have an entire test facility and there is no need for someone to “go out into the warehouse to see” you can video call the bench if you’d like.
SOC shipped fluctuated due to the long transport times.
Please go ahead and actually use the batteries and then let us know if you have any problems :)
Our team is maturing and it seems the person who talked to you was not as effective at explaining this to you sir.

Hello, they are always flashing run, they always will if you see voltage output. We have more than a warehouse, we have an entire test facility and there is no need for someone to “go out into the warehouse to see” you can video call the bench if you’d like.
Please go ahead and actually use the batteries and then let us know if you have any problems :)
Our team is maturing and it seems the person who talked to you was not as effective at explaining this to you sir.
Please check with Matt and Michael. Please read my thread in the off grid inverters section of this forum to see what lengths I have gone to in an effort to use the batteries. You obviously don't know my situation and what I have dealt with over the last 5 days.

"please go ahead and actually use the batteries" Is this a joke?

According to both Matt and Michael and the manual, when there is no load on the battery (terminals disconnected) and the battery is on, the run light should be solid green indicating standby mode, not flashing once every 2.4 seconds, indicating the battery is discharging. They both said that is a problem. He said they are waiting to hear from the EE at the battery manufacturer as to why the light is not accurate.

My request to open a new battery at the warehouse was an effort to narrow things down and see if all of the batteries in that shipment were having a similar issue.

According to both Matt and Michael and the manual, when there is no load on the battery (terminals disconnected) and the battery is on, the run light should be solid green indicating standby mode, not flashing once every 2.4 seconds, indicating the battery is discharging. They both said that is a problem. He said they are waiting to hear from the EE at the battery manufacturer as to why the light is not accurate.

My request to open a new battery at the warehouse was an effort to narrow things down and see if all of the batteries in that shipment were having a similar issue.
There is a delay before the battery determines it is on standby. We rotate batteries in from new batches, this is a perfectly reasonable question but ultimately benign for operation. On my own packs I have seen them settle down over a few hours if I turn everything off. If we can clarify exact time delay and parameters we will let you guys know. You can connect the PC (or lcd if you have that version) and see for yourself that the amps output is 0.
I will have my EE team respond to this thread next week as well

There is a delay before the battery determines it is on standby. We rotate batteries in from new batches, this is a perfectly reasonable question but ultimately benign for operation. On my own packs I have seen them settle down over a few hours if I turn everything off. If we can clarify exact time delay and parameters we will let you guys know. You can connect the PC (or lcd if you have that version) and see for yourself that the amps output is 0.
I will have my EE team respond to this thread next week as well
Your EE's were concerned enough that the run light issue was a problem that we spent 3 hours on the phone, ultimately having me take a video of exactly what the batteries were doing and now you're saying it's a benign issue and I should let my batteries settle down?

I've got a 15 message email chain with your tech matt over the last few days detailing all of this.

I'm done for now.

All i want is for these batteries to work. Not to go back and forth like this on this forum

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    127.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OK Guys, I am going to post this on another thread for a full explanation.

There is a confusion going on here, we thought this was the GYLL/ EGYLL pack, the Lifepower4 packs have a different logic on the LEDs and I realized that our manual for them has the wrong tables for LED operation

The LIFEPOWER4 pack manual has been updated

@Koldsimer We apologize for this mistake and will keep working to weed out these issues, pls send us your email on a DM and we will do something to make this right

1641182376376.png
1641182420715.png

Back