diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 48v 18ah battery charger is tripping 6500 Predator generator.

Atomicly

I'm using the alligator clips provided with the charger to the main positive and negative of the battery pack. The charger is plugged into an extension cord connected to the 120v, 20amp outlet of the generator.
When I start the generator, the charger will trip the breaker after a minute. When I reset it, the charger will run for around 10-20 minutes until it trips the breaker again.
The max input current the charger uses is 16 amps, so it is weird that it trips a 20 amp outlet.

Charger: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-battery-charger-48v-18a-1/

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm using the alligator clips provided with the charger to the main positive and negative of the battery pack. The charger is plugged into an extension cord connected to the 120v, 20amp outlet of the generator.
When I start the generator, the charger will trip the breaker after a minute. When I reset it, the charger will run for around 10-20 minutes until it trips the breaker again.
The max input current the charger uses is 16 amps, so it is weird that it trips a 20 amp outlet.

Charger: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-battery-charger-48v-18a-1/

Any help would be appreciated!
When you say extension cord, can you elaborate on that. Size, length, etc.

Do you have one of these or similar?

Does the charger have a nema 5-15 plug or 5-20 plug?

Since its pulling 16 amps it should be 5-20.
Also I wonder how bad the power factor is.
The kill a watt should indicate the power factor.
I don't have a watt meter, probably should get one though.

The charger has a nema 5-15, which come to think of it, it's weird that it isn't 5-20.

The power factor that it is rated at is 0.98 or greater.

I don't have a watt meter, probably should get one though.

The charger has a nema 5-15, which come to think of it, it's weird that it isn't 5-20.

The power factor that it is rated at is 0.98 or greater.
Frankly I'm skeptical of that pf rating.

I think I'll need to get a watt-meter to give you guys more info.
After looking around, you're likely having issues due to the size of your extension cord. You have as much as a 5% voltage drop with a cord that size. My thought would be that if you go to a shorter, bigger cable you should see an immediate difference.

After looking around, you're likely having issues due to the size of your extension cord. You have as much as a 5% voltage drop with a cord that size. My thought would be that if you go to a shorter, bigger cable you should see an immediate difference.
That makes sense! I'll try it out sometime.

When you say extension cord, can you elaborate on that. Size, length, etc.
What is the full published spec of this charger?
Where can we download full spec of the unit?
What is the AC input range of the charger?
Does it show any de-rating graph based on input Voltage, temperature, since the lower the AC input Voltage the higher the AC input current will be pulling for regulated PS?
Good power supply should supply the full spec.

1671743764863.png

Last edited:
What is the full published spec of this charger?
Where can we download full spec of the unit?
What is the AC input range of the charger?

How did you determine that it pulls 16 amps@120VAC?

Here is my napkin math.
18 amps @ 55.2VDC = 993.6 dc watts
993.6 dc watts / .75 conversion efficiency = 1324.8 ac watts
1324.8 ac watts / 120VAC = 11.04 amps

I think we need to eliminate the current setup as the issue. Do you have any other load you can put on that extension cord? Like an electric space heater? Microwave?

Just curious, but is that something that you typically see in other battery charger manuals? I checked Dakota Lithium for comparison and there is even less information there.
Good manufacturers will provide detail spec, so why do you want to be the same or worst than the one you compare it too?
I do not even see the AC input current in your spec. Is this unit UL approved? I am curious as to where OP get the 16A input current from since it is not published in your manual.
According to your manual claiming 95% efficiency, then the input current cannot be 16A.

1671746417069.png

Last edited:
I think we need to eliminate the current setup as the issue. Do you have any other load you can put on that extension cord? Like an electric space heater? Microwave?

It's just the charger that is running on the 20A outlet.

Back