diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 48v 18ah battery charger is tripping 6500 Predator generator.

Do you have the same charger as OP?
What is the charging current when you see 9A on the AC side?

Yes the same charger. Pics below. I do not have a DC clamp meter yet. But I will by next weekend. I'll post an update then. I also have to pull a pack for top balance later this week. I can probably hook it up directly to that single pack to see what the BMS reports.

20221225_201826.jpg

20221225_201832.jpg

20221225_201908.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry for the wait, I tested my charger with a shorter cable and it seems to be working fine!

Thanks for all the help!
So did you get the meter to find out what the current draw and the Voltage at the outlet end of the long and short extension cords are?

I can confirm a few things. Though not a clamp meter reading my generator shows a 2.6KW load with two of these chargers doing full blast charging. That would put their individual load at about 1.3KW as calculated earlier in the thread. So around 11A current draw per charger. I kinda doubt the output current too just based on the time it takes to charge back my typical 1.2 to 1.6KWH of use in my little cabin. It's taking about 1.5hrs typically to see both chargers turn green. Could also just be the difficulty in getting that last 10 or 15% into the battery though.

Adding I found out about this sweet gem from another thread. I'm going to buy one of these at some point for sure.

I spoke with them and steered away. The motor is made in China proprietary to them. I was worried 10 years down the road you need some parts and they are out of business. I’ve already have that problem with Magnum Energy.

If you want to keep the 100' cord, adapt it to the 240V out from the generator for the chargers but clearly mark everything.

I spoke with them and steered away. The motor is made in China proprietary to them. I was worried 10 years down the road you need some parts and they are out of business. I’ve already have that problem with Magnum Energy.
FWIW they have been around for longer than a decade, and I know one other person with their generator that has worked great.

Back