diy solar

diy solar

EG4 48v 3k Inverter throwing fault code 6P immediately on power up

Levbuzz

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why an EG4 3k invertor is immediately throwing a 6P fault code, meaning "output voltage is too high". Use is strictly off-grid/backup power not connected to AC input voltage. So far I have 1 Lifepower48v 5.12kwh battery and currently for test purposes 4 SunPower 327w panels. There is zero load on the 120ac output side but the system thinks the output is too high. This is what I gather, I may be wrong. I went though programming twice to make sure all settings were correct. Id apprciate any thoughts or suggestions as I'm new to solar

"output voltage too high" in reference to ac output to loads or dc output to batteries?

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm not sure what voltage is referenced as the manual doesn't state whether AC or DC. Also, the input voltage seems stuck on AC even though the software is set for solar only with 1300w PV input power plugged in, around 245vdc present. It seems this inverter wants to see AC input voltage, regardless of whether its used or not as an input source. When I tested originally, I did have the inverter plugged into a wall outlet and showed input power as PV which is correct. After removing the AC input power, the inverter throws error fault 6P and doesn't show PV input power at all. There is no load on the inverter as nothing is plugged in. I don't think the battery is even charging

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-09 141715.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-09 141715.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm not sure what voltage is referenced as the manual doesn't state whether AC or DC. Also, the input voltage seems stuck on AC even though the software is set for solar only with 1300w PV input power plugged in, around 245vdc present. It seems this inverter wants to see AC input voltage, regardless of whether its used or not as an input source. When I tested originally, I did have the inverter plugged into a wall outlet and showed input power as PV which is correct. After removing the AC input power, the inverter throws error fault 6P and doesn't show PV input power at all. There is no load on the inverter as nothing is plugged in. I don't think the battery is even charging
make sure you're powering everything up in the right sequence. First turn on the battery and let it pre-charge and stabilize, then turn on the PV input and then power up the inverter.

Thanks Shopman, this is the exact sequence I used when powering up. Turned battery on, let sit for 60 seconds, next I switched on the solar disconnector and that's when the inverter immediately throws fault 6P. I then powered up the invertor and let idle for 10 minutes, never switches to PV input, its stuck on AC input and the result is no battery charging ability, inverter set for PV input only. I'm using 4 327w panels in series, I saw in the EG4 manual that a minimum of 6 panels be used. I'll connect 2 more panels tomorrow and see if anything changes

Not an expert with the growatt stuff but any inverter will at least need to be powered on for the batteries pre-charge function to work properly. It is trying to charge the capacitors in the inverter after all.

Problem resolved: I realized my mistake last night. I failed to turn on the 125a circuit breaker to the battery so the output current from the charge controller had no where to go, probably caused the 6P fault code. Also, I had the load side of the circuit breaker facing the battery not the inverter which is what I'm trying to protect. This was just a temporary setup to test all the components, everything is working as expected now. Thanks for everyone thoughts, hopefully this post helps someone else!

Attachments

• 20220710_113440.jpg
    20220710_113440.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 19
Since the EG4 inverter included the 125a circuit breaker, I decided to give it a try, but I'll use a T class fuse when I get my second battery installed. Pretty happy so far, the battery charged from 60-100% in 1.5 hours, ran various loads to test capability in 110 heat and no issues encountered. The sole reason for the purchase is to have some backup power in the event power/grid is lost to power a refrigerator, computers/internet, some led lights, box fans and small 120v window AC unit.

Since the EG4 inverter included the 125a circuit breaker, I decided to give it a try, but I'll use a T class fuse when I get my second battery installed. Pretty happy so far, the battery charged from 60-100% in 1.5 hours, ran various loads to test capability in 110 heat and no issues encountered. The sole reason for the purchase is to have some backup power in the event power/grid is lost to power a refrigerator, computers/internet, some led lights, box fans and small 120v window AC unit.
Since the subject was brought up, do you have the ac unit yet, have you researched which units are more efficient?

Back