diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6000 120/240 "split phase" generator backup

Kaiser57

I bought EG4 6000 120/240 inverter and 3 EG4 48v batteries and all components from signature solar. Winter hit to fast for me to get my panels up on our new offgrid build. I'm wanting to connect one of my generators to the AC input to charge the batteries through the inverter. In the manual it says the generator must be a split phase generator. I have a Honda EU2000i 120v and a Honda EU3000i which is 240v.

I find the term split phase confusing lol. Do they mean 240v? I understand that 240v phases need to be 180 degrees offset from each other but to me that reads as a regular single phase 240v supply is what's required by the inverter no different then grid supplied 240v. So what exactly is split phase?

If anyone can enlighten me that'd be greatly appreciated. Wanna make sure I do this correctly. Thnx in advance!

Use the 3000i, L1 to one leg, L2 to the other (don't forget the N and G).
Remember to reduce the charging amp setting to a minimum and ramp up slowly.

A regular 240v single phase supply, from your generator or the grid, is split phase power. Think of a coil producing 240v single phase power. That coil being "split" in the middle by the neutral, creating 120v from L1 to N and 120v from N to L2. The 120v power legs are 180 degrees apart because the N in in the middle. To get to the hot ends from the neutral you travel in 180 degree (opposite) directions. That's how 240v single phase becomes 120/240v split phase.

One thing to be sure to locate on any 240v split phase power supply is the Neutral. If the outlet is 240v and does not have a neutral, it may not be split phase. If the outlet is connected to the grid, it probably is, but coming from another source it may not be.

A regular 240v single phase supply, from your generator or the grid, is split phase power. Think of a coil producing 240v single phase power. That coil being "split" in the middle by the neutral, creating 120v from L1 to N and 120v from N to L2. The 120v power legs are 180 degrees apart because the N in in the middle. To get to the hot ends from the neutral you travel in 180 degree (opposite) directions. That's how 240v single phase becomes 120/240v split phase.

One thing to be sure to locate on any 240v split phase power supply is the Neutral. If the outlet is 240v and does not have a neutral, it may not be split phase. If the outlet is connected to the grid, it probably is, but coming from another source it may not be.
That's what I thought...the wording split phase just confused me...never heard it described that way before. Thanks for your explanation...totally makes sense!

Use the 3000i, L1 to one leg, L2 to the other (don't forget the N and G).
Remember to reduce the charging amp setting to a minimum and ramp up slowly.
Thank you kindly sir! I don't feel like electrocuting myself so I'll be sure to hook it up properly lol! Also thanks for the charging amp tip, first large setup for me so have lots to learn about the higher tech components ?

Last edited:
Back