diy solar

diy solar

eg4 6000 and transfers switches....

SolarScott

Solar Enthusiast
Trying to figure the best way to configure my system. I plan to have two transfers switches installed at my meter base....one that is between the meter and my main panel to my house. One that will go between my meter and the outdoor 200 amp panel that feeds my 5 ton heat pump. If I take my ac input to my inverters from the panel running my heat pump and leave the other transfer switch thrown to remove it from grid and have it use my solar out put, I believe the eg4 6000 can be set up to deliver all the solar and battery available and then make up the difference from grid. Signature Solar tells me that there is no possibility that this set up will back feed the grid. My only concern with this is that the transfer switch only switches the two hot leads, with an un-switched neutral. Also by doing it this way, if I am demanding more power than the inverters can handle I could run some of the higher loads from the 200 amp heat pump panel so they would be grid fed. Am I on the right track? Currently only have two EG4lifepower 48 volt 100amp hour batteries, two EG4 6000's, 24 455 watt bifacial Canadian Solar panels. I realize I will most likely need two or more batteries as money allows and maybe another inverter. Ideas?

I think it should work this way, but have you priced two 200amp transfer switches?

Something I probably should have investigated further....thanks for the advice.

I am late to the party, but to make sure that I understand correctly, you have two separate 200A connections coming out of your meter? One runs to the house main panel, and the second runs to an outdoor panel that is running your 5 ton heat pump? Is there anything else powered by that outdoor panel?

I am late to the party, but to make sure that I understand correctly, you have two separate 200A connections coming out of your meter? One runs to the house main panel, and the second runs to an outdoor panel that is running your 5 ton heat pump? Is there anything else powered by that outdoor panel?
Yes, from the meter base to my main panel, original to the house when built. I had a heat pump installed and the electrician came out of the same meter base to a new panel a few feet from the base where my heat pump sits. I want to be able to isolate the heat pump and the house main so I can see exactly what I am able to run. Some of my larger loads could be added to the heat pump panel and leave my critical loads like refrigerator, lights, house well on the main panel. I am getting close to being finished with this project....I am busy stripping cotton right now....maybe in a week or so I will be up and running....

with that config and your desire to isolate critical loads, two transfer switches is the way to go. good luck on the project!

Back