diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX-48V paired with EG4 LL 100AH battery practical use

@Yup

Nope.

Always spendy. Always.
I just wish I had a little more patience with my spending.. or at least knew Signature Solar was going to start selling the 48/3000 MP II for about $200 less than everyone else and less than the price of the 6000ex.. Oh well. At least we can hope that the EG4 batteries will have improved communications with Victron equipment in the future

Yes. It will pull from the grid. It will be roughly 6-10% less idle draw in Utility mode than with the batteries.
So it would make more financial sense to purchase a transfer switch like BartHenry shared? If the inverter still draws 100w at pass through state any time my PV system and batteries are ineffective I would be paying to run the inverter. I'm thinking when there is a few days of rain in the winter or something of the sort I would see a significant change in my power bill.

If I go ahead and buy another 48v 100ah battery what can I practically get from that? My house consumes roughly 1100kWh per month. I am not trying to offset all of that but like stated before separate out a few small loaded circuits refrigerator, light circuits, etc. What is a reasonable expectation for this system?

Thanks

am not trying to offset all of that but like stated before separate out a few small loaded circuits refrigerator, light circuits, etc. What is a reasonable expectation for this system?
Your best return on investment is to actually supply as many of your high power devices from solar not the piddle shit stuff, too lossy.

So it would make more financial sense to purchase a transfer switch like BartHenry shared? If the inverter still draws 100w at pass through state any time my PV system and batteries are ineffective I would be paying to run the inverter. I'm thinking when there is a few days of rain in the winter or something of the sort I would see a significant change in my power bill.

If I go ahead and buy another 48v 100ah battery what can I practically get from that? My house consumes roughly 1100kWh per month. I am not trying to offset all of that but like stated before separate out a few small loaded circuits refrigerator, light circuits, etc. What is a reasonable expectation for this system?

Thanks
Adding 1 more battery will only increase the run time on stuff you already have connected to your inverter. I started with a SENSE home monitor, and let run for a few months, so i could see what my loads were. Then I took that info and sized my system accordingly.
EDIT
The only reason I use the transfer switch is to be able to shutdown one system and not loose power. With ac pass through, I couldn't do that.

Last edited:
Back