diy solar

diy solar

EG4-6000EX vs EG4-6500ex on 5th wheel? How would you configure it?

doggiedaddy1

I tried asking this on Facebook, but no one seemed to understand what I wanted. Looking for configuration solutions:
30amp RV. Converter/Charger went out. So upgrading to 50amp. Not because I need 220v, but want more breaker space/amps available. Future upgrades.
2 battery 12v bank on the power distribution panel. 48v on solar. EG4-6000ex vs EG4-6500ex.
6000ex REQUIRES 240V input from grid or generator. Shore and generator to a transfer switch then to 6000ex. 25a on each leg out. 7500w solar input.
With 6500ex, 27a AC on each leg. No 240v. 8000w solar input. But can't accommodate 240v input. So you get one leg. Which on shore is one generator or 30a RV, or one leg of a 50a RV. Power distribution panel only getting 1 leg hot. Don't want 2 units, they take space. And with 6000ex you don't have a choice. So if one leg is all that available you're screwed unless you bypass the unit.
What would you do?

I would go with the 240v option.
It will be a more balanced system, even if you rarely use 240v. And more compatible with your other equipment.

I would go with the 240v option.
It will be a more balanced system, even if you rarely use 240v. And more compatible with your other equipment.
The concerns I had about that were 1.) Only a single MPPT with less total amps input. 2. ) Generator or grid input to it MUST be 240v. That means either parallel generators running all the time or 50a RV service on shore power. OR shut down the inverter and bypass it if you don't have 240v external available. Thoughts?

1) how much solar will you actually have?
2) an autotransformer could give you 240v from a 120v source.
But I would go with a 240v generator.

1) how much solar will you actually have?
2) an autotransformer could give you 240v from a 120v source.
But I would go with a 240v generator.
240v with 2 120v legs?
1000 watts building to 5400 watts over a 9 month period as I add each section. Possibly more in the future.

Do you have a link to the one you used?
I don't use that type of generator.
But there's lots of options out there.
Just find one that fits where you need it to fit. Runs on the fuel of your choice. And provides enough power for your needs.

I don't use that type of generator.
But there's lots of options out there.
Just find one that fits where you need it to fit. Runs on the fuel of your choice. And provides enough power for your needs.
I thought you were referring to the transformer. I would never by a 240v generator, not reply on it other than backup. I'm talking about using the 6500ex to power the 50amp control panel. It isn't an issue of getting 240v in, it's being able to accept and work with the available options. 6500ex will provide 2 single phase 120v. Split combined to 240v not an option with that unit.
How do I power a 50amp PDP? It's intended to be split phase.
If I'm running a generator... Well it's either 30amp or two units in parallel for 50 amp. The 30 can go into the 6500ex. But not the 50. Same with shore power.

Ok
Let's forget about what I would do. And go with what is usually done when there isn't an inverter in the mix.
Your PDP is able to accept the 240v/120v 50a shore power. Or a 120v 30a shore power (with adapter).
Either setup can be powered by a generator with the respective output. If you use the 120v only inverter. You could simplify things by using the same power inlet and outlet as the 120v adapter. At the location where you normally store the shore power cord. You can install a receptacle fed from the inverter. And a separate "shore power cord" for the input to the inverter. This way you can use the inverter to power the PDP (120v ). And use shore power or generator to power PDP through the inverter. And if 240v shore power is available, you can just power the PDP directly. Usually if the 240v 50a shore power is available, the 120v 30a will also be. So you can use the second cord to feed the inverter for battery charging. This gives you a lot of options, depending on what power is available at each location.

I like that solution. Only requires a switch to run power either through or bypass the inverter. That let's me run shore at 50a or 30a and same for generators. A marine power in Port beside the inverter and can use a drop cord to power the inverter additionally.
Since at the current time the plan is to run everything 120v, no 240v appliances I should be able to use the second 120v leg of the inverter to power the other side of the pdp. I just wouldn't be able to pull 240v from the inverter without modifications. Hmmm.

I like that solution. Only requires a switch to run power either through or bypass the inverter. That let's me run shore at 50a or 30a and same for generators. A marine power in Port beside the inverter and can use a drop cord to power the inverter additionally.
Since at the current time the plan is to run everything 120v, no 240v appliances I should be able to use the second 120v leg of the inverter to power the other side of the pdp. I just wouldn't be able to pull 240v from the inverter without modifications. Hmmm.
I didn't say a switch, because you have to be very careful how it's wired. With a receptacle, you remove the possibility of someone doing it wrong.
It's either plugged into the inverter (with the adapter). Or it's plugged into shore/generator (With or without adapter).

Auto transfer switch. Same as standard in a lot of RV's. Will did a video on setting them up.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. It absolutely can.
Just didn't know if you were the only person who was going to be operating the system. Just double check for backfeed chances in all possible scenarios.

I know this is a little late in responding to your post, but would like to hear what you decided. I have looked at the EG4 inverters and almost made the mistake of getting a 6000/240v inverter. The 6500 grid input is 120VAC and produces 120v single phase 54amp output, (2) can be configured to produce split phase 240v 108amps. The 6000 however is a split phase inverter that will require a split phase 240VAC grid input, that's if you are going to depend on the grid for charging your batteries. And one unit is limited to a total of 50 amps continuous, so you will have to balance the legs on your CB panel as best you can. The other difference that you may not have considered is the PV inputs of the MPPTs. The 6500 requires a minimum of 90VDC, and the 6000 requires a minimum of 120VDC. That would mean you would need more panels on the roof of the RV to actually charge your batteries with a 6000. Both units will work, depending on what you want to do. I don't figure you have any 240v items in your RV (ACs pull the most amperage in the rig and they are 120v). So, if you pick the 6500, you just need to identify which leg the AC units are on if that is what you want to power.

Back