diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 - Error 61 Information Gathering/Solution

Solar Guy Richard

Solar Addict
Hello Everyone!

We've been seeing a few reports of people running into ERROR 61 on the 6500EX from EG4. We have determined that there are two times this error appears during normal operations. For a majority of users who are experiencing this error, we have a simple troubleshooting and fix which I will describe below. For others, we are currently working with the manufacturer on troubleshooting steps/solution currently.

Issue 1: After connecting the inverter to the battery, you either immediately see error 61, or after three minutes error 61 begins. In these instances, we have found so far in troubleshooting with users on the forum, and via email/phone calls that in 100% of the cases it is an issue with the cable that connects the inverter to the battery. When we originally were making the cables, we were only repinning 1 side to match with the other in the correct locations. It seems that for some reason, this causes an issue. We have since begun repinning both sides and only terminating the pins that are used for communications. If you are experiencing this error, and feel comfortable repinning a Cat5 cable, the correct pins are as follows:
Battery -------------------- Inverter
PIN1 -----------------------PIN3
PIN2 -----------------------PIN5

If not, you can contact us and we will send you a new cable with the correct PINS. Additionally - if you are running into this issue, please verify you have the correct end of the cable plugged in on each side. There is only ONE correct way. The side with PINS 1/2 should plug into the battery (look at the clear termination and it will be the one with both the wires to the edge). The side with PINS 3/5 should plug into the inverter (this will be the side with the small wires connected in the middle area of the termination).

Issue 2: In some rare cases, we are seeing some who have fixed the PIN issue (or never had it) and when charging the system is fine. However, when it reaches 100% of charge on the battery and goes into bypass, the system flashes error 61 until the battery discharges below 100%, at which time it goes away. This is an issue that we haven't seen frequently, but we are working to get this isolated and fixed. It's important to note that the inverter and battery are still operational during this issue, it seems to be something with the firmware. As soon as we have a permanent solution, we will update this post or make a new one depending on the circumstances.

If you are currently experiencing either of these issues, please let me know below. I also ask for you to contact Signature Solar to create a ticket - I am doing my best to keep up with the forums but I am getting a lot of PMs a day and messages on forum posts. I will always do everything I can, sometimes that means forwarding the information to another to help. I hope this answers a lot of questions, but if you have anything for me please let me know! Thanks everyone!

For anyone experiencing this issue, please send me an export of your inverter logs for review. There are some instructions in the manual or you can contact technical support to do this.

We are redoing the video on this - there were some discrepancies between testing and what we were being told and we determined that one of the units installed in our system had the old firmware so we want to make sure we are using 1000% the correct stuff to get the most up to date information out there.

We are redoing the video on this - there were some discrepancies between testing and what we were being told and we determined that one of the units installed in our system had the old firmware so we want to make sure we are using 1000% the correct stuff to get the most up to date information out there.
I am having this issue off and on at different times with the batteries no where near 100 soc. Will run fine for a couple of hours and then start the error 61. Sometimes it only flashes a few seconds and seems to correct itself without any intervention. Other times I can unplug the cable and plug it back in and it goes away for an hour or so. Hope you can find out the problem. Have Set both units to user mode for the time being until a definite solution is found.

This might be off topic a little but is anyone experiencing light flickering with the EG4 6500es 48 volt inverters. I am still investigating why sometimes this happens and sometimes not by monitoring load conditions at the time it is happening. Trying figure out a solution for this

This might be off topic a little but is anyone experiencing light flickering with the EG4 6500es 48 volt inverters. I am still investigating why sometimes this happens and sometimes not by monitoring load conditions at the time it is happening. Trying figure out a solution for this

Ok flickering problem was the Edison bulbs that were installed in the flickering light locations. Replace with some quality led bulbs and so far no flickering

Ok just putting this out there. What are your opinions on using user defined setting or the EG4 bms built in. Which do you think is better and why

@Richard/SignatureSolar After reading many similarly titled threads & 6 pages on this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6500ex-and-eg4-lifepower4-intermittent-61-error.41438/page-6 ... I'm pretty clear the conclusions reached by both Zapper_77 & 5275_Dude are compelling. Particularly the 4:36pm comment by Zapper_77's on Oct.24: Grounding to earth isn't the issue... The key point is poorly tightened screws that mount racked batteries lead to dysfunctional common bonding among the batteries which adversely affects the communications between inverter(s) and batteries.

Even Will Prowse (who replied similarly) came to realize some users' needs actually do require batt coms.

Last edited:
I believe Issue #2 best fits my observations where at random times error 61 will flash/beep for a few minutes and then the system returns to normal operation. I have also noted two additional things: 1) this issue is happening more frequently, and 2) The battery charge led seems to flash at all times of the day light hours despite the fact that solar input is significant, power output is minimal and batteries are at or near 100%.

I believe Issue #2 best fits my observations where at random times error 61 will flash/beep for a few minutes and then the system returns to normal operation. I have also noted two additional things: 1) this issue is happening more frequently, and 2) The battery charge led seems to flash at all times of the day light hours despite the fact that solar input is significant, power output is minimal and batteries are at or near 100%.
@jimT - Do you have multiple batteries in a bank? Are they rack mounted? If yes & yes, can you check the tightness of each mounting screw to see if like others, you might have one looser than others? If you have no rack but do have multiple batteries, can you attach bonding wires to join the batteries' chassis? We're working on a theory that seems to work for at least two of us. (See post #15) Your reporting back would be most helpful. TIA!

Thank you for your response. The answer is "yes & yes". The rack I purchased had mounting holes misaligned but I managed to get at least one mounting screw in per battery. I will try the bonding wires, but is there a location on the battery to bond the wire to? This wire does not need to be connected to ground, correct?

Back