diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 EX Inverter setup issues.

Kluoco

Setup is 2 - EG4 6500 ex inverters
4 - EG4 LiFePower battery’s
I was wanting to run this system in split phase configuration, but I discovered some issues along the way.
First - When making the battery selection in the inverter menu #5 I could not choose the EG4 battery setting because a fault #61 would constantly flash saying comm loss with the battery. All comm cable connections were hooked up per manual. The only way to stop the alarm was to select battery type as user and input my own battery voltage settings. I really don’t care for all the communication cables, can I run without them and allow the inverter to know battery status just by old school voltage??
Second - When placing both inverters to the split phase connection, I identified one as 2P1 and the other as 2P2. After this setting had been made, I shut down both inverters and performed a restart. Upon restart, both inverters turned on, 2P1 only shows the battery icon, 2P2 shows the battery icon, A/C to D/C icon and Power output icon. Since 2P1 only shows battery icon it auto shuts down within about 20 seconds. Also with 2P1, it displays 2P1 in the top left hand corner along with the battery icon in the center. 2P2 doesn’t display its setting on the LCD screen in the top left hand corner. What’s going on? I would like to run these split phase to run my well.
Lastly - if both of these inverters get setup to run in the split phase configuration, can I only run a single string of solar panels
(120v@10 amps) to only one inverter to charge the batteries? Or do I have to balance solar inputs between inverters?
This system is only off grid.

Setup is 2 - EG4 6500 ex inverters
4 - EG4 LiFePower battery’s
I was wanting to run this system in split phase configuration, but I discovered some issues along the way.
First - When making the battery selection in the inverter menu #5 I could not choose the EG4 battery setting because a fault #61 would constantly flash saying comm loss with the battery. All comm cable connections were hooked up per manual. The only way to stop the alarm was to select battery type as user and input my own battery voltage settings. I really don’t care for all the communication cables, can I run without them and allow the inverter to know battery status just by old school voltage??
Second - When placing both inverters to the split phase connection, I identified one as 2P1 and the other as 2P2. After this setting had been made, I shut down both inverters and performed a restart. Upon restart, both inverters turned on, 2P1 only shows the battery icon, 2P2 shows the battery icon, A/C to D/C icon and Power output icon. Since 2P1 only shows battery icon it auto shuts down within about 20 seconds. Also with 2P1, it displays 2P1 in the top left hand corner along with the battery icon in the center. 2P2 doesn’t display its setting on the LCD screen in the top left hand corner. What’s going on? I would like to run these split phase to run my well.
Lastly - if both of these inverters get setup to run in the split phase configuration, can I only run a single string of solar panels
(120v@10 amps) to only one inverter to charge the batteries? Or do I have to balance solar inputs between inverters?
This system is only off grid.
Are you sure the settings are saving and everything is wired correctly? Your using the parallel com cable, batteries to both? Any pics of setup?
Lots of complaints on fault 61, run with user and your settings until they figure it out.
Very interested how these handle your well pump.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-085327.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-085327.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for your reply, I will take pictures and post them in a few hours when I get home. Yes both inverters are connected to battery, both output AC wiring in connected correctly, there is no grid input AC. Both inverters are tied together with the comm cable according to the manual.

Here are the pictures of my setup. I’ve scrolled all my setting on both inverters and they both have the exact same settings except for 2P1 and 2P2.

Attachments

• 3E53A5B1-1D00-4089-A316-E44891649717.jpeg
    3E53A5B1-1D00-4089-A316-E44891649717.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 9DE24D54-E771-4F02-B932-6066C6B43D19.jpeg
    9DE24D54-E771-4F02-B932-6066C6B43D19.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 273
Very nice and clean setup, nice work.
Other than checking for firmware updates / making sure they are both the same and quadruple checking all wiring, which I'm sure you have already done, I don't know what else to suggest.
@RichardfromEG4

When I disconnect both inverters and run them on SIG setting for single phase they work awesome. I’ve hooked up solar panels to each and they both charge the battery bank and discharge to loads. It’s just when I set them up split phase, the one I designate 2P1, the inverter performs an auto shutdown due to the fact that the inverter output icon is not lit up. I’ll have to call signature solar I’m guessing. Maybe someone else has experienced this, hopefully they find this blog

There was a firmware issue with the LV6548 in that it would not sync up as 2P1 and 2P2 until that firmware was updated. Perhaps the 6500 is having that same issue?

Follow up after trouble shooting the split phase configuration on the EG4 6500-EX inverters. During the initial inverter setup I used a single string of solar panels to power the first inverter while changing the settings, then I disconnected the panels and powered up the second inverter to perform its setup. However, when I powered each inverter with its own solar array, programmed them together, performed a shutdown and restart of the system, they both came online together. This appears to have been the issue. Both inverters are currently running split phase with no issues. Thanks for those who have their input and for all on the forum, it’s a wealth of information. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone with this system.

Follow up after trouble shooting the split phase configuration on the EG4 6500-EX inverters. During the initial inverter setup I used a single string of solar panels to power the first inverter while changing the settings, then I disconnected the panels and powered up the second inverter to perform its setup. However, when I powered each inverter with its own solar array, programmed them together, performed a shutdown and restart of the system, they both came online together. This appears to have been the issue. Both inverters are currently running split phase with no issues. Thanks for those who have their input and for all on the forum, it’s a wealth of information. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone with this system.
Glad to hear you got it figured out.
They start your well pump just fine and dandy?

Yes it runs great. It’s pulling about 1500 watts on each inverter. My A/C will not work and I’m assuming it’s because I need to install a soft start. It’s only a 2 ton system, I figured this setup would run it no problem.

Programmed mine on battery with solar off without much issue. Than I turned the solar on. Currently only have solar on one inverter.

Programmed mine on battery with solar off without much issue. Than I turned the solar on. Currently only have solar on one inverter.
It's good to know that in split-phase they will run with only one connected to solar. Thanks.

Yes it runs great. It’s pulling about 1500 watts on each inverter. My A/C will not work and I’m assuming it’s because I need to install a soft start. It’s only a 2 ton system, I figured this setup would run it no problem.
Have you stress tested the setup?
If not I suggest you run the inverters at full load for from full SOC to empty and check for hot spots all along the high current path using an IR thermometer.

I see issue with the battery configuration.
The batteries appear to be daisy chained in parallel with relatively thin wires, am I seeing that correctly?
Also Those busbars look a lot like the brass ones from amazon.

Why do you have a jbox and conduit that goes to glands and then to exposed busbars?
Are there splices in the jbox?

Pay special attention to the audio style breakers.

What kind and guage of wire are you using on the high current path?
It doesn't look like THHN, XHHW or welding cable.

The backer board looks like ship lap.
Am i seeing that correctly?

Just to be clear.
With both inverters running at max...
6500 ac watts /.85 inverter efficiency factor / 48 low cutoff = 159.31372549 inverter amps
159.31372549 inverter amps * 2 inverters = 318.62745098 service amps
318.62745098 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 398.284313725 fault amps

Assuming the inverters are daisy chained with 4 awg wire you could pull ~320 amps through 4 awg wire under normal operating conditions.
Pure copper 4 awg wire with 105C insulation(aka the good stuff) is rated for ~150 amps max before the insulation melts.
A single inverter at full bore would exceed that threshold let alone 2 inverters.

I am trying to digest all of that Thanks I think

Last edited:
Here are the pictures of my setup. I’ve scrolled all my setting on both inverters and they both have the exact same settings except for 2P1 and 2P2.
Nice. Where did you get the battery rack?.

Trying to reply to all the messages I missed.
The battery cables are what came with the batteries and yes they are small, they have to be made bigger. This current setup was to insure everything worked correctly, however I can still pull a decent load with this thin cable between the batteries. The battery cable is 4/0 underground cable that I cut open and removed individual strands ( and yes at the battery it’s connected to 6 awg. lol, it’s only temporary) The main conductors go into a junction box and conduit to the batteries just to keep it cleaner so heavy wires sent on the ground, I have kids and babies. The back board is just tongue and groove pine. I made the battery rack out of unistrut and heavy unistrut brackets. I have not stress tested this system without my upgraded battery cables. Also the bus bars are from amazon, however they said they could take up to 250 amps

I think someone commented on this setup that their maybe an issue I haven’t just covered in my reply. Please comment again, I want my setup to be correct. All input is welcome, thank you.

Back