diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 EX Inverter setup issues.

This for the positive side.
Also allows you to get rid of those dodgy audio style breakers.
And you get one free slot for expansion.
I assume you have a big class t fuse at the battery end of the big thick wire , confirm?

For the negative side just stack all three lugs on the same stud of the negative busbar.
That way the current flow is through the lugs and not the busbar.

Yes it runs great. It’s pulling about 1500 watts on each inverter. My A/C will not work and I’m assuming it’s because I need to install a soft start. It’s only a 2 ton system, I figured this setup would run it no problem.
Same inverters and battery setup , starts my old definitely non energy star rated 2.5 ton mini split with no issues. I have the battery cables that came with the Batts as well. My batteries tie to a bus bar individually, then bus bar has 2/0 wire to each inverter, via appropriate ocpd.

Ok, I just figured these breakers would be fine. I do have a 200 amp fuse behind the battery cabinet. Also I like the stacking negative lug idea, makes since. I’ll upgrade from those 200 amp breakers.

Oops you need 400 amps not 300.

If you want to save a bit of change get one of these

and modify according to this

Don't forget the 400 amp fuse at the battery side of the 4/0 awg feeder.

Follow up after trouble shooting the split phase configuration on the EG4 6500-EX inverters. During the initial inverter setup I used a single string of solar panels to power the first inverter while changing the settings, then I disconnected the panels and powered up the second inverter to perform its setup. However, when I powered each inverter with its own solar array, programmed them together, performed a shutdown and restart of the system, they both came online together. This appears to have been the issue. Both inverters are currently running split phase with no issues. Thanks for those who have their input and for all on the forum, it’s a wealth of information. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone with this system.
Is the fault code 61 still gone?

The fault code 61 is gone because on inverter setting #5 I selected user instead of EG4. If you select EG4 it will be there until signature solar can come up with a fix.

Isn’t there a shunt in the inverters?
I doubt it.
BTW did you see this resource?

The fault code 61 is gone because on inverter setting #5 I selected user instead of EG4. If you select EG4 it will be there until signature solar can come up with a fix.
Sorry I missed that detail. I am following a thread on 61 and Richard said he has another.

FWIW with the err 61 i had this as well - the battery comm cable was going the wrong direction. If you look at the rj45 connectors the one that goes into the inverter should only have 2 wires on it. its kinda flimsy looking end but i taped mine - once i did this err 61 went away

Nope, but then u need to set the inverter to the generic battery like you did. They just dropped an err 61 video on youtube...

FWIW with the err 61 i had this as well - the battery comm cable was going the wrong direction. If you look at the rj45 connectors the one that goes into the inverter should only have 2 wires on it. its kinda flimsy looking end but i taped mine - once i did this err 61 went away
Good to know, thanks

Here are the pictures of my setup. I’ve scrolled all my setting on both inverters and they both have the exact same settings except for 2P1 and 2P2.
your DC wires are far too long. I would try to keep everything from inverter to battery under 3 ft!

Yes it runs great. It’s pulling about 1500 watts on each inverter. My A/C will not work and I’m assuming it’s because I need to install a soft start. It’s only a 2 ton system, I figured this setup would run it no problem.
It should run no problem! Unless…you left program 28 in default phase (120*)
The screen should read for inverter L2:
2P2
Failure to do that will have definite problems for all 240volt loads yet 120 v loads would be unaffected. Under size battery lines can also cause problems with high loads. From each inverter to current interrupter 2/0 is what is recommended, however from interrupter/ common buss to battery a 4/0 for a two inverter common set of lines would be optimal(a (2/0 would be passable for 4 feet or less) if you were going to run 4 inverters you would need to double 4/0 and so on. Programming the “Voltronic” family inverters can be difficult or downright infuriating but they are a beast once it’s dialed in. Derate your loads when conditions are getting hot (95* or higher) and provide ventilation. All that difference of efficiency is going hang around as heat.

Back