diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 EX48

Thanks, I found it in the settings: harder to do when you get old as a goat!!
Sorry, I didn't have time to look at the specs earlier. So, I figured that I would tell you what you should be looking for.

Can anyone tell me if the EG4 6500 EX48 will allow me to use Solar first, Grid second and Batteries third? I need my batteries for grid down only. Thx

I dont think that what you asked is still really in the manual correctly. I happen to want to buy 2 of these and run in parallel so I looked at what you asked.

from what I read there is no exact wording for

SOLAR

UTILITY

BATTERY

while that does spell SUB for short, the manual of the 6500 outlines only Solar and Utility.

6500 Manual SUB mode selected :
Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, Utility energy will supply power to the loads at the same time.

6500 Manual SBU mode selected:
Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power to the loads at the same time. Utility provides power to the loads only when battery voltage drops to either low-level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

So SUB does not exactly explain that the B is for battery if S and U are not available. Are we to assume that battery is the 3rd backup device since the letter B is there?

I dont think that what you asked is still really in the manual correctly. I happen to want to buy 2 of these and run in parallel so I looked at what you asked.

SOLAR

UTILITY

BATTERY

while that does spell SUB for short, the manual of the 6500 outlines only Solar and Utility.

So SUB does not exactly explain that the B is for battery if S and U are not available. Are we to assume that battery is the 3rd backup device since the letter B is there?
Yes, that's what SUB mode is.
Battery powers the loads only after solar and Utility are not available.

SOLAR

UTILITY

BATTERY

Im guessing it's a misprint in that section of the manual. They have a U after the , which makes me think it's a misprint. Does the attached clear it up?
@RichardfromEG4

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-201640.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-201640.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 23
Boy, if we could only put all of these good tips and tricks somewhere in one place to use as a reference guide. It's just luck if you come across them as it is now.

Related question... Do you know if the new EG4 6k split phase inverter will support charging the battery at a predefined time? For example, I don't have solar but would like to run part of the load during the day using battery but only charge the battery at night (like after 8 pm when I have free grid power). So when the battery loses power, it will just switch to grid and not charge the battery until later. I see some setting but not sure if it is supported.

Growatt 5k supports this but I have to buy an extra transformer for 120v

Related question... Do you know if the new EG4 6k split phase inverter will support charging the battery at a predefined time? For example, I don't have solar but would like to run part of the load during the day using battery but only charge the battery at night (like after 8 pm when I have free grid power). So when the battery loses power, it will just switch to grid and not charge the battery until later. I see some setting but not sure if it is supported.

Growatt 5k supports this but I have to buy an extra transformer for 120v
Settings 30-33 will help you achieve this.

Deleted this post RE AC coupling... mistakenly posted in wrong message thread.
Sorry for the confusion; reposted in correct location.

Last edited:
Can someone from Signature Solar post an explanation and/or working guide RE AC coupling capability. (For use with existing Grid-Tie inverters)
A wiring diagram would be helpful to confirm how this feature operates.

Thank you.
View attachment 109773
AC coupling?
On an 6500?
Is that from the manual?
I have doubts of capability...........

Back