diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 capabilities vs. Sol-Ark 15k

Spoke with Dan at Trophy regarding my charge rates and time.

185 Amps, 92.5 amps per battery, is very easy on our batteries, You cold charge them faster if you wish as this is .4C which is very easy on the batteries. (92,5/230 = .40217301 = .4C)

40% DoD is also great.

115 Amps per battery would be .5C

So looks like I’m good where I sit.

Remember, you're running 220 Ah 48v cells. I was referencing 100 Ah eve Trophy batteries VS EG4 100 Ah.
You have a marvelous system.... hope I can get my plans into the authorities that be soon!

I’m very pleased so far. It wasn’t a cheap upgrade but it is performing better than expected. Now I have the solar system I always dreamed of.

Sol Ark 15 would give you lots of flexibility in any solar/utility environment. Grid tied or off grid. If you incorporate a generator it will manage that too. We have similar kWh usage and our 15k works perfectly. We have 13.2 kW solar, 460 Ah battery, standby generator. We are off grid 22 hrs a day and use the 2 hrs a day on grid to charge our batteries in the early AM when our TOU rates are often 2-3 cents per kWh. We also sell back to our utility at peak rates but all could elect no grid sell. The peak shaving is also a nice feature.
Your 13.2kwh pv array can't fill up 460 ah in batteries easily without pulling from the grid?

My array absoulutely charges the 460 Ah each morning when the sun comes up but I take advantage of our TOU rates as a force multiplier. Id rather charge my batteries at $0.015 to $0.025/kWh each night so that I am able to grid sell more of my PV generation at $0.10 to $0.15/kWh. The 460 ah use about 17.5 kWh to charge each night so it costs me about $0.35 per night. Currently, I am about 235kWh excess generation this billing cycle (20 days in) so I have spent approx $7.00 for charging batteries and I have sold my 235kWh excess for approx $28.00. Last month I had a $0.00 utility bill and I am anticipating another one this billing cycle. We are able to be "off grid" for 22.5 hrs a day and go "on grid for 1.5 hrs per day to charge our batteries. Working like a champ. This strategy is only applicable with TOU rates. If I were on fixed rate then my strategy would be completely different. I would then increase my storage and store all my production and only use the grid for backup.

Sorry for the delay we have been on vacation. The blue boxes are Victron Power In's. I use them as my buss bars. Great solution and they are rated at 1000 amps. Once I started looking at buss bars I decided that I couldn't build/buy anything much cheaper. They are safer, have covers on them and each battery can be fused.

Back