diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX and EG4 Lifepower4 intermittent 61 error

I know this sounds elemental, but have you guys tried reversing which end of the cable plugs into the inverter and which plugs into the battery? if you look the pins are in different spots on both ends.

I know this sounds elemental, but have you guys tried reversing which end of the cable plugs into the inverter and which plugs into the battery? if you look the pins are in different spots on both ends.
We have had some report that they have tried both ways and still get the issue - it's odd it seems to mostly happen at 100% but operate normally otherwise. A ghost in the system right now that we are investigating. So far, we've seen that it still operates correctly, it just flashes the error intermittently .

We have had some report that they have tried both ways and still get the issue - it's odd it seems to mostly happen at 100% but operate normally otherwise. A ghost in the system right now that we are investigating. So far, we've seen that it still operates correctly, it just flashes the error intermittently .
for me the inverter will shut down after flashing the 61 error for a half hour or so and that's at 50% SOC

for me the inverter will shut down after flashing the 61 error for a half hour or so and that's at 50% SOC
So in our research, these typically mean that the cable has is backwards, has the wrong PINOUT, or has 1 side using all 8 pins. Please verify that information - in the meantime you can change to the USE setting to allow the inverter to operate using voltage instead of comms.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
What would be the correct settings if using User-Defined in option 5. Specifically settings for 2, 26, 27 and 29. I am having the same intermittent fault code 61 when using the supplied com cable. Also, what functions will I not have by running user defined as apposed to having battery comms with the cable?

Been my observation, seem to be seeing it less since my batteries have been cycled a few times.

For the time being, I have found using the BMS battery software with the battery rj45 connected to my laptop to monitor the batteries is working well. You can set the address on the individual batteries and monitor them all. It provides all the pertinent information.

Is there any real advantage to the inverter communicating with the batteries other than it auto applies charge settings and the convienence of wifi monitoring via the app? I didn't have much luck getting the app to work anyway.

I'm seeing the inverter is not getting accurate information about the state of charge. The inverter app is showing 62% state of charge :Screenshot_20220617-104745.png

but the bms software is showing 30-40% state of charge:Screenshot 2022-06-17 104656.png

I have a good cable. It seems to me that the firmware in the EG4 has issues. But even more interesting is that it shows the correct state of charge shortly after connecting my laptop to the BMS. Something about connecting my laptop to the BMS is forcing the EG4 inverter to get the correct state of charge.

Last edited:
What would be the correct settings if using User-Defined in option 5. Specifically settings for 2, 26, 27 and 29. I am having the same intermittent fault code 61 when using the supplied com cable. Also, what functions will I not have by running user defined as apposed to having battery comms with the cable?
The eg4 batteries spec sheet is here --> https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/EG4/1511006-specs.pdf

it shows recommended bulk voltage and float voltage.
1655501097440.png

Great video I wished I had watched before my setup.

My problem is that I have always had a flashing battery icon so communication is good. Then the inverter gives me a 61. Then it clears in a few minutes. Then another 61. While it is beeping the 61, my battery is clearly charging not only from the SOC lights blinking on the lifepower4 batteries, but also from clamp meters.

Waiting for part 2 of the video addressing the other 5% of us, which is probably more like 50%. :)

Great video I wished I had watched before my setup.

My problem is that I have always had a flashing battery icon so communication is good. Then the inverter gives me a 61. Then it clears in a few minutes. Then another 61. While it is beeping the 61, my battery is clearly charging not only from the SOC lights blinking on the lifepower4 batteries, but also from clamp meters.

Waiting for part 2 of the video addressing the other 5% of us, which is probably more like 50%. :)
Haha, yes, on a public forum like this you tend to hear all the issues so it seems like a lot, but when I look at the sales numbers and tickets we've been answering it's an extremely small amount of people that continue to get errors after everything is plugged correctly.

I got a new cable from signature solar and still getting error code 61 during middle of the day (> 30amp charging). None of the suggestions on the video fixes the problem. Seeing the same thing as 5275K_Dude.

I cannot do anything to make it go away. My first thought was RS485 termination problem so I made a rj45 terminator both short and long. These BMSs have active terminations but why not be sure. That didn’t solve it but it did give me an option to put a scope on the signals. I can see the communication happen on the 485 bus bidirectionally at the end point even when it’s beeping with a “61-loss of comm”. To me that indicates a problem within the inverter itself. Whatever it is does not affect the charging or system operation but it is quite a nuisance when your wife continually says “Your batteries are beeping again”. Going to go to the user mode and avoid the beeps.

One thing I did notice was that in the wifi access to the inverter, there is no battery type option of eg4 to select.

But as much as I love troubleshooting stuff, I really love stuff that just works. Hoping their best engineer is on this. :)

Do you get coms working as described in the video? What do you do to make it go away in the middle of the day?
For me, it communicates fine 90% of the time, but during the middle of the day when the charging current is higher, I'll get fault 61 for a few seconds and then it clears on it's own. The fault will go on and off continually until the charging current lowers.

I cannot do anything to make it go away. My first thought was RS485 termination problem so I made a rj45 terminator both short and long. These BMSs have active terminations but why not be sure. That didn’t solve it but it did give me an option to put a scope on the signals. I can see the communication happen on the 485 bus bidirectionally at the end point even when it’s beeping with a “61-loss of comm”. To me that indicates a problem within the inverter itself. Whatever it is does not affect the charging or system operation but it is quite a nuisance when your wife continually says “Your batteries are beeping again”. Going to go to the user mode and avoid the beeps.

One thing I did notice was that in the wifi access to the inverter, there is no battery type option of eg4 to select.

But as much as I love troubleshooting stuff, I really love stuff that just works. Hoping their best engineer is on this. :)
You are probably aware that you can mute the alarm. I have mine muted so that my wife doesn't say the same thing to me. :) But I do think this is a software issue on the inverter. And yah, the app is hopelessly behind the firmware options on the inverter. The two bits of software are not in sync.

Last edited:
Back