diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Lights flickering

Dona40

I saw someone had a post on the 120 circuit flickering of lights. It worse with the LED bulbs but noticeable on incandescent and halogen types. I doesn't mater if I'm running on solar, battery or utility. My thought is that the inverter is putting out these blips. It can happen once in while or a couple times a second. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the phenomena. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing? I have everything short of an oscilloscope and can't find abnormal readings anywhere. I've tried taking them out of split phase, Current sharing and even just running one, then the other as a stand alone. Same thing. Any thoughts?

I have a pair and no flickering of any kind. I did put a cap at the hots due to my heat pump causing voltages to drop when I get lots of solar coming in. I did not notice any flickering before adding the cap. Add a 20uf cap and see if it resolves it. Worth a try at least.

I was thinking about trying that but didn't want to screw anything up. I put a call into Signature Solar but they want so many docs. and pictures and test results that I thought I might just try to resolve it myself. I have a hard time believing they haven't run into this before. I'm using the system to power a 40' coach and it runs through a surge protector. I guess the next step is to power the shop and see if I get the same results.

I've got a pair running in split phase and I'll get a blip on the LED lights if I turn on a large load.
This has nothing to do with large draws. It'll just sit there and blink in a non-rhythmic fashion even when nothing else is on. I think I need an oscilloscope. Have to talk the wife into that one.

This has nothing to do with large draws. It'll just sit there and blink in a non-rhythmic fashion even when nothing else is on. I think I need an oscilloscope. Have to talk the wife into that one.
Just a suggestion is all. My issue was not a huge draw either, it just didn't like my heat pump for whatever reason. I suspect there is something else in your setup that is causing the issue. You can get o-scopes for around 50 bucks. You don't need anything fancy. Always try the easiest and cheapest thing first.

I put an analog Amp meter on the battery cables this weekend. When the lights are flickering the amp meter is jumping wildly like it can't decide the draw from or charge the battery bank. Thoughts? You would think it would be a slow, controlled switch anyway.

I put an analog Amp meter on the battery cables this weekend. When the lights are flickering the amp meter is jumping wildly like it can't decide the draw from or charge the battery bank. Thoughts? You would think it would be a slow, controlled switch anyway.
I don't have my EG4 6000 system totally up and running....but I do have it wired into a couple of 120 volt outlets to do some testing....my led lights flicker until I run another load, such as an electric heater, then the flickering stops.

I have the the EG4 3000 and lights flicker like crazy. Voltage ranges from 118V-123V. Same thing - called Signature Solar and they sent an email with a pretty extensive to-do list. Just going to live with it I guess.

I have the the EG4 3000 and lights flicker like crazy. Voltage ranges from 118V-123V. Same thing - called Signature Solar and they sent an email with a pretty extensive to-do list. Just going to live with it I guess.
Same here. Doesn't seem worth the effort until I have nothing else to do with my time.

I don't have my EG4 6000 system totally up and running....but I do have it wired into a couple of 120 volt outlets to do some testing....my led lights flicker until I run another load, such as an electric heater, then the flickering stops.
Seems to be a common issue. You would think Signature Solar would be working on it.

I also have a similar issue, posted about it here. Only happens to me on grid mode, on circuits NOT being powered by the inverters. Tried messing around a bit with the grounding configuration at the suggestion of other forum members and no luck. Had Growatts previously and no issues, was just looking for more capacity and upgraded to the EG4s. Wife is concerned about safety and losing patience, was getting ready to submit a support request to SS. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, was thinking I might have received a defective unit or two. Hope for a resolution or at least an explanation soon!

I saw someone had a post on the 120 circuit flickering of lights. It worse with the LED bulbs but noticeable on incandescent and halogen types. I doesn't mater if I'm running on solar, battery or utility. My thought is that the inverter is putting out these blips. It can happen once in while or a couple times a second. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the phenomena. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing? I have everything short of an oscilloscope and can't find abnormal readings anywhere. I've tried taking them out of split phase, Current sharing and even just running one, then the other as a stand alone. Same thing. Any thoughts?
Add a 20 uF Cap to your Solar subpanel. Any cap rated for 240+V. I have a few Air Conditioner Run capacitor sitting around so I wired up a 15uF in my sub panel. You can also do a search for "20 uf". 20uf seems to be the common recommendation.

Edit to include one note on increased energy consumption. my 15 uF run capacitor consumes 12 watts at idle. But the LED flicker appears to be gone.

Last edited:
Add a 20 uF Cap to your Solar subpanel. Any cap rated for 240+V. I have a few Air Conditioner Run capacitor sitting around so I wired up a 15uF in my sub panel. You can also do a search for "20 uf"
I'll give that a try. Just to be clear though, 1 cap on each line or across both lines?

I'll give that a try. Just to be clear though, 1 cap on each line or across both lines?
I was looking for the post that had a good write up on it. These aren't my photos.

I wired my 15 uf Cap to a separate double pole breaker. Easy to turn on and off the Cap to verify that it is truly fixing the flicker.

Attachments

• 316355335_693922885376114_2329044713309499731_n.jpg
    316355335_693922885376114_2329044713309499731_n.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 316243182_2340603529430289_7795019152316460979_n.jpg
    316243182_2340603529430289_7795019152316460979_n.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 52
I have a Growatt, my LED lights flicker on grid only, which is a diesel generator. More I crank up the charging amps the dimmer the lights get. Very annoying and would like to figure it out. Before I had the growatt hooked up, I temporarily powered my cabin with a cheap Westinghouse generator and the lights really flickered, much worse than now.

I have a Growatt, my LED lights flicker on grid only, which is a diesel generator. More I crank up the charging amps the dimmer the lights get. Very annoying and would like to figure it out. Before I had the growatt hooked up, I temporarily powered my cabin with a cheap Westinghouse generator and the lights really flickered, much worse than now.
Check for a grounding loop.

I don't see any reason you couldn't add a cap to each leg individually. I haven't read of anybody doing it that way.

Back