diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Lights flickering

our May 22 with latest firmware does not have the issue, are you up to date on firmware?
They are running factory firmware that they were shipped with.

Edit: Maybe it's time that I buy the serial/usb cable and try the upgraded firmware.

Last edited:
A note I'm not seeing this and I am using a variety of cheap LED bulbs and flush mount panels lights. I have not updated my firmware. Received my units in Sept.

our May 22 with latest firmware does not have the issue, are you up to date on firmware?
They are now. U1 79.60 and U2 61.06 (I was under the impression that the newest firmware only helped with the error 61 so I never bothered to update.) Factory firmware was U1 79.02 and U2 61.01

It's the middle of winter (sun is scarce) so it may be a day or two before I can check on the flicker.

Have flickering issue with some LEDs as well. I belive it has a lot to do with phase noise (jitter) of 60Hz that comes from these inverters. Nothing to do with ground loops, bonding and etc (tried my setup with and without bonding screw). A quick fix would be finding some NON-DIMMABLE LEDs (bigger chances that non-dimmable leds won't flicker due to more simplistic schematic). I found a few Philips ones on Amazon and they don't flicker:

Yes, NON-DIMMABLE bulbs are harder to find unfortunately.

Have flickering issue with some LEDs as well. I belive it has a lot to do with phase noise (jitter) of 60Hz that comes from these inverters. Nothing to do with ground loops, bonding and etc (tried my setup with and without bonding screw). A quick fix would be finding some NON-DIMMABLE LEDs (bigger chances that non-dimmable leds won't flicker due to more simplistic schematic). I found a few Philips ones on Amazon and they don't flicker:

I have nothing but incandescent and they flicker like hell.....while my PV input is strongest. At the end of the day while the PV input is lower and while on battery only or battery and AC input pass through, absolutely no flicker. It's a good thing I don't use my lights during the day or it might induce a seizure.

I have nothing but incandescent and they flicker like hell.....while my PV input is strongest. At the end of the day while the PV input is lower and while on battery only or battery and AC input pass through, absolutely no flicker. It's a good thing I don't use my lights during the day or it might induce a seizure.
Interesting. My LEDs flicker regardless if I have solar or not while inverter is running in battery mode (with only LEDs connected or with other high loads). In your case looks like you get jumping Voltage amplitude (AC)... Never seen that but my solar array normally only gives me 600-900w. Maybe I could see similar behaviour with larger array.

Yep! That’s exactly it Scott. It’s likely an NG bond issue.

Yep! That’s exactly it Scott. It’s likely an NG bond issue.
IF it was NG bond issue, would it not happen all the time? Not just when the PV is strongest? It seems to me the controller is being variable, can't decide how much juice to allow in the system.

I have a lamp turned on when I'm working in the office. I really notice the flickering when PV fluctuates a lot. Granted, I'm running the light it at 25% of its output power, but still have issues even when I set it to full brightness.

Now I can confirm that it's not just during the day that I'm having issues. Last night the flickering really seemed to kick up. Didn't happen Saturday night, so I'm not sure what was different.

I do know that I only have a single NG bond in the MSP. Inverters don't have the bonding screws.

IF it was NG bond issue, would it not happen all the time? Not just when the PV is strongest? It seems to me the controller is being variable, can't decide how much juice to allow in the system.
My system also causes lights to flicker. It is worse during the day after the batteries are 100% SOC and the PV is only needed for AC output. At that point the AC output voltage also has higher fluctuation ranges, I'll insert screenshot from today. For example, my microwave light was flashing like a strobe, turn on the microwave and it stops; turn off the microwave and it strobes again.

@BenFromSignatureSolar in post #12 says a solution is being pursued. Ben is there any update?

You can see how the AC voltage fluctuation increases from no PV, to when PV starts to charge, and after charge is 100%.

02072023 PV 100 SOC AC Flux Small.jpg

Back