diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex's finally wired up.

Here is my setup now. As you can see, I’m pretty tight on space. Putting the Nader breakers in a Jbox will limit me even more. Waiting to hear back from the electrical inspector to see if the busbars also have to go in a Jbox.

View attachment 140661

View attachment 140663

If the bus bars also have to go in a Jbox it’s gonna be tough to fit everything, so I’m thinking I’ll replace the 4/0 to busbars with just 2x 2/0 cables. The 2x 2/0 positive will run to the HG-T 5 ways. And the 2x negative 2/0 will run straight to the inverters.

Does anyone see a problem with doing it like that? Could I potentially run 2x 2/0 of the positive while keeping the 4/0 negative to bus bars?

It might be possible to fit the negative busbar in a Jbox, but the positive is probably not going to work. I don’t like the way it sounds have 2x 2/0 positive and the 4/0 to busbar negative so maybe I’ll just spend the extra $ and get 2/0 for the negative too.
Ultimately it's probably gonna be all based on what your specific inspector says. I would think the breakers would have to be in boxes over the bus bars, but that's just my initial thought. Honestly you're setup is much cleaner than a lot of others I've seen.

Side note: every time I see you're setup with the picture of Will I get a good chuckle.

Side note: every time I see you're setup with the picture of Will I get a good chuckl

Did you run 4/0 from the battery bank to your bus bars and then run 2/0 from the bus bars to the disconnect and then the inverters?

I want to make sure the glands that come with that Jbox (HT-5 way) will work with 2/0.

I think I have the same disconnects as you, the
Yes, and I actually had to modify the glands a bit. But you could also get the correct glands and just drill the box to the gland specs. If I had to do it over, I would do it that way.

You can make solid busbars from copper flat bar instead of using cable for connections between breakers and busbar. Saves some room.

I saw the switched lugs and said: "Duh", thanks for that

and it is the HT-5 box, sweet

thank you
I have the Nader breaker but I am looking for the lug or more exactly the copper U that the connects too. Does anyone know where I can get just the copper bar and lug? Thank you

I have the Nader breaker but I am looking for the lug or more exactly the copper U that the connects too. Does anyone know where I can get just the copper bar and lug? Thank you
The lug you should be able to find online (and maybe in a home improvement store). Just search for "mechanical lug". Just need to find the right size for the cable. https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Conn-Lug-AWG-Cond/dp/B00BKAEIYI

The copper piece is probably a custom cut piece of copper bar stock.

The lug you should be able to find online (and maybe in a home improvement store). Just search for "mechanical lug". Just need to find the right size for the cable. https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Conn-Lug-AWG-Cond/dp/B00BKAEIYI

my lugs state: 60mm2, 2/0MCM

The copper piece is probably a custom cut piece of copper bar stock.

that is the conclusion I came to as well.
if someone finds a source, please share

the copper U is threaded too

I think SS has a good deal in their product

Last edited:
Back