diy solar

diy solar

EG4 batteries or Fortress eFlex for Sol-Ark 12k (x2)?

Famtraveler24

I am new to the group but not new to Wills videos. I am struggling to make a decision about what type of battery backup system to use. Cost is a large factor.

EG4 server units are clearly the cheapest. But I'm not sure how they compare against, e.g., Fortress eFlex. The Fortress batteries are certainly more expensive.

This is a significant investment and I want to ensure I'm getting the best value for the highest return.

I plan on using 2 Sol-Ark 12k units so I can power a 3 ton AC unit with soft start, as well as a well pump, septic pump and EV charger.

What should I do?

Thx.

Okay take the amount you are considering spending on eflex and then use that same money to buy SOKs. I'm guessing it's a much larger bank.

What about the SOK server rack batteries? That's what I want to get next but they won't help arrange a shipment to Hawaii unfortunately.

I have a couple EG4 Lifepower4 48v models and I absolutely love them, but based on your loads and inverter sizes, I think you would be one of the people complaining about how they can't handle surge amps at inverter startups, etc--UNLESS you buy a lot of them and have perfect wiring/current sharing maybe? They are getting notorious for the BMS being touchy about shutting down when you pull a lot of amps. I don't really know though because I don't run them with Solark12k's, I have smaller inverters and am pulling less amps. I only have 10kw total (2)--but they are a life changing tech compared to living on lead acid GC2's.

Buy some Victron Multiplus II 48/5000's and stack them until you have enough watts? (I have the 3000VA model) and hook them up to that huge rack of SOK 48V server rack batteries.

I'm not really sold on solark clearly, why do you want them? Are you grid tie, is that what justifies the prices? What is your overall design and use case?

Victron has low idle draws and the company has been around for a long time, and they have replaced my equipment when I broke it. Whereas, what's a solark?

I'm not really sold on solark clearly, why do you want them? Are you grid tie, is that what justifies the prices? What is your overall design and use case?

Victron has low idle draws and the company has been around for a long time, and they have replaced my equipment when I broke it. Whereas, what's a solark?
The sol-ark is has every certification under the sun for UL listing, grid tied certifications, etc. Victron has none of them, but has been saying "Its coming soon!" for years now.

If Victron made inverters capable with of grid feedback and certified for it, as well as all the features that Sol-Ark does provide, I would be buying them in a heartbeat, but they seem to cater to the EU market more than anything, so it makes it a little more difficult for us in the US.

Sol-Ark also boasts an extremely low idle consumption for their inverters as well, Victron is not alone in that category. Sol-Ark is also very well known for their customer service and support, just like Victron is.

Not knocking Victron in any way, as I said, I would buy them in a heartbeat if it fit my needs.

Back