diy solar

diy solar

EG4 batteries screw issue.

I tried vice grips I can’t quite get hold of them.

:oops:
That doesn't quite... sound possible. They have quite a big head.
Sorry to suggest over-obvious things but... have you sprayed them with WD-40 or the like, let them soak for a while, grabbed them sideways - not head-on - and turned (anticlockwise ;·) towards the inside of the pliers? Meaning, towards the short bit, opposite the tightening screw? Try pre-tightening them a bit more... I mean, no screw can resist that, not with that surface to grab. Easy enough to break them, actually.
-

The same free screwdriver that came with your casters from your other thread? Looks like ph1 screws for the casters, ph2 for the rack..... ASRINIEY Casters, 2" Caster Wheels, Orange Polyurethane Castors, Top Plate Swivel Wheels, Casters Set of 4, Locking Casters for Furniture and Workbench, Heavy Duty Casters, 4 Pack Casters with Brake https://a.co/d/bitWsRz

You spent how much on batteries and racks, spend some money on good tools...

Good luck.

I would throw away from the bottom 2,3,5,6
Never use 1 and 4 on those screws, #1 Phillips have the wrong angle and fill to turn that screw.
Only the top screwdriver has a good #2 Phillips tip.
If you have a pair of electrician linesman pliers the cross hatch tips bite best.

My advice if you don't have a good gripping tool to turn the head is get the top screwdriver, push VERY HARD INTO THE SCREW HEAD, AND TURN.
It's pretty augered out, but the right tip might grab it if you push in hard while turning.

these are a good option when you exhaust the driver option.

07831397.jpg

Among other things I do appliance repair for a living and have found the screwdrivers like the top one with the replaceable tip seem to fit & grip screws better, plus if you buy replacement tips is bulk there's never an excuse to use a worn out screwdriver.

I do use an impact driver whenever I run across a seized screw or one that's buggered up and they work great, but when even that doesn't work I use a dremel tool with a very thin cutting disc and cut a slot in the head and use a flat screw driver. Vise grips do work when enough of the head is sticking up but for me that's rarely the case when it comes to screws.

I don't own or have ever used any type of screw extractor but I don't see why they wouldn't work in a lot cases.

Best tip of the day is the one above about using the Dremel tool to cut a slot for a flat blade screw driver. That trick has saved me many times over the past 25 years.

I don’t have an impact driver (I ordered one on Amazon) maybe when that gets here this will no longer be a problem. A friend let me borrow his heat gun thinking maybe that would allow the screw to losses up but I’m afraid to apply heat to the battery. I will probably just wait for the impact screwdriver to arrive.

I would throw away from the bottom 2,3,5,6
Never use 1 and 4 on those screws, #1 Phillips have the wrong angle and fill to turn that screw.
Only the top screwdriver has a good #2 Phillips tip.
If you have a pair of electrician linesman pliers the cross hatch tips bite best.
Totally agree I need some new tools. To be honest I don’t know what I don’t know. I have learned a lot on this forum and YouTube with Will. Never had anyone to teach me these things. So I’m thankful for the feedback. I had never heard of an impact driver until now.

I do but after 35 years the cross hatch is but a shadow and my #2 phillips is like a scratch awl. Got any other suggestions?;)

Attachments

• 20220625_155850.jpg
    20220625_155850.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 10
As I said…put the best fitting screw driver in and give it a good bang with a hammer. It is the same principle as removing the retaining screw on a vehicle brake drum.

But take a look at your screw driver ends to make sure that they aren’t chewed up. Looking at the bottom screw it is chewed up from not using the correct screwdriver with adequate pressure.

Last edited:
I still smile with my DeWalt impact driver-- one of the purchases I have made that makes me appreciate the benefit of the right tool for the job. (Antithecal to the osscilating tool... the wrong tool for everything, but it still works!)

As I said…put the best fitting screw driver in and give it a good bang with a hammer. It is the same principle as removing the retaining screw on a vehicle brake drum.

But take a look at your screw driver ends to make sure that they aren’t chewed up. Looking at the bottom screw it is chewed up from not using the correct screwdriver with adequate pressure.

I have used a similar method when I had some rusted stuck allen head screws and I didn't have any allen head bits to fit my impact driver. I could have use heat but didn't have my torch handy so I had someone tap hard with a hammer right next to the screw while I was trying to unloosen them and they would break loose.

I assume it works by sending a shock wave through the metal which temporarily opens spaces around the threads. Heat also works by opening up space around the threads. Penetrating oil works by reducing friction if you can get it into the threads. Diesel fuel works great as a penetrant because if there even the tiniest opening diesel will find it.

Back