diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 batteries to Growatt 12k to power whole house

willshakespeare

Sorry to ask but have tried to find answer to this everywhere - building a system to power my house on battery (no solar)
Have free nights plan for 8pm - 6am
Use battery 6 am - 8 pm & charge batteries at night

Two systems:
No. 1
6 eg4 lifepo4 batteries (30k)
Growatt 12k inverter
This will directly power 1st main breaker panel - has 3 AC units - two 5 ton and one 3 ton ac
These are the main loads, others like pool pump/ev I’ll mainly use at night

No.2
Similar battery + inverter
Will power 2nd main breaker panel - 3 furnace blowers, 3 refrigerators, heavy media, surveillance camera

I’ve monitored yearly usage and am approximating 100kw per 24hours and likely 60kw in daytime

Don’t plan to go completely off grid as that would be a red flag - hoping to drain batteries to 20% before grid goes on

Questions and these will be super helpful as I’m an absolute amateur -
1. Will the setup start the AC units or should I look for a bigger inverter like sunsolar 18kw ?
2. Should I go for parallel inverters to power up the ac ?
3. Any other setup is recommended for an amateur ?

Obviously I’ll be hiring an electrician for the grid wiring , fuses etc. with this model I’ve got a break even abt 6 years with battery life of 15+

Thank you so much

Can't comment on whether the AIO's are large enough. Only you know your loads.
I would recommend stacked units. It's easy to add more later, if needed as you grow. And having redundancy is always a plus.
Other than that. What you want to do is not too complicated.

I have the Growatt 12k, 20kWh of Lifepower4 batteries and a 4-ton HVAC with an EasyStart 368. This setup is for emergency backup use only. I haven't tried it with the HVAC yet but once the weather is better I will try it out. You should definitely get soft starters for your HVAC units if they are the single speed low efficiency type. This guy uses his Growatt units for HVAC and hasn't had any issue with the 12k version:

Three larger HVAC units are going to draw a lot of power if they are running all day. You may need more batteries.

How certain are you that the power company won't change your rate plan for the next five year? Do you have a contract in writing where the power company will keep the rate structure the same?

How much shift in usage would they actually consider to be a "red flag". 10%?, 25%?

I don't think anybody here can answer those questions for you. And any change to your electric rates would drastically change the payback period

At that point, it's easy to add solar.
Solar is the cheapest part of a system. And you already have everything else.

Thank you all for the responses - much appreciated! Solar is definitely my first choice but I just spent a lot to get my roof done & don’t want to mess up the look with solar , maybe I’ll look into installing panels on the side yard

Back