diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Battery and Inverter Power Compatibility - Demo Videos

Solar Guy Richard

Solar Addict
Hello everyone! At Signature Solar, we want to make the entire process of purchasing batteries easier - regardless of whether you have purchased an inverter we offer. With that in mind, we have recently begun shooting videos showing our batteries working with inverters from a number of different companies. This post will be updated with each model including a video showing the battery operating the inverter. This compatibility does not include communications, it is simply showing the operation of the inverter using the batteries.

Full Playlist

Inverters By Brand
Schneider
XW6848 - EG4LL Battery
XW6848 - EG4 LifePower4 Battery

Magnum
MS4024 PAE - EG4 LifePower4 Battery
MS4448 PAE - EG4 LifePower4 Battery

Outback
VFXR3648A - EG4 LifePower4 Battery

This list will continue to grow as we test additional inverters. If you have an inverter you would like us to test, let us know in the comments below and we will see if we can make it happen. Thanks!

Last edited:
NOTE:
Not to confuse 'Inverter Compatibility' with 'Supports Inverter-to-BMS Communication'

If the inverter cannot read BMS and SoC from it (via comm cable connection), the compatibility is limited to:

It works to provide power to the inverter to run appliances, and inverter can charge the battery, but inverter will not be able to read SoC values from battery BMS, unless the user connected a comm cable and confirmed the protocol between the two units achieve successful communication (SoC can be read from inverter)...

Just wanted to make this distinction since the title of the thread kind of threw me off after watching the videos, and they refer to basic function of 'compatibility'...

I do believe SS markets their Growatt ES as being able to achieve successful BMS communication with the EG4 / Gyll batteries (if I'm remembering right, correct me if I am wrong)...

Last edited:
NOTE:
Not to confuse 'Inverter Compatibility' with 'Supports Inverter-to-BMS Communication'

If the inverter cannot read BMS and SoC from it (via comm cable connection), the compatibility is limited to:

It works to provide power to the inverter to run appliances, and inverter can charge the battery, but inverter will not be able to read SoC values from battery BMS, unless the user connected a comm cable and confirmed the protocol between the two units achieve successful communication (SoC can be read from inverter)...

Just wanted to make this distinction since the title of the thread kind of threw me off after watching the videos, and they refer to basic function of 'compatibility'...

I do believe SS markets their Growatt ES as being able to achieve successful BMS communication with the EG4 / Gyll batteries (if I'm remembering right, correct me if I am wrong)...
Exactly. I'll update my original post to clarify.

Might also be useful to note firmware versions where appropriate.
Yes I agree.
In addition, the videos did not capture the sart up processing of these inverters.
It also did not have charge controller wired in and other components.

Yes I agree.
In addition, the videos did not capture the sart up processing of these inverters.
It also did not have charge controller wired in and other components.
For each of these videos, the start up was identical: We turned on the batteries. In any video where additional steps are necessary, we will gladly include that in the video. In fact, on one of the Schneider videos, you have to push the power button to start inverting - which is shown on video.

Regarding charge controllers and other components, we can't literally make 1000's of videos of the same battery and inverter showing different charge controllers or the thousands of other components that could be different in each install. We are doing our best to show our batteries operating inverters. I do agree and will update the post/videos with the version of firmware where appropriate.

For each of these videos, the start up was identical: We turned on the batteries. In any video where additional steps are necessary, we will gladly include that in the video. In fact, on one of the Schneider videos, you have to push the power button to start inverting - which is shown on video.

Regarding charge controllers and other components, we can't literally make 1000's of videos of the same battery and inverter showing different charge controllers or the thousands of other components that could be different in each install. We are doing our best to show our batteries operating inverters. I do agree and will update the post/videos with the version of firmware where appropriate.
I'd like to address the components aspect again: We are trying to show our batteries working with inverters in as minimal of a set up as possible - that is to say we want the battery, the inverter, and a load. As soon as we start adding any additional 3rd party items we run into what is causing issues etc.

I'd like to address the components aspect again: We are trying to show our batteries working with inverters in as minimal of a set up as possible - that is to say we want the battery, the inverter, and a load. As soon as we start adding any additional 3rd party items we run into what is causing issues etc.

You might also look into including parts in the videos to talk about the charging profiles, and how to confirm that those various inverters are set properly to maintain maximum LiFePO4 battery life, get the most out of your investment.

I know on Magnums for example, they don't have a LiFePO4 profile (at least my MS2812 doesn't), they are set to lead-acid profile by default, so in order to use the charger on those with LiFePO4 effectively, you have to set your manual settings in the Custom profile, otherwise you might trip your BMSs all the time on high limits.

I don't know, maybe the EG4 / Gyll BMSs, are good about stopping charging, and no manual resetting required on BMS if it trips on high / low limits... I don't have any experience with those batteries yet... It seems it is not graceful when a BMS has to disconnect an AIO to stop charging being forced at it though (BMS should be the last line of defense, not the normal operating limit control)...

Last edited:
I know I am being rude and I don't care if I am banned on this forum.
But at this point I am saying all of this videos is rubbish.
I posted twice that Signature solar Technicians did not show clearly how the inverters in these test started up.
I think I am done with them and eg4 batteries and even recommending growatts or eg4 batteries to anyone

I know I am being rude and I don't care if I am banned on this forum.
But at this point I am saying all of this videos is rubbish.
I posted twice that Signature solar Technicians did not show clearly how the inverters in these test started up.
I think I am done with them and eg4 batteries and even recommending growatts or eg4 batteries to anyone
Honestly, what more could we do other than improve the video quality. We show the system in an off configuration. We turn on the batteries, and show any steps to turn on the inverter. We show the inverter powering a load. Please explain exactly what more you would like to see. We do clearly show them starting up. I am completely baffled by your complaint. Help me improve by giving constructive feedback, currently your feedback isn't helping anyone.

All very nice and shiny sales talk but you still cannot help a customer an hour away from you. I just do not get it.
You have a 32 page thread discussing the issue trying to help, not listening to good technical advice you are getting for free, but you go ahead and spend time on some glossy video sales talk.

But for clarity i will summarize for both systems i have had this bad experience.

Schneider Electric XW 4548 system Wired to a Midnite solar DC disconnect for all dc wring . Squad D panel for Ac wiring.
This system was an existing system that functioned for 10 years without issues. Full river AGM batteries finally gave up so client wanted to go lithium.
The swap was simple and straight forward just replacing the batteries.
Upon commissioning there was a series of issues in getting the Inverter to start up using normal start up procedures which is after battery connection.
New Outback radian 8048 with Outback GS load Centre all fresh wiring

Procedures used that didn't yield start up of inverter( No AC or parasitic DC loads on battery batteries charged to full)
1st procedure on bot
1.Switch on SS battery breakers (4packs on a SS battery cabinet) one at a time give time for each to start up.
2.Switch on Inverter Breaker on Midnite DC disconnect.
3.Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)

2nd procedure
1.Switch on Inverter Breaker on Midnite DC disconnect.
2.Switch on one SS battery breaker
3..Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)
4.Attempt to switch more than one SS batteries thinking one battery is not enough.
5.Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)

System operated for two days then Inverter blew up upon attempting to turn off or on thus the manifestation of Outback system below.
So Signature solar this seems to be costing me money too its not easy forking out $US7000.
I thought the issue was with Schneider products only. Turns out it is with all major brands.

Procedures used that start up of inverter( No AC (AC breakers off)or parasitic DC loads on battery batteries charged to full)

1.Switch on all SS battery
2.Turn on Charge controller during the day with above 5amps going to battery.
3..Switch on Inverter Breaker on Midnite DC disconnect.
Inverter turns on.

Turning inverter on when the sun in not out i.e no amps going to Battery
1.Connect SS lithium charger (Must buy from SS)
2.Switch on all SS battery
Inverter turns on.

This is true for one or all SS battery turned to the on position.
Nb: All batteries were charged with SS lithium charger before installation.

At this time i am not sure my video of the issue turning on both the Outback vfx 3648 and Radiuan would do me or anyone any good because a video was posted with a Victron showing the same issue and Signature solar has not responded.

I say again THIS ISSUE IS NOT ISOLATED>

If its not i am challenging SS to swap inverters I am willing to pay shipping to half way across the world for both.

But for clarity i will summarize for both systems i have had this bad experience.

Schneider Electric XW 4548 system Wired to a Midnite solar DC disconnect for all dc wring . Squad D panel for Ac wiring.
This system was an existing system that functioned for 10 years without issues. Full river AGM batteries finally gave up so client wanted to go lithium.
The swap was simple and straight forward just replacing the batteries.
Upon commissioning there was a series of issues in getting the Inverter to start up using normal start up procedures which is after battery connection.
New Outback radian 8048 with Outback GS load Centre all fresh wiring

Procedures used that didn't yield start up of inverter( No AC or parasitic DC loads on battery batteries charged to full)

1st procedure on bot
1.Switch on SS battery breakers (4packs on a SS battery cabinet) one at a time give time for each to start up.
2.Switch on Inverter Breaker on Midnite DC disconnect.
3.Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)

2nd procedure
1.Switch on Inverter Breaker on Midnite DC disconnect.
2.Switch on one SS battery breaker
3..Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)
4.Attempt to switch more than one SS batteries thinking one battery is not enough.
5.Inverter attempts to start then battery goes into fault mode (red light)

System operated for two days then Inverter blew up upon attempting to turn off or on thus the manifestation of Outback system below.
So Signature solar this seems to be costing me money too its not easy forking out $US7000.
I thought the issue was with Schneider products only. Turns out it is with all major brands.

Procedures used that start up of inverter( No AC (AC breakers off)or parasitic DC loads on battery batteries charged to full)

1.Switch on all SS battery
2.Turn on Charge controller during the day with above 5amps going to battery.
Inverter turns on.

Turning inverter on when the sun in not out i.e no amps going to Battery
1.Connect SS lithium charger (Must buy from SS)
2.Switch on all SS battery
Inverter turns on.

This is true for one or all SS battery turned to the on position.
Nb: All batteries were charged with SS lithium charger before installation.
Sounds like we have exactly the same thing going on. I've tried every possible scenario to get my eg4 lifepower to fire up my schneider xw pro 6848 and have the exact same results as you. Turns on instantly and no problem with both crown cr430 flooded lead acid batteries and a discover lithium battery. I'm surprised signature solar hasn't requested battery serial numbers from affected users in an attempt to see if the problem is limited to a certain "batch" of batteries.

Sounds like we have exactly the same thing going on. I've tried every possible scenario to get my eg4 lifepower to fire up my schneider xw pro 6848 and have the exact same results as you. Turns on instantly and no problem with both crown cr430 flooded lead acid batteries and a discover lithium battery. I'm surprised signature solar hasn't requested battery serial numbers from affected users in an attempt to see if the problem is limited to a certain "batch" of batteries.
Exactly,
I have even put a small lithium battery that i have to power up the outback and viola its alive.
i want to suspect there is a batch issue too.

based on this experience i an not doing business or recommending gull batteries to anyone.

All very nice and shiny sales talk but you still cannot help a customer an hour away from you. I just do not get it.
You have a 32 page thread discussing the issue trying to help, not listening to good technical advice you are getting for free, but you go ahead and spend time on some glossy video sales talk.
We have sent him a programming cable and are connecting with him on Thursday.

I’m doing tons to figure this out and so is Signature Solar. Sometimes I’m waiting on a response from an engineer or from the manufacturing so I make a shiny video. I really want to do it all and as fast as possible. I did have a family emergency this week but hope to keep moving forward, I promise I’m not trying to fail.

Back