diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Battery charging issue using coms

ChillnGrill

Solar Enthusiast
I made a call to SS 2 weeks ago about my batteries over charging using coms. I was told to put in use mode and set charge to 55v and float 54 for two weeks to let the BMS learn. Also put a high draw on the batteries every morning for those 2 weeks to get voltage below 52v as instructed . Well today after switching back to eg4 mode batteries went over 57v and had cell over voltage, charging MOS off shutdown, cell over voltage alarm, total overvoltage alarm again. I feel like the last 2 weeks were a waste of time I should call SS again but I have very little service at my off grid place. Maybe someone on here from SS could tell me what I should do now.

How many batteries in your battery bank?
Do they all go over voltage or just a few?
Have you tried top balancing each battery individually and then reconnecting them?
What type EG4 inverter and what type EG4 batteries?

6 x EG4 lifepower 48v
All packs go over
Charged all packs to 100% before hooking to the system with eg4 charger
2 x EG4 6500ex split phase 240v

I made a call to SS 2 weeks ago about my batteries over charging using coms. I was told to put in use mode and set charge to 55v and float 54 for two weeks to let the BMS learn. Also put a high draw on the batteries every morning for those 2 weeks to get voltage below 52v as instructed . Well today after switching back to eg4 mode batteries went over 57v and had cell over voltage, charging MOS off shutdown, cell over voltage alarm, total overvoltage alarm again. I feel like the last 2 weeks were a waste of time I should call SS again but I have very little service at my off grid place. Maybe someone on here from SS could tell me what I should do now.
What batteries do you have?

This
BMS communications strikes again.
Go back to USE setting.
Problem solved.
Also, post a photo of your wiring. Is wiring equal length between batteries? Is there any additional resistance between connections? Have you checked for voltage drop between connections?
I'm running 2 DIY 230ah packs with JBD BMS's and a TP6048 inverter open loop...
I made sure all my crimps were good and my positives and negatives between packs were equal lengths to the buss bars (I don't know how much this really matters, they should balance out at the top and bottom anyway. I learned from Tim ??)
I have my bulk ~3.55v, float ~3.45v. I have no issues keeping packs within 5% of each other and cells within a few mV of each other. I'll be adding 2 more packs before winter and wire the same way.

So many posts about problems with comms on these EG4 setups and making sure firmware is up to date. Ditch the darned comms; ensure your connections are optimal and settings appropriate, you'll be better off. (just my honest opinion)

This

Also, post a photo of your wiring. Is wiring equal length between batteries? Is there any additional resistance between connections? Have you checked for voltage drop between connections?
I'm running 2 DIY 230ah packs with JBD BMS's and a TP6048 inverter open loop...
I made sure all my crimps were good and my positives and negatives between packs were equal lengths to the buss bars (I don't know how much this really matters, they should balance out at the top and bottom anyway. I learned from Tim ??)
I have my bulk ~3.55v, float ~3.45v. I have no issues keeping packs within 5% of each other and cells within a few mV of each other. I'll be adding 2 more packs before winter and wire the same way.

So many posts about problems with comms on these EG4 setups and making sure firmware is up to date. Ditch the darned comms; ensure your connections are optimal and settings appropriate, you'll be better off. (just my honest opinion)
Without coms in use setting I can only go up to 55v without overvoltage

Back