diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Brightmount question

stanfosd

I am looking at economical options for a small ground mount array. Personally, I am looking at starting with 1 row of 14 or 16 panels, then possibly expanding to a second row in the future.

As I am looking at options I came across the EG4 Brightmount at Signature Solar. I really want to like this option. It has a nice price, is simple and looks nice. However, I am a bit concerned with the fixed 25* angle. As I am located in west central Ohio, am I being silly worrying about this? I would prefer something that has a good angle for year-round use, where this seems to be much better suited for summer months.

It depends on when you need the most power. Run some simulations in PV watts (linked in my signature) at different angles then compare that to when you need the power. 25 degrees might be perfect for you.

Of course a steeper angle will be better for winter but it will catch more wind thus beefier racking and more concrete is needed.

While that's a very attractive price on a rack it's not without drawbacks. It puts the bottom of the panels really close to the ground unless you get creative with some sort of pier or something else. Low to the ground means more chance of lawnmower damage plus I'm guessing you get snow that hangs around for a while in Ohio?

I'd want to get the bottom the panels 2' or more off the ground at a minimum.

I'm in west central Oh as well. I bought 3 of the Bright Mounts. For the money, it's a good deal. Have not put them together yet but have looked them over. Best advise sense your in my area is to study your place where the best place is. That would be south. I have 8-395w 144-half cut cell, bi-fi, panels up. pointed south. From 930am-5pm on a sunny day, I keep my batteries charged. As well as running other stuff all at the same time using a split phase 6k inverter. Summer months panels are about 74 degrees and winter take them down to 37 degrees the lowest movement I can do. Works well. I'm completely off the grid if there is sun a day before or a day after. You will need to conserve, make changes, to make it all come together. I plan to mount my Bright mounts on to hay wagons. You could mount them on timbers and them put weight on the ends to hold them down, be creative and save money.

You could mount them on timbers and them put weight on the ends to hold them down, be creative and save money.
Thanks for this. I've been wanting to set up a less than permanent array and I don't know why that didn't occur to me but it's perfect.

I am looking at economical options for a small ground mount array. Personally, I am looking at starting with 1 row of 14 or 16 panels, then possibly expanding to a second row in the future.

As I am looking at options I came across the EG4 Brightmount at Signature Solar. I really want to like this option. It has a nice price, is simple and looks nice. However, I am a bit concerned with the fixed 25* angle. As I am located in west central Ohio, am I being silly worrying about this? I would prefer something that has a good angle for year-round use, where this seems to be much better suited for summer months.
New brightmount is adjustable 25* to 45*. I believe these came out last night

I'd go with an 18'L 6x6 4x6 or 4"x8" treated post, like you can buy at lumber yard. You need the extra width so the mount lag bolts you will need to buy don't split the wood during stress like a 4"x4" might cause. The extra length will give you room for your weight. Might add some thing to the front for support and angle as well. Will not be considered a structure sense its just laying on the ground, keeping the tax man from adding to your R.E. taxes.

Im looking at these also but the ground clearance is a concern. If you install as they recommend with 50cm square x 85cm deep concrete piers - that comes to 12 80lb bags of concrete per pier (4x) and that only gives you 2.8" of ground clearance fully tilted to 45 deg. Other than that the design and price seems hard to beat. Im searching a creative solution to use this mount further off the ground without 48 bags of concrete for one 4 panel section.

Higher off the ground, the sail effect starts. That requires some deeper holes and footings plus larger diameter holes. My mount has holes 7.5 feet deep and 36 inches in diameter. And yes, I called up the redi mix truck, the two holes cost just over $400 to fill. It's not that much yardage to fill a round hole with a pipe in the center. Pipe can be used oil well pipe, my next mount I will fab myself and use 7 inch oil well pipe because it is cheap. Look for calculators online for sign foundations to calculate the needed foundation. I assume in Ohio the frost goes down probably at least 4 feet, I suggest you ensure the pole foundations go below the frost line. Around here they like to hammer in steel posts for arrays, the frost heaves the poles and you see arrays that have the wave down the length of the array. I wonder how many panels end up cracked.

Im looking at these also but the ground clearance is a concern. If you install as they recommend with 50cm square x 85cm deep concrete piers - that comes to 12 80lb bags of concrete per pier (4x) and that only gives you 2.8" of ground clearance fully tilted to 45 deg. Other than that the design and price seems hard to beat. Im searching a creative solution to use this mount further off the ground without 48 bags of concrete for one 4 panel section.
Not sure where you got 48 bags of concrete from? I have atttached mine to concrete pillars using 6 foot form tubs and each tube took 2 80 pound bags.

Back