diy solar

diy solar

EG4 error 61 fault even after the fix, anyone else??

Kluoco

When I first setup my EG4 system the error code 61 wasn’t resolved for the EG4 6500ex inverters so I selected user on program 5 and set my bulk charge to 57.6v and the float to 54v. After the error code 61 communication fix I selected the EG4 setting on program 5 and everything was good. EG4 setting has float and bulk at 58v. However the error code 61 still comes in and out, the fix is unplugging the cat 5 cable and plugging in back in. I’m over all the technical crap, I’m feeling that I should remove all comm cables and go back to user and set my voltages again. Anyone else having this same stupid ridiculous problem?

Many people have been having the error code 61 with the eg4 all-in-one 6500 watt inverter. I have heard many people give different ideas and thoughts on how to fix the problem. I’m extremely new to all of this, so I’m going to break it down in the absolute basic terms that it was given to me to fix the problem. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. The following is a step-by-step recount of exactly what I learned from Ryan at signature solar tech support after spending 3 hours on the phone. Ryan is awesome, and I told him I would post this online so he didn’t have to spend so much time explaining these things to people like me who don’t know anything.
It has already been posted about the firmware issue and the pin issue in the rs485 cable. I have the correct cable. I have a firmware issue that is causing my problem. I dont have the firmware download cable yet but this fixes it anyway.
First, the rs485 cable can only go one way, the end that has the White Band has to go into the battery. There is a battery connection cable that must go from the right port of the master battery to the left port of the next slave battery. You do this in succession with each additional battery, from right port to left port. You will also see 4 very small switches on the battery. Those switches must be set different for each battery, you can pick however you want them to be set, so long as they are each different so that the system can identify them independently for inter battery communication.
Once that is done follow these simple steps and you will fix your problem.
Once the cables and dip switch configurations are set as explained above, turn on your master battery only and let it initialize. Then turn on your other batteries one by one letting each one initialize before you move to the next battery. If your inverter does not come on, then press the power button one time and wait for the countdown to complete and for it to initiate.
Then press the return button on the inverter. You want to select EG4. You will then use the up or down arrows to toggle to setting 05. If you see setting 99 first toggle down the other direction. When you get to setting five press enter and toggle to USE, for some semblance of user, you are setting it for “user-defined”. Press enter to save the user setting and then toggle with the up or down arrow to setting number 26. Set that to 55.5
Set the float to 54.0 at setting 27. Save and proceed to setting number 29.
Make setting number 29= 46.0
This will leave you with an inverter cut off at 20% of battery life left.
After you have saved these values exit and turn your batteries off.
Restart your master battery, allow it to initiate, and start each successive battery allowing them to initiate. Turn on your inverter and use it without the annoying error code 61. Enjoy 

Last edited:
when you set battery type to USER defined this means there is no communication between battery and inverter . you could remove the com cable and nothing will happen .

The dip switches only matter if the inverter is in eg4 battery mode. If it’s in USEr, no, dip switches do not matter. Nor does the cable. The inverter just “manages” the batteries by monitoring voltages on the main battery links.

Back